"By the grace of God, I'm going to make it somehow."

Old November 19th 04, 12:56 PM
the guvnor

Default "By the grace of God, I'm going to make it somehow."

"America the Beautiful" > wrote in message

> House conditions / Private sector renewal

GOOSE CREEK--Propped against the doorway of the mobile home she once rented
in Goose Creek Mobile Home Park, Barbara Henry stares out at the empty
shells of vandalized trailers and abandoned cars in a neighborhood she once
called home.

Donna, Arnold and Jesse Raab (from left) pause Monday while packing as they
move from Goose Creek Mobile Home Park, their home for 14 years. The park's
closing has left many residents searching for other low-cost housing.

Henry, a fast-food worker who walked 3-1/2 miles to her job because she has
no car, lost that position a week ago after staying home to protect her
13-year-old son from the vandals.

"I was scared to leave my son there alone," Henry said. "They said they
understood, but I was missing days, so they terminated me. I

"They are not going to take this place from me," she said. "By the grace of
God, I'm going to make it somehow."

Henry, who had a year of pre-law training through the military, tried to get
government help with housing but was told nothing was available.

A former nursing assistant who let her certification expire four years ago
when she took another job, Henry can't afford to go to back to school. She's
praying her interviews this week at another fast-food restaurant, just a few
blocks away at the busy U.S. Highway 52-Red Bank Road intersection, or at a
nearby grocery store on St. James Boulevard pay off.

"Every time I try to do one thing, like thinking about going back to school,
money problems come up and I just get depressed," she said.

"It makes me want to cry, " Henry said, watching a late-leaving family down
the street pack up the last of their belongings. "All my friends are gone.
It was like a family in here. It wasn't the best trailer park, but it was
our home. Now look at it."

The 52-lot park looks like a gutted ghost town. Curtains flap through a
broken window, disheveled chairs lie discarded on what was once a concrete
patio and at least a dozen stray cats roam through knee-high grass and
barren spots where mobile homes once sat.

Henry isn't alone in her plight. Bernard Lynskey, 46, was renting too. The
disabled former mobile home repairman now lives in a mobile home park in
Ferndale in North Charleston.

He's paying less for rent, but he said his neighborhood is filled with
prostitutes and drug users.

"I looked all over. I wanted to stay in Berkeley County, but I had to move
where I could afford to," Lynskey said from the stoop of his mobile home on
Dalton Street as a siren wailed a block away and neighbors peered along the
street to see what was going on.

"The place I lived before was better than this," he said. "Everybody was
like a family in there. Everybody helped everybody."

Now they are scattered -- Summerville, Goose Creek, North Charleston. For
some, it came down to moving wherever they could find a place that would
take their old trailers. For others, it was finding a place they could
afford.

Still, not everybody has left the park. Arnold and Donna Raab are entangled
in legal troubles with their promised new home site.
They found a half-acre in Bonneau Beach in Berkeley County and were supposed
to close on the sale in mid-September. Just before closing, the owners
informed them the property was mired in bankruptcy.

"They told us we could go ahead and move our trailer on the property, but
they wouldn't know if we could buy it until the bankruptcy was settled,"
Donna Raab said. "We didn't want to do that."

They also paid $1,200 for a pop-up camper to live in until things got
better, but they learned the camper didn't have a clear title, so they are
struggling to straighten that out.

"I thought I could read people pretty well," she said. "I was wrong."

She and her husband could learn this week if they can buy the property in
Berkeley County after a bankruptcy hearing. "I hope it's settled," Donna
Raab said. "If not, we hope we can live in the camper."

Park owner Leslie Dyches let the Raabs stay there past the deadline to get
their legal problems squared away. He also offered them 60 days of free
storage for their mobile home at property he owns in Sangaree.

Nevertheless, their time in the park is running short. "On Nov. 1, I'm
shutting off the lights and water to the park," Dyches said. "I've allowed
them to stay there as long as I could."

Dyches decided to close the 40-year-old park in July because its plumbing is
worn out and he can't afford to repair it. Illegally dumped home appliances,