2006 A4 Turbo

Old September 23rd 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
DaveW

Default 2006 A4 Turbo

I am considering purchasing a new 2006 A4 with the 2.0 Liter Turbo
engine. I have had a 98 A4 with the 6 cyl. engine and am wondering
about

1) Overall reliability of the Turbo engine
2) Dealer says Premium Gas is REQUIRED is this true?
3) Does anyone know the proportion of A4's sold which are the 2.0 vs.
the 3.2 Liter engine?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Dave
Old September 23rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

"DaveW" wrote
> 1) Overall reliability of the Turbo engine

Should be OK, or at least much better than the older 1.8T version since
they've increased oil sump capacity and strictly require the use of
synthetic oil.

> 2) Dealer says Premium Gas is REQUIRED is this true?

Well, it was also required for your '98 A4 2.8. Did you use it? The
engine management software will pull back timing if you use low grade
gas. This will result in poorer performance and possibly worse gas
mileage, so you need to ask yourself if it really makes sense to not use
premium.

> 3) Does anyone know the proportion of A4's sold which are the 2.0 vs.
> the 3.2 Liter engine?

No idea. Sorry.

Cheers,
Pete

Old September 25th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

DaveW wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a new 2006 A4 with the 2.0 Liter Turbo
> engine. I have had a 98 A4 with the 6 cyl. engine and am wondering
> about
>
> 1) Overall reliability of the Turbo engine
> 2) Dealer says Premium Gas is REQUIRED is this true?
> 3) Does anyone know the proportion of A4's sold which are the 2.0 vs.
> the 3.2 Liter engine?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Dave

1) The 1.8T engine was considered an excellent engine prior to the
sludge issues - which were really caused by Audi relaxing the
maintenance standards and people following them. So the 2.0T
should be good - although I don't know about the direct-injection
technology. Having driven a couple of loaners with that engine,
however, it is VERY nice. Revs easily and is a little smoother than

the 1.8T.

2) Yes, it is true that it is recommended, however I have run mid-grade
in
my 1.8T with no issues. In fact, I am running regular at the moment
as
my wife forgot and filled it up with regular. It's definitely a
little down on
power. I think you'd be fine running mid-grade, alternating with
premium,
something like that.

3) Most of the A4's I see are 1.8 or 2.0T's, I'd imagine it may be a
2-to-1
type of split.

Personally, I would not hesitate to get the 2.0T. Not sure about the HP
rating of your current V6 but I bet it's not a heck of a lot more than
the 2.0T. It can also be chipped up to 225 hp VERY easily. Only caveat
I would have is the trans choice - are you going with the Tiptronic or
6-speed? I'm not a fan of the automatic.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old September 25th 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

"Dano58" wrote
> Personally, I would not hesitate to get the 2.0T. Not sure about the HP
> rating of your current V6 but I bet it's not a heck of a lot more than
> the 2.0T.

The 2.8 in '98 was rated at 190 hp and 206 lb-ft torque. The 2.0T also has
207 lb-ft torque (stock), but it's available in a wider rpm range, yet
Edmunds.com lists "Engine short on low-end torque" as one of the cons. The
2.0T is also about 350 lbs heavier, so I'm not sure which one is quicker.
With a chip, the 2.0T definitely wins.

Pete

Old September 26th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mike Smith

Dano58 wrote:

> Personally, I would not hesitate to get the 2.0T. Not sure about the HP
> rating of your current V6 but I bet it's not a heck of a lot more than
> the 2.0T. It can also be chipped up to 225 hp VERY easily. Only caveat
> I would have is the trans choice - are you going with the Tiptronic or
> 6-speed? I'm not a fan of the automatic.

I wonder why Audi won't put the DSG in there?

--
Mike Smith
Old September 26th 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Peter Bell

In message >
Mike Smith > wrote:

> Dano58 wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I would not hesitate to get the 2.0T. Not sure about the HP
> > rating of your current V6 but I bet it's not a heck of a lot more than
> > the 2.0T. It can also be chipped up to 225 hp VERY easily. Only caveat
> > I would have is the trans choice - are you going with the Tiptronic or
> > 6-speed? I'm not a fan of the automatic.

> I wonder why Audi won't put the DSG in there?

Probably because they don't yet have a viable DSG gearbox for an in-line
engine configuration. At the moment, DSG is only available on
transverse-engined cars - TT and A3.

Old December 23rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Harry Butt

"DaveW" > wrote in message
>I am considering purchasing a new 2006 A4 with the 2.0 Liter Turbo
> engine. I have had a 98 A4 with the 6 cyl. engine and am wondering
> about
>
> 1) Overall reliability of the Turbo engine
> 2) Dealer says Premium Gas is REQUIRED is this true?
> 3) Does anyone know the proportion of A4's sold which are the 2.0 vs.
> the 3.2 Liter engine?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Dave

Sorry for chiming in late, but I really like my '06 A4 2.0T 6-speed. So far
(14K miles), no powertrain problems. You can use any grade gasoline but the
engine prefers premium gas and delivers better mileage vs. mid-grade. 87
octane works, but the car runs like a pig. I drove both versions
extensively (2.0T & 3.2) before buying my car, and I must say that I much
prefer the 2.0T engine for my driving requirements. The 6-speed
transmission is great; cruising from L.A. to the Bay Area in 6th gear at 80
mph delivers about 38 mpg.

HB