2000 Jeep Sport transfer case lever broken

Old June 23rd 05, 05:28 AM
jim s via CarKB.com

Default 2000 Jeep Sport transfer case lever broken

Symptom: When I try to put my jeep into 4 wheel drive the transfer case
lever just moves forward and back as if it was not connected to anything.
What did I (my son) break. My jeep is located at the river (our second home)
and I need to buy parts to fix the problem. What should I buy and how do I
solve the problem. I would buy all parts for lever and return those that I do
not need. Thanks in advance.
Old June 23rd 05, 06:15 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

More than likely it's just a cotter key fell out, but you'll
probably have to support the transmission, and pull the skid plate out
of the way to have room to stick it back together:
http://www.billhughes.com/TJshiftTransfer.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 23rd 05, 08:18 PM
swbell

The adjustment clamp on the transfer case shift lever might just be loose.
They can loosen up over time. The clamp attaches the shifter to a rod
sticking out of the t-case on the driver's side. Check there first before
you buy any parts. If that is not loose, then check the key.

If you pull too hard on the t-case shifter, you can loosen the clamp. This
can be easy to do when you aren't getting it into 4Lo and keep tugging.

Paul

in article , L.W. Hughes III (ßill) at

Old June 24th 05, 01:27 AM
jim s via CarKB.com

Thanks for your help. I will check it out this weekend and report back.

Old June 24th 05, 01:27 AM
jim s via CarKB.com

Old June 24th 05, 03:28 AM
tim bur

it might jsut have popped out the fastners in the rods

Old June 28th 05, 01:44 AM
jim s via CarKB.com

Tim- You were correct. I dropped down the skid plate that seems to also be
the trans. mount and there was the linkage rod all bent and popped out of its
holder. I put it in a vise to straighten it out and then put it back in the
hole. Works great now. A time saving tip: Before trying to screw in the
larger outside bolts on the skid plate be sure to attach the smaller 4 bolts
that keep the rubber trans mount in place and then you need a floor jack to
raise the skid plate up close enough to get the larger bolts started. Another
tip: Dont let anyone use your jeep that does not know how to properly get it
into 4 wheel drive. I am learning and I thank all that responded to my
problem. Thanks Again!!