Rear tail light swap on late model Beetle

Old September 18th 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Rear tail light swap on late model Beetle

I have a late model VW Beetle with the elephant style tail lamps. Is
it possible to swap these lamps for the 1971 style lamps? Do I have
to change the rear wheel wells which I don't mind doing? How involved
is the process and is it doable without help?
Old September 18th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:40:45 -0400, Jan Andersson

>> I have a late model VW Beetle with the elephant style tail lamps. Is
>> it possible to swap these lamps for the 1971 style lamps? Do I have
>> to change the rear wheel wells which I don't mind doing? How involved
>> is the process and is it doable without help?

>Need new fenders. Anything 68 and up should do, as long as they aren't
>the elephant foot type.

I think I'd stay with the bigger lamps just because they ought to be more
visible and safer.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old September 22nd 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
MUADIB[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:47:23 -0700 (PDT),
" > wrote:

>I have a late model VW Beetle with the elephant style tail lamps. Is
>it possible to swap these lamps for the 1971 style lamps? Do I have
>to change the rear wheel wells which I don't mind doing? How involved
>is the process and is it doable without help?

68 t0 72 rear fenders. The 73 had the slots for bumper mounts but went
to the newer style tail light. 73 was a "one year" fender, as the tail
lights were not actually the same as the 74 I don't think... seems
like they were a bit smaller in size, but looked almost like the 74
and ups. I'd look for 71 or 72 fenders myself...
Old September 23rd 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 22, 5:32 am, MUADIB > wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:47:23 -0700 (PDT),
>
> " > wrote:
> >I have a late model VW Beetle with the elephant style tail lamps. Is
> >it possible to swap these lamps for the 1971 style lamps? Do I have
> >to change the rear wheel wells which I don't mind doing? How involved
> >is the process and is it doable without help?

> 68 t0 72 rear fenders. The 73 had the slots for bumper mounts but went
> to the newer style tail light. 73 was a "one year" fender, as the tail
> lights were not actually the same as the 74 I don't think... seems
> like they were a bit smaller in size, but looked almost like the 74
> and ups. I'd look for 71 or 72 fenders myself...

Problem is, if he has the big 5mph bumpers found on '74 and later,
he's got to give up bumpers in the name of the earlier taillights.
He's good to go if he has a '73, but its' a no go if he has a '74 or
later car with the "shock absorber" bumpers.