Almost lost a socket

Old April 6th 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

Default Almost lost a socket

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Vic Smith > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:10 -0500, "DemoDisk" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep

spark
> >>plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it

pulls
> >>the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
> >>
> >>I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong

grabbers,
> >>and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
> >>ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
> >>hardware store.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Jm
> >>

> > A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
> > You get the idea.
> >

> This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question
> in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.
>
> I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.
>
> Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

Hey, Tegger. I always thought people hated cross posting because it's so
easy. I posted separately to about seven different groups to elicit more
'their' NG with cross-posting.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't ...

Old April 6th 10, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 5, 7:32*pm, "DemoDisk" > wrote:
> I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
> plug port. *There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
> the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
>
> I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
> and I'd like to know what you would use. *Even better if it's some
> ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
> hardware store.
>
> Thanks,
> Jm

is it a standard 3/8" drive socket? This is the application for which
locking extensions were invented.

nate
Old April 6th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

DemoDisk > wrote:
>> Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

>Hey, Tegger. I always thought people hated cross posting because it's so
>easy. I posted separately to about seven different groups to elicit more
>'their' NG with cross-posting.

Crossposting is good, because it means all the groups see the same thread.

Crossposting to SEVEN groups is a really bad idea. Multiposting to SEVEN
groups is even worse. If you think your question is of interest to seven
different newsgroups, you're probably wrong, no matter what the question is.

Crossposting to two or three groups can be a good thing although some folks
just killfile anything crossposted to three or more.
--scott

Old April 6th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Apr 5, 4:32*pm, "DemoDisk" > wrote:
> I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
> plug port. *There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
> the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
>
> I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
> and I'd like to know what you would use. *Even better if it's some
> ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
> hardware store.
>
> Thanks,
> Jm

I like to use needle nose vice grips. I pull those rubber rings out,
but then you run the risk of cracking the insulator.
Old April 6th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

"DemoDisk" > wrote in
news:rPednaVlKNrj7yfWnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@yournetplus. com:

> I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
> plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it
> pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw
> it.
>
> I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong
> grabbers, and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if
> it's some ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item
> from a hardware store.

Flip over the ratchet to on and give it a slight turn. You'll feel when
it's loose. Then just pull it off.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old April 6th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> DemoDisk > wrote:
> >> Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

> >Hey, Tegger. I always thought people hated cross posting because it's

so
> >easy. I posted separately to about seven different groups to elicit

more
> >'their' NG with cross-posting.

> Crossposting is good, because it means all the groups see the same

thread.

> Crossposting to SEVEN groups is a really bad idea. Multiposting to

SEVEN
> groups is even worse. If you think your question is of interest to

seven
> different newsgroups, you're probably wrong, no matter what the

question is.

> Crossposting to two or three groups can be a good thing although some

folks
> just killfile anything crossposted to three or more.
> --scott

Noted. Thanks, Scott.

Old April 6th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

"lugnut" wrote...

> This may be the answer to your problem
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91705
>
> I owne a set of plug sockets that are part of a extension
> bar with a flex joint between the socket and bar. I wasn't
> able to located a link to them. They can reach 10-12" down
> a hole for the plug.
>
> Lugnut

Mm!! That's one LO-Ong socket. Thanks for the link.

Another respondent offered this:

<http://www.autobarn.net/grnus136.html?site=google_base>

which would solve the problem of connections slipping off.

46RE NSS socket size SBlackfoot Jeep 0 October 11th 08 11:51 PM
Lighter Socket Wiring Mark333777 Honda 2 October 22nd 06 06:22 AM
Lighter Socket Wiring Mark333777 Honda 0 October 21st 06 10:59 PM
Correct Tork socket Lovs2fly Jeep 8 December 13th 05 02:13 AM
How to remove the lighter socket? Dale Brisket Honda 3 October 27th 05 05:23 AM