Homemade Coil Tester_How Can I Make One?

Old September 27th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Homemade Coil Tester_How Can I Make One?

Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.

The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
He removed the coil from the car.

Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.

It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
coil with an VOM meter?
Thanks in Advance!
Any help is appreciated!
Old September 28th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:54:40 +0200, > wrote:

> Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
> up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.
>
> The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
> He removed the coil from the car.
>
> Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.
>
> It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
> on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
> Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
> coil with an VOM meter?
> Thanks in Advance!
> Any help is appreciated!

Leave the coil/dizzy in the car, make sure points/condenser is good if
fitted.
Unscrew the plug cap, hold the exposed HT lead aprox 1/2" away from the
engine block whilst cranking the engine, should give you a nice fat blue
audible spark.
If not, try a different HT lead, then check with plug-cap on the lead but
with a solid metal object inserted, should also give a nice fat blue
spark, slightly weaker than without the plug-cap.

Failing to do so could then be: Plug cap, HT Lead, Dizzy cap or coil. The
latter is very rare.
You of cause eliminate faulty sparkplug before going there.

J.

Old September 28th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Like P.J.'s testing............but
I can test for spark with a spare distributor (ground distributor). Just
spin the distributor drive after you connect it to the system (condenser
lead to '-' side of ign coil) and power up the coil. Use the hold the lead
close to a ground.

It is easier with electronic ign since I don't need to ground the
distributor. ;-)

news

Old September 28th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Problem with using a VOM is the test voltage from the VOM is usually < 9
volts and the test current is milliamps as opposed to 4 amps or so primary
current.. You may be able to read continuity of the primary, 3-4 ohms
therabouts, and even the secondary but it wont show shorted turns,
inappropriate flash overs becuase of the tiny voltage compared to the
10,000 - 20,000 fvolts from a coil secondary.. I,d go with what the other
blokes suggest. Best tested with a dummy set up.
John

Old September 28th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 27, 6:12*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:54:40 +0200, > wrote:
> > Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
> > up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.

> > The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
> > He removed the coil from the car.

> > Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.

> > It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
> > on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
> > Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
> > coil with an VOM meter?
> > Thanks in Advance!
> > Any help is appreciated!

> Leave the coil/dizzy in the car, make sure points/condenser is good if *
> fitted.
> Unscrew the plug cap, hold the exposed HT lead aprox 1/2" away from the *
> engine block whilst cranking the engine, should give you a nice fat blue *
> audible spark.
> If not, try a different HT lead, then check with plug-cap on the lead but *
> with a solid metal object inserted, should also give a nice fat blue *
> spark, slightly weaker than without the plug-cap.
>
> Failing to do so could then be: Plug cap, HT Lead, Dizzy cap or coil. The *
> latter is very rare.
> You of cause eliminate faulty sparkplug before going there.
>
> J.
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

I would test it your way but I have one of those Tiger CDI boxes that
aircooled.net was selling several years ago.
I am concerned that I would fry a circuit.
Old September 29th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:30:41 +0200, > wrote:

> On Sep 27, 6:12*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:54:40 +0200, > wrote:
>> > Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
>> > up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.

>> > The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
>> > He removed the coil from the car.

>> > Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.

>> > It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
>> > on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
>> > Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
>> > coil with an VOM meter?
>> > Thanks in Advance!
>> > Any help is appreciated!

>> Leave the coil/dizzy in the car, make sure points/condenser is good if *
>> fitted.
>> Unscrew the plug cap, hold the exposed HT lead aprox 1/2" away from the
>> *
>> engine block whilst cranking the engine, should give you a nice fat
>> blue *
>> audible spark.
>> If not, try a different HT lead, then check with plug-cap on the lead
>> but *
>> with a solid metal object inserted, should also give a nice fat blue *
>> spark, slightly weaker than without the plug-cap.
>>
>> Failing to do so could then be: Plug cap, HT Lead, Dizzy cap or coil.
>> The *
>> latter is very rare.
>> You of cause eliminate faulty sparkplug before going there.
>>
>> J.
>>
>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

> I would test it your way but I have one of those Tiger CDI boxes that
> aircooled.net was selling several years ago.
> I am concerned that I would fry a circuit.

