335i Convertible - Airbag switch

Old August 31st 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Richard Giddey

Default 335i Convertible - Airbag switch

Hi There,

I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off
switch is not where manual says.

Thanks Rich
Old August 31st 08, 09:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:56:37 +1000, Richard Giddey > wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
>to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off
>switch is not where manual says.
>
>Thanks Rich

Isn't something like this easier to go to your dealer for advice?

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 1st 08, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:10:46 +1000, Richard Giddey > wrote:

wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:56:37 +1000, Richard Giddey > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
>>> to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off
>>> switch is not where manual says.
>>>
>>> Thanks Rich

>> Isn't something like this easier to go to your dealer for advice?
>>

>It was Sunday I was expecting someone intelligent to reply

And ----------------?

It's folk like you that often get a smack in the mouth when you insult people
like this.

If you care to visit Bognor I'll be happy to oblige - Oh advice... get a good
dentist and engage brain before opening mouth in future.

1 How was anybody to know that it was important that you find this switch at the
time you posted.

2 Did you really expect to get an instant answer - it usually takes about 20
mins for NNTP posts to propagate and then for someone to reply.

3 If you knew you were going to need to use a baby seat etc then isn't this
something you should have investigated prior to the panic time?

4 What does the HB say and if German (LHD version) it's probably in the same
place if not opposite - then again may not be fitted to an old car.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Old September 1st 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:56:37 +1000, Richard Giddey > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
>>> to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off
>>> switch is not where manual says.
>>>
>>> Thanks Rich

>> Isn't something like this easier to go to your dealer for advice?
>>

>It was Sunday I was expecting someone intelligent to reply

He couldn't find anyone to give him the answer ;-)

ahahahahahahaha!
Old September 1st 08, 04:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Richard Giddey" > wrote
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:56:37 +1000, Richard Giddey >
>> wrote:
>>> Hi There,
>>>
>>> I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
>>> to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off
>>> switch is not where manual says.
>>>
>>> Thanks Rich

>> Isn't something like this easier to go to your dealer for advice?
>>

> It was Sunday I was expecting someone intelligent to reply

I have to agree with the others: don't expect instant responses at
*any* newsgroup, BBS, blog or whatever. We're not employees
at your beck and call. Also, consider that it's a holiday weekend
(here in the US) when many don't log on.

FWIW, if you have the premium package (or BMW Assist), just
go out to the car and call them: they should be able to answer your
question.

FloydR

Old September 1st 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 18:10:46 +1000, Richard Giddey >

>>> Isn't something like this easier to go to your dealer for advice?
>>>

>>It was Sunday I was expecting someone intelligent to reply

> And ----------------?
>
> It's folk like you that often get a smack in the mouth when you insult
> people
> like this.
>
> If you care to visit Bognor I'll be happy to oblige - Oh advice... get a
> good
> dentist and engage brain before opening mouth in future.

That was completely uncalled for.

> 1 How was anybody to know that it was important that you find this switch
> at the
> time you posted.

How is anybody to know that you really have no clue where the airbag switch
is?

> 2 Did you really expect to get an instant answer - it usually takes about
> 20
> mins for NNTP posts to propagate and then for someone to reply.

My posts are posted immediately -- within a matter of a few seconds -- when
my news server is working right. It can take a while for somebody to see the
post and reply, or the reply can be within a minute or two. Your assertion
is simply wrong. Of course, how could anybody know that you have no clue?

> 3 If you knew you were going to need to use a baby seat etc then isn't
> this
> something you should have investigated prior to the panic time?

What makes you think he had this question before the need arose?

> 4 What does the HB say and if German (LHD version) it's probably in the
> same
> place if not opposite - then again may not be fitted to an old car.

A 335 Convertible is not an old car. It is the most current model out there.
Well, the new 1 Series is arguably a newer model, but the 335 is the latest
model of 3 Series cars.

Old September 1st 08, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Richard Giddey" > wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I am trying to locate airbag switch for right hand drive 335i conv. Wish
> to turn of the passenger side airbag for child safety, key turn off switch
> is not where manual says.
>
> Thanks Rich

I have no clue where the airbag switch is, but if there is one, it is
operated by the Ignition Key. If you have an unexplained keyhole somewhere
in the dashboard, the ON / OFF labels accompanied by PASSENGER AIRBAG or
words to that effect placed around it should offer a clue.

Having said that, in the States, the expectation is that the child will be
placed in the back seat. You ought not place an infant, or a child, seat in
the front passenger seat of your car. To my knowledge, the switch you are
looking for is only available on 2-seater models -- including trucks that do
not have a back seat. I suppose the back seat of a 335 could be so small as
to not count as an actual seating area and therefore children would be
expected to be placed in the front seat, in which case there would be an
Airbag Switch. I don't know that the 335 in the states has an airbag switch
or not, but my instinct is not. I'd apply that instinct to your market too,
except if my instinct was correct, there would not be a discussion of the
switch in the Owner's Manual.

Old September 1st 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Default 335i Convertible - Airbag switch -- PS

If the description in your Owner's Manual has an asterisk, it means the
feature is an option that may not be on the car.

For example, turn to the pages regarding the seats. The first seat operation
described is the standard seat that is manually operated. As you go through
the section, the seats gain optional features that are described with an
asterisk (*). This would include options such as seat heaters, lumbar
support, folding headrests, and other such features.

If the Passenger Side Airbag is an option, then the description of it in the
manual will have an asterisk. The switch will be located exactly where the
manual states IF the option is actually installed on the car.

Having said that, I know that all cars do not have fog lights on them, but
the discussion in the manual does not have an asterisk, so either my
explaination does not hold up or the writers made a typo.

Old September 2nd 08, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> Having said that, in the States, the expectation is that the child will
> be placed in the back seat. You ought not place an infant, or a child,
> seat in the front passenger seat of your car.

Had an interesting experience - being driven by a new dad with the baby in
the back. He spent much of the time looking round to make sure she was ok.

I dunno if he normally carried her in the front seat. I didn't want to
distract him even more by asking. Luckily it was a very short trip. ;-)

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.