COLD WEATHER FUEL ECONOMY, TRICKS TO INCREASE IT ?

Old December 18th 08, 02:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default COLD WEATHER FUEL ECONOMY, TRICKS TO INCREASE IT ?

We all know that cold weather cuts into fuel economy, but is there
something that can be added/modified to trick the computer into
thinking that the ambient (outside, environmental) temperature is
actually above 70 degerees F ?

I am particularly interested for my 93 EX.

Thanks again.
Old December 18th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

> wrote
> We all know that cold weather cuts into fuel economy, but
> is there
> something that can be added/modified to trick the computer
> into
> thinking that the ambient (outside, environmental)
> temperature is
> actually above 70 degerees F ?
>
> I am particularly interested for my 93 EX.

What are you hoping to get the computer to order?

Getting your engine up to normal operating temperature
quickly via a high idle RPM at start up is going to optimize
fuel efficiency.

You could rig up a block heater of some kind. Or your Honda
may already be set up for an oil dipstick heater or similar.
Ask if you want more info.

To optimize fuel efficiency, try all the tips listed at
http://honda.lioness.googlepages.com/gasmileagetips

Old December 18th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
rick++

Ethano also mandated in winter but not summer.

I average 35 in summer and 32 in winter.
Beside ethanol dilution, I do more road trips in summer (40 mpg).
Old December 18th 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:05:50 -0700, Greg Campbell > wrote:
wrote:

>> We all know that cold weather cuts into fuel economy, but is there
>> something that can be added/modified to trick the computer into
>> thinking that the ambient (outside, environmental) temperature is
>> actually above 70 degerees F ?
>>
>> I am particularly interested for my 93 EX.
>>
>> Thanks again.

>As stated, any big 'tricks' played on the ECU will just cause poor
>running. A block heater, running a few hours each morning, will greatly
>reduce warm-up time. Running synthetic oil will improve cold weather
>starting and lubrication, and fractionally reduce friction while then
>engine warms up.

and as another poster mentioned, make sure the thermostat is working.
A defective thermostat can keep an engine from ever warming up.
Old December 19th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

AZ Nomad > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 15:05:50 -0700, Greg Campbell >

>>> We all know that cold weather cuts into fuel economy, but is there
>>> something that can be added/modified to trick the computer into
>>> thinking that the ambient (outside, environmental) temperature is
>>> actually above 70 degerees F ?
>>>
>>> I am particularly interested for my 93 EX.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

>>As stated, any big 'tricks' played on the ECU will just cause poor
>>running. A block heater, running a few hours each morning, will
>>greatly reduce warm-up time. Running synthetic oil will improve cold
>>weather starting and lubrication, and fractionally reduce friction
>>while then engine warms up.

> and as another poster mentioned, make sure the thermostat is working.

You mean me? I didn't say anything about the /car's/ thermostat. Nor did I
say anything about /any/ thermostat working.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/