I had the exact same box in my -56, as long as the wiring into box, and
to/from dizzy is ok you will not fry he box whilst shorting to ground.

It sparks for a longer distance and will knock you on your behind if not
careful.

J.

Old September 29th 08, 08:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

> wrote in message
| Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
| up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.
|
| The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
| He removed the coil from the car.
|
| Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.
|
| It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
| on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
| Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
| coil with an VOM meter?
| Thanks in Advance!
| Any help is appreciated!

My grand father had a system that worked back to the Model A (and likely
before) He kept a spare coil in his box. Any question he'd swap the known
good to the questionable and if it started/had spark -- problem solved if
not he'd check elsewhere.

Old September 30th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mr.SmartyPants

In article >,
"NotMe" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> | Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
> | up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.
> |
> | The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
> | He removed the coil from the car.
> |
> | Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.
> |
> | It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
> | on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
> | Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
> | coil with an VOM meter?
> | Thanks in Advance!
> | Any help is appreciated!
>

> My grand father had a system that worked back to the Model A (and likely
> before) He kept a spare coil in his box. Any question he'd swap the known
> good to the questionable and if it started/had spark -- problem solved if
> not he'd check elsewhere.

I've heard a lot of "professional" mechanics do that. Replace parts until
they've fixed the problem. at least if you do it at home you get to keep
the Old (good)part. you paid for it.
--
Money; What a concept !
Old October 1st 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

"mr.smartypants" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| "NotMe" > wrote:
|
| > > wrote in message

| > | Hi! In December 1981 I went to the Gulf Outport in New Orleans to pick
| > | up a car that had been shipped from the Philipines.
| > |
| > | The mechanic used a home made coil tester.
| > | He removed the coil from the car.
| > |
| > | Then he attached it to his coil tester to test for a blue spark.
| > |
| > | It had a scissors switch and some wires and a few other things mounted
| > | on a wooden board. I think it was connected to a 12 volt auto battery.
| > | Can someone please tell me how to make one or how to test the ignition
| > | coil with an VOM meter?
| > | Thanks in Advance!
| > | Any help is appreciated!
| >

| > My grand father had a system that worked back to the Model A (and likely
| > before) He kept a spare coil in his box. Any question he'd swap the
known good to the questionable and if it started/had spark -- problem solved
if not he'd check elsewhere.

| I've heard a lot of "professional" mechanics do that. Replace parts until
| they've fixed the problem. at least if you do it at home you get to keep
| the Old (good)part. you paid for it.

You misunderstand the concept. It's called substitution not a matter of
shot gun replacement. Old boy use that one coil for over 50 years. I still
have it and the process still works. I now have both a 12 v and 6 volt
coil. Gets a bit dicey on the new vehicles as they all seem to have
proprietary hardware that is over priced for the proprietary nature.

As for knowing his sh|t he once disassembled an outboard motor while hanging
over the transom, 10 miles off shore and basically rebuilt the motor so it
ran on 3 cyl vs. 4 but it did get us home.

Old October 1st 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Oct 1, 6:00*am, "NotMe" > wrote:
> You misunderstand the concept. *It's called substitution not a matter of
> shot gun replacement. *Old boy use that one coil for over 50 years. *I still
> have it and the process still works. *I now have both a 12 v and 6 volt
> coil. *Gets a bit dicey on the new vehicles as they all seem to have
> proprietary hardware that is over priced for the proprietary nature.
>
> As for knowing his sh|t he once disassembled an outboard motor while hanging
> over the transom, 10 miles off shore and basically rebuilt the motor so it
> ran on 3 cyl vs. 4 but it did get us home.

A man of knowledge and/or skill.
Good man.

Randy