98 Sebring 2.5 no start

Old November 28th 08, 07:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 98 Sebring 2.5 no start

1998 Sebring convertible with 2.5 V6 will not start. Cranks fine.
Has good spark on all cyls and 150psi compression all around.
He put new plugs in, and we checked the fuel pump IS running. Fuel is
getting into the cyls as we verified by holding a "butane match" down
the plug well and we got a good "whoosh" of flame.
Possible it's flooding right away - occaisionally you get a "chuff" as
if it is trying to start when the key is released.

No codes on the scanner OR with the on-off-on-off-on to read from the
ODO.
We pulled the front timing belt cover and checked for tension and
damaged teeth - tension was good and no sign of bad teeth on the belt.

By cranking the engine with the compression tester in #1 and the plug
grounded beside it the spark occurs where the compression gauge needle
jumps - so the timing is close. It WAS running - nothing done to it
that would affect timing or anything

What's the likely cause, from any of you Mopar guys who are familiar
with the 2.5 engine?????
Old November 29th 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:18:41 -0500, daytripper
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:29:14 -0500, wrote:
>
>>1998 Sebring convertible with 2.5 V6 will not start. Cranks fine.
>>Has good spark on all cyls and 150psi compression all around.
>>He put new plugs in, and we checked the fuel pump IS running. Fuel is
>>getting into the cyls as we verified by holding a "butane match" down
>>the plug well and we got a good "whoosh" of flame.
>>Possible it's flooding right away - occaisionally you get a "chuff" as
>>if it is trying to start when the key is released.
>>
>>No codes on the scanner OR with the on-off-on-off-on to read from the
>>ODO.
>>We pulled the front timing belt cover and checked for tension and
>>damaged teeth - tension was good and no sign of bad teeth on the belt.
>>
>>By cranking the engine with the compression tester in #1 and the plug
>>grounded beside it the spark occurs where the compression gauge needle
>>jumps - so the timing is close. It WAS running - nothing done to it
>>that would affect timing or anything
>>

>>What's the likely cause, from any of you Mopar guys who are familiar
>>with the 2.5 engine?????

>From all the symptoms it sounds like there might be water in the fuel...

Definitely not an impossibility - I'll check next time I see it.
Old November 29th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

wrote:

>>>1998 Sebring convertible with 2.5 V6 will not start. Cranks fine.
>>>Has good spark on all cyls and 150psi compression all around.
>>>He put new plugs in, and we checked the fuel pump IS running. Fuel is
>>>getting into the cyls as we verified by holding a "butane match" down
>>>the plug well and we got a good "whoosh" of flame.
>>>Possible it's flooding right away - occaisionally you get a "chuff" as
>>>if it is trying to start when the key is released.
>>>
>>>No codes on the scanner OR with the on-off-on-off-on to read from the
>>>ODO.
>>>We pulled the front timing belt cover and checked for tension and
>>>damaged teeth - tension was good and no sign of bad teeth on the belt.
>>>
>>>By cranking the engine with the compression tester in #1 and the plug
>>>grounded beside it the spark occurs where the compression gauge needle
>>>jumps - so the timing is close. It WAS running - nothing done to it
>>>that would affect timing or anything
>>>

>>>What's the likely cause, from any of you Mopar guys who are familiar
>>>with the 2.5 engine?????

>>From all the symptoms it sounds like there might be water in the fuel...

>Definitely not an impossibility - I'll check next time I see it.

Update on the Sebring.
Gary got it started and out of the hangar this morning - DON"T TOUCH
THE GAS PEDAL. Started every time - but touch the gas at all, and
"that's all she wrote" - no start.

Suspect TPS problem??????
Old December 11th 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
James Goforth

Still no codes on the scan tool with it running?

Old December 12th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:41:22 -0800, (James
Goforth) wrote:

> Still no codes on the scan tool with it running?

Nope. None.