17' Wheels

Old April 20th 10, 05:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_48_]

Default 17' Wheels

I am in the process of buying a new BMW 335i xDrive with 17" wheels
and would like to get 4 more to mount my snow tires on but would
rather not buy from BMW considering their prices.
I live in Vancouver B.C. Canada and and am looking for someone in
town. If you can help me thank you in advance.
Old April 21st 10, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

EBay is your friend in times like this.

Do a search for BMW E90 RIMS. You will get OEM and aftermarket hits. You can
narrow the search by specifying OEM and 17 INCH in your parameters. Since
you live in snow country, you might find that your tire store has less
costly steel rims to mount your snow tires on.

Old April 21st 10, 10:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_48_]

Thank you for the advice Jeff I have been told that less costly steel
rims mite require a hub centric kit. But the savings mite be worth it.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:14:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>EBay is your friend in times like this.
>
>Do a search for BMW E90 RIMS. You will get OEM and aftermarket hits. You can
>narrow the search by specifying OEM and 17 INCH in your parameters. Since
>you live in snow country, you might find that your tire store has less
>costly steel rims to mount your snow tires on.

.. .

Old April 22nd 10, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Well, if you can afford a second set of tires, and you need rims for them,
then the sky is the limit.

I found some very nice E36 rims for my '94 325i convertible that came from a
'95 M3 on eBay. I paid $600 for all five rims, put rubber on them, then wore
the rubber off of 4 of them and bought a new set, and the cost for all of
those tires (9) and rims (5) was less than 2 sets (8) of 15 inch tires for
the rims that came stock on the car.

I would think that since your car is new, maybe the rim availability might
be a bit slim for now, but there are always people out there that want to
replace stock rims with 18s or 19s, so you ought to be able to find a good
deal on a set of factory take-offs.

You might end up with a set of rims for your summer tires that are 18s, and
use the 17s that you have now for the snow tires.

PS
I have never seen a car with snow tires on it. Sucks to be me ...

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Thank you for the advice Jeff I have been told that less costly steel
> rims mite require a hub centric kit. But the savings mite be worth it.
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:14:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> > wrote:
>
>>EBay is your friend in times like this.
>>
>>Do a search for BMW E90 RIMS. You will get OEM and aftermarket hits. You
>>can
>>narrow the search by specifying OEM and 17 INCH in your parameters. Since
>>you live in snow country, you might find that your tire store has less
>>costly steel rims to mount your snow tires on.

. ..

Old April 22nd 10, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_48_]

Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
have an opinion.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:16:35 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>Well, if you can afford a second set of tires, and you need rims for them,
>then the sky is the limit.
>
>I found some very nice E36 rims for my '94 325i convertible that came from a
>'95 M3 on eBay. I paid $600 for all five rims, put rubber on them, then wore
>the rubber off of 4 of them and bought a new set, and the cost for all of
>those tires (9) and rims (5) was less than 2 sets (8) of 15 inch tires for
>the rims that came stock on the car.
>
>I would think that since your car is new, maybe the rim availability might
>be a bit slim for now, but there are always people out there that want to
>replace stock rims with 18s or 19s, so you ought to be able to find a good
>deal on a set of factory take-offs.
>
>You might end up with a set of rims for your summer tires that are 18s, and
>use the 17s that you have now for the snow tires.
>
>PS
>I have never seen a car with snow tires on it. Sucks to be me ...

.. .

Old April 22nd 10, 02:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

I have never heard of that, but I don't have a turbo and don't really know.
I've driven a few turbos and never observed that rule. Sorry, I can't
confirm or deny ...

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
> you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
> turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
> prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
> have an opinion.
>
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:16:35 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> > wrote:
>
>>Well, if you can afford a second set of tires, and you need rims for them,
>>then the sky is the limit.
>>
>>I found some very nice E36 rims for my '94 325i convertible that came from
>>'95 M3 on eBay. I paid $600 for all five rims, put rubber on them, then
>>wore
>>the rubber off of 4 of them and bought a new set, and the cost for all of
>>those tires (9) and rims (5) was less than 2 sets (8) of 15 inch tires for
>>the rims that came stock on the car.
>>
>>I would think that since your car is new, maybe the rim availability might
>>be a bit slim for now, but there are always people out there that want to
>>replace stock rims with 18s or 19s, so you ought to be able to find a good
>>deal on a set of factory take-offs.
>>
>>You might end up with a set of rims for your summer tires that are 18s,
>>and
>>use the 17s that you have now for the snow tires.
>>
>>PS
>>I have never seen a car with snow tires on it. Sucks to be me ...
>>

>>"Jim" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Thank you for the advice Jeff I have been told that less costly steel
>>> rims mite require a hub centric kit. But the savings mite be worth it.
>>>
>>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:14:37 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

m...

