Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

Old September 15th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Busman

Default Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

I don't think that we're going to be given much of a choice down the road.
Years ago, people looked down on Eastern European and Brazilian parts but
those are high quality compared to the stuff coming out of China.
Andy

Old September 16th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

At a local watering hole a "Harley" dude I know went on a rant against
foreign-made things. I made him a bet: "I will give you $100 each for
every piece of American-made clothing you are wearing right now." He
burst into laughter (spitting beer all over the place) and went for it.
He finally quit the bet when he got down to his undies which were made
in Honduras. Nothing whatsoever that he was wearing was made in USA.

Then I began to list the foreign parts on his Harley.

Old September 16th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 14, 11:51*am, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> country of manufacture has less to do with quality of the parts than the
> company contracts the foreign manufacturer.... "China" will manufacture
> anything you want and to whatever you specify. if you want cheap, they can
> do it, if you want quality, they can do it... But since quality costs money,
> lots of companies contracting then importing parts don't spend the coin for
> good quality nor good quality control....- Hide quoted text -

I bought a couple of locking type pliers (vise-grips) that were made
in China.
Just for fencing. Pretty light weight use. Broke the damned things
the
first time I clamped them on a wire. Never again.

And now I understand that the company VISE-GRIP is moving their
manufacturing
to China. I bought couple more pairs of them a few weeks ago as I
knew they
were still made here and good quality. Now if I don't lose them like
the others
I had.

Randy
Old September 17th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

you are cold John J or maybe he was! lol

m...

Old September 17th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message

>I bought a couple of locking type pliers (vise-grips) that were made
>in China.
>Just for fencing. Pretty light weight use. Broke the damned things
>the
>first time I clamped them on a wire. Never again.

>And now I understand that the company VISE-GRIP is moving their
>manufacturing
>to China. I bought couple more pairs of them a few weeks ago as I
>knew they
>were still made here and good quality. Now if I don't lose them like
>the others
>I had.

>Randy

Stanley did the same... they still hold some minor resemblance of quality,
depending on what particular tool you are looking for.

Old September 17th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 16, 4:03 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> you are cold John J or maybe he was! lol
>
> "John J" > wrote in message
>
> m...
>
> > At a local watering hole a "Harley" dude I know went on a rant against
> > foreign-made things. I made him a bet: "I will give you $100 each for
> > every piece of American-made clothing you are wearing right now." He burst
> > into laughter (spitting beer all over the place) and went for it. He
> > finally quit the bet when he got down to his undies which were made in
> > Honduras. Nothing whatsoever that he was wearing was made in USA.

> > Then I began to list the foreign parts on his Harley.

Friends don't let friends use EMPI parts.
Old September 17th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Stupendous Man

>> > Then I began to list the foreign parts on his Harley.

My Honda goldwing has a higher percentage of American made parts than a new
Harley.

I bought a lot of welding equipment. In it was two heavy cast iron corner
clamps, for holding things up to 2 inches thick at a 90 degree angle for
welding. never been used, for good reason. The angles were way out on both
plains, and the milling work that was done was really bad. They could have
made the iron flatter with a hammer. I put them in the mill and squared them
up, my two hours probably was worth more than what they originally paid. I
just don't understand making a tool and then blowing the whole function.

Old September 18th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 16, 1:18*pm, wrote:
> On Sep 14, 11:51*am, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>

> > country of manufacture has less to do with quality of the parts than the
> > company contracts the foreign manufacturer.... "China" will manufacture
> > anything you want and to whatever you specify. if you want cheap, they can
> > do it, if you want quality, they can do it... But since quality costs money,
> > lots of companies contracting then importing parts don't spend the coin for
> > good quality nor good quality control....- Hide quoted text -

> I bought a couple of locking type pliers (vise-grips) that were made
> in China.
> Just for fencing. *Pretty light weight use. * Broke the damned things
> the
> first time I clamped them on a wire. *Never again.
>
> And now I understand that the company VISE-GRIP is moving their
> manufacturing
> to China. * I bought couple more pairs of them a few weeks ago as I
> knew they
> were still made here and good quality. *Now if I don't lose them like
> the others
> I had.
>
> Randy

I don't know which is worse: the Chinese companies that make the crap
or the American companies that pretend they made it and put their
[used-to-be] good names on it. You can usually get better stuff
nowadays from the flea market.

Old September 18th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Busman

I look for used stuff at flea markets and yard sales that is better than new
stuff from China or Jihadistan.
Andy

Old September 21st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LLBrown

This has little to do with cars. I repair and sell brass instruments and
the ones from China are beyond crap. They fall apart waiting to be bought!
They don't bother to solder very important pieces together, they just push
them together and hope for no leaks. China just isn't ready.

LLB