Emergency coolant problem

Old December 18th 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
DaveH

Default Emergency coolant problem

I've got a 99.5 V6 A4 Quattro. 100k miles, timing chain and water pump
changed at 80k. Oil recently changed by a new shop--good rep, but
unknown competence to me.

I've got to drive 400 miles tommorow and just today discovered that
the coolant level in the tank is quite low, perhaps 1.5 inches below
the minimum mark with engine cold. Normal temp readings, no warnings
during running.

I thought I had been smelling coolant on occasion but put it off
stupidly till finally noticing the low level today. Must be a leak,
but can I get away with topping off with Prestone Extended life or
Havoline Dex-cool or whatever to get through this trip, then have my
shop fully address the prob upon return? Should I dilute 50/50 with
water for that small top off quantity?
Dave

Old December 18th 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

Safe thing is to just add plain water, the VW/Audi antifreezes can gel if
they are mixed with something incompatible.

Coolant loss might be a heater core failure.

Old December 18th 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

Old December 18th 06, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

and take some spare gallons of water with you on your 400 mile trip!
The coolant/water should not freeze if the engine is keeping it hot! ;-)

Old December 18th 06, 12:31 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
DaveH

Understood on using distilled water, but I assume the best ting to use
would be the G12 type coolant Audi specifies in the manual? I may be
able to get some from a local shop.

I wonder how much adding say a quart of distilled water will increase
the coolants freezing point? I doubt I'll encounter temps lower than
20 F on this trip?
Dave

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:54:15 -0800, "No Spam Please"
> wrote:

>Safe thing is to just add plain water, the VW/Audi antifreezes can gel if
>they are mixed with something incompatible.
>
>Coolant loss might be a heater core failure.

.. .

Old December 18th 06, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
DaveH

I do not smell coolant inside the car with heater on or off--only
outside and around the engine compartment. Would you still suspect
heater core failure?

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:54:54 -0800, "No Spam Please"
> wrote:

>Safe thing is to just add plain water, the VW/Audi antifreezes can gel if
>they are mixed with something incompatible.
>
>Coolant loss might be a heater core failure.

.. .

Old December 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:33:41 -0500, DaveH >
wrote:

>I do not smell coolant inside the car with heater on or off--only
>outside and around the engine compartment. Would you still suspect
>heater core failure?

In that case, perhaps not. Maybe a hose, leaking water pump, or
leaking radiator.

Put a pressure tester on the radiator, and pump it up over night. Next
AM check to see if you see seepage.
Old December 18th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

"DaveH" > wrote in message
>I do not smell coolant inside the car with heater on or off--only
> outside and around the engine compartment. Would you still suspect
> heater core failure?

Possibly. When I had my heater core fail, it actually leaked out around the
firewall in the engine compartment and onto the ground.

Old December 18th 06, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
No Spam Please

Well, the best thing is probably to get your leak fixed. But you did say
you were short on time.

You could buy a gallon of G12 and mix up 2 gallons of 50-50 mix with water
and take those with you. G12 runs about $22/gallon around here, always in
stock it seems.

"DaveH" > wrote in message
> Understood on using distilled water, but I assume the best ting to use
> would be the G12 type coolant Audi specifies in the manual? I may be
> able to get some from a local shop.
>
> I wonder how much adding say a quart of distilled water will increase
> the coolants freezing point? I doubt I'll encounter temps lower than
> 20 F on this trip?
> Dave
>

> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:54:15 -0800, "No Spam Please"
> > wrote:
>
>>Safe thing is to just add plain water, the VW/Audi antifreezes can gel if
>>they are mixed with something incompatible.
>>
>>Coolant loss might be a heater core failure.

. ..

Old December 23rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
DaveH

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:35:39 -0500, DaveH >
wrote:

>I've got a 99.5 V6 A4 Quattro. 100k miles, timing chain and water pump
>changed at 80k. Oil recently changed by a new shop--good rep, but
>unknown competence to me.
>
>I've got to drive 400 miles tommorow and just today discovered that
>the coolant level in the tank is quite low, perhaps 1.5 inches below
>the minimum mark with engine cold. Normal temp readings, no warnings
>during running.
>
>I thought I had been smelling coolant on occasion but put it off
>stupidly till finally noticing the low level today. Must be a leak,
>but can I get away with topping off with Prestone Extended life or
>Havoline Dex-cool or whatever to get through this trip, then have my
>shop fully address the prob upon return? Should I dilute 50/50 with
>water for that small top off quantity?
>Dave

Thanks to all who responded! I appreciate it guys. It turns out that
there is a moderate leak (forget where). They patched me together,
loaded me up with G12, and I made the journey without problem.

Thanks again. The input was extremely helpful.
Regards,
Dave