Old April 22nd 10, 04:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_48_]

Thank you for your opinion fellow BMW driver.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:34:28 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:

>I have never heard of that, but I don't have a turbo and don't really know.
>I've driven a few turbos and never observed that rule. Sorry, I can't
>confirm or deny ...
>

>"Jim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
>> you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
>> turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
>> prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
>> have an opinion.
>>
>> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:16:35 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Well, if you can afford a second set of tires, and you need rims for them,
>>>then the sky is the limit.
>>>
>>>I found some very nice E36 rims for my '94 325i convertible that came from
>>>'95 M3 on eBay. I paid $600 for all five rims, put rubber on them, then
>>>wore
>>>the rubber off of 4 of them and bought a new set, and the cost for all of
>>>those tires (9) and rims (5) was less than 2 sets (8) of 15 inch tires for
>>>the rims that came stock on the car.
>>>
>>>I would think that since your car is new, maybe the rim availability might
>>>be a bit slim for now, but there are always people out there that want to
>>>replace stock rims with 18s or 19s, so you ought to be able to find a good
>>>deal on a set of factory take-offs.
>>>
>>>You might end up with a set of rims for your summer tires that are 18s,
>>>and
>>>use the 17s that you have now for the snow tires.
>>>
>>>PS
>>>I have never seen a car with snow tires on it. Sucks to be me ...

om...

Old April 22nd 10, 04:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:10:58 GMT, Jim > wrote:

>Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
>you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
>turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
>prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
>have an opinion.

I'm pretty sure that the turbos on the E9x series are water cooled, and are
provided with an electric coolant pump to keep the coolant moving for a period
after shut down.

That said, it's prudent to go light on the throttle and avoid boost for the
last few miles to your destination - particularly if you've had an
"enthusiastic" drive ;-)

Cheers

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd - original biturbos still working perfectly
Old May 23rd 10, 09:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Skelton[_2_]

"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:10:58 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>
>>Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
>>you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
>>turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
>>prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
>>have an opinion.

> I'm pretty sure that the turbos on the E9x series are water cooled, and are
> provided with an electric coolant pump to keep the coolant moving for a period
> after shut down.
>
> That said, it's prudent to go light on the throttle and avoid boost for the
> last few miles to your destination - particularly if you've had an
> "enthusiastic" drive ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> /daytripper
> '00 s4 6spd - original biturbos still working perfectly

Hi

I'm afraid that none of our five BMW turbo diesels had a water cooled turbo. Not even our
2009 335d which has two turbos.

We had two Audis that had the electric water pump that ran on after shut down, but BMW
have not put these on their diesels.

It is always a good idea to idle for at least 30 secs after a run to allow some heat to
dissipate from the turbos (through the oil if nothing else) and to let it ( the turbo )
slow down. I have seen some idiots rev the engine on a turbo car and then turn it
off.....

It is also prudent not to rev a turbo car for the first half mile or more to let the oil
warm first. The oil does a better job of protecting the components when it's temperature
is raised to the operating temperature of the engine.

HTH

David Skelton

Old May 23rd 10, 03:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"David Skelton" > wrote in message

> "daytripper" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 01:10:58 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>>
>>>Jeff I told a friend that I am waiting for my new BMW and he said that
>>>you have to let the car sit for 1 minute after you stop be for you
>>>turn of the engine because the turbo will overheat and wear out
>>>prematurely. I am waiting to hear back from BMW in this regard do you
>>>have an opinion.

>> I'm pretty sure that the turbos on the E9x series are water cooled, and
>> are
>> provided with an electric coolant pump to keep the coolant moving for a
>> period
>> after shut down.
>>
>> That said, it's prudent to go light on the throttle and avoid boost for
>> the
>> last few miles to your destination - particularly if you've had an
>> "enthusiastic" drive ;-)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> /daytripper
>> '00 s4 6spd - original biturbos still working perfectly

> Hi
>
> I'm afraid that none of our five BMW turbo diesels had a water cooled
> turbo. Not even our 2009 335d which has two turbos.
>
> We had two Audis that had the electric water pump that ran on after shut
> down, but BMW have not put these on their diesels.
>
> It is always a good idea to idle for at least 30 secs after a run to allow
> some heat to dissipate from the turbos (through the oil if nothing else)
> and to let it ( the turbo ) slow down. I have seen some idiots rev the
> engine on a turbo car and then turn it off.....

So, what if the last minute or so of travel was essentially at speeds just
above idle? For example, you get off of the interstate and drive on surface
streets where the turbo(s) would not be used -- similar conditions as idle,
excep the car is moving at moderate speeds -- and then you pull into the
parking lot. Would the 30-seconds after a run rule be satisfied, and could
you then shut the car down and walk away?

I get that one would want to avoid trips where the turbo was kicking in, and
then pull over and shut the car off without a cool-down period, but it seems
to me that if 30 seconds of idle is all the cool-down that's required then
surface street driving -- or any driving that does not invoke the turbo --
would satisfy the need.

I have never heard of this rule, by the way.

> It is also prudent not to rev a turbo car for the first half mile or more
> to let the oil warm first. The oil does a better job of protecting the
> components when it's temperature is raised to the operating temperature of
> the engine.

I'm almost 100% certain that if one is concerned that the turbo charger
needs to be protected from heat damage by waiting for it to cool down before
shutting the engine off, then the oil is at operating temperature -- or the
turbo is operating at conditions that would harm it anyhow, and waiting for
it to cool off before shutting the engine is the least of the things the
driver would care about.

Do VW steel wheels or alloy wheels weigh more? Fred Fartalot VW water cooled 27 June 8th 18 03:18 PM
Wheels from Wheels & Caps? How good? mhoza Honda 0 July 11th 06 02:53 PM
E39 wheels SilverBack BMW 1 May 12th 05 02:56 AM
Need whel adapters for VW bug wheels to 19" Ford Model A wheels Ted VW air cooled 5 May 6th 05 12:02 PM
2002 325 - replace standard wheels with 17" sport wheels Brandon BMW 3 March 12th 05 08:07 AM