4 lugged rear drum on a 66 Beetle

Old September 24th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JS[_6_]

Default 4 lugged rear drum on a 66 Beetle

I converted my 66 Beetle's front brakes to discs with the 4 bolt pattern
wheels. I'm not crazy about the 4 to 5 bolt adaptors so I want to buy new
wheels, all with the 4 bolt pattern. The question is, can I put a 68 4 bolt
pattern drum on my rear spindles without any problems to accept the 4 bolt
pattern wheels? I'm looking at this rear drum:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....%2D6 15%2DJGR

Thanks,
John

Old September 24th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

JS wrote:
> I converted my 66 Beetle's front brakes to discs with the 4 bolt pattern
> wheels. I'm not crazy about the 4 to 5 bolt adaptors so I want to buy
> new wheels, all with the 4 bolt pattern. The question is, can I put a
> 68 4 bolt pattern drum on my rear spindles without any problems to
> accept the 4 bolt pattern wheels? I'm looking at this rear drum:
>
> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....%2D6 15%2DJGR
>

> Thanks,
> John

Yes you can, I did that on my euro spec 67.
The axle may be too long for the 4 bolt drums, so you will need to use a
spacer ring under the axle nut. Maybe 1" tall or so. Can't remember
exact details.

Jan
Old September 25th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:44:04 +0200, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> JS wrote:
>> I converted my 66 Beetle's front brakes to discs with the 4 bolt
>> pattern wheels. I'm not crazy about the 4 to 5 bolt adaptors so I want
>> to buy new wheels, all with the 4 bolt pattern. The question is, can I
>> put a 68 4 bolt pattern drum on my rear spindles without any problems
>> to accept the 4 bolt pattern wheels? I'm looking at this rear drum:
>>
>> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....%2D6 15%2DJGR
>> Thanks,
>> John

> Yes you can, I did that on my euro spec 67.
> The axle may be too long for the 4 bolt drums, so you will need to use a
> spacer ring under the axle nut. Maybe 1" tall or so. Can't remember
> exact details.
>
> Jan

I have those drawings somewhere with the precise measures, going both ways.
Spacer or turning down of the snout of the drum.

Been out, remind me if I forget.
If Odd could speak we would be grand, as he no longer drinks.

J.

Old September 25th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I think I needed the 4-bolt drum's outer bolting surface reduced by 0.50" -
0.75" maybe for my '66.
It will work, you just need to measure both the 5 and 4 bolt drums.

Also you will have to modify backing plates to allow brake adjustments!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

news

Old September 25th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> I think I needed the 4-bolt drum's outer bolting surface reduced by 0.50" -
> 0.75" maybe for my '66.
> It will work, you just need to measure both the 5 and 4 bolt drums.
>
> Also you will have to modify backing plates to allow brake adjustments!

Umm, if and when the shoes are wider in the 4 lug drum, you need to
replace the backing plates and all hardware to 4 lug type too. Good point.
Old September 25th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JS[_6_]

So, it sounds like the 4 lug drum's snout needs to be reduced not extended
with spacers?

John

Old September 25th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Yes, you will have to reduce the snout by having it turned on a lathe. The
snout surface should be as perpendicular as possible, otherwise the
castle-nut will not tighten properly.
In my '67, I had it reduced 14mm on the outside, and 1.5mm on the inside
surface (where the drum sits on the bearing spacer).

You can use the 5-lug backing plates, but you have to drill holes behind the
star wheels to be able to adjust the brakes.
It would be better if you can find a set of 4-lug backing plates.

Regards,

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

Old September 25th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JS[_6_]

Thanks for that information. It was very helpful.

John

"Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote in message
> Yes, you will have to reduce the snout by having it turned on a lathe. The
> snout surface should be as perpendicular as possible, otherwise the
> castle-nut will not tighten properly.
> In my '67, I had it reduced 14mm on the outside, and 1.5mm on the inside
> surface (where the drum sits on the bearing spacer).
>
> You can use the 5-lug backing plates, but you have to drill holes behind
> the star wheels to be able to adjust the brakes.
> It would be better if you can find a set of 4-lug backing plates.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '67 Bug.
>
> "JS" > wrote in message
>> So, it sounds like the 4 lug drum's snout needs to be reduced not
>> extended with spacers?
>>
>> John
>>
>> "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
>>> I think I needed the 4-bolt drum's outer bolting surface reduced by
>>> 0.50" - 0.75" maybe for my '66.
>>> It will work, you just need to measure both the 5 and 4 bolt drums.
>>>
>>> Also you will have to modify backing plates to allow brake adjustments!
>>> --
>>> later,
>>> (One out of many daves)
>>>

>>> "P.J.Berg" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:44:04 +0200, Jan Andersson

Rear Drum 1968 bay bus. Help! VW air cooled 0 July 4th 06 02:02 AM
Taking rear drum off 92 Cabriolet [email protected] VW water cooled 2 June 24th 06 03:46 PM
96 intrepid rear drum brakes den630 Chrysler 3 June 7th 06 03:39 AM
Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes Mel P. Jeep 2 April 30th 05 02:13 PM
stupid rear brake drum disallow Honda 10 April 26th 05 05:52 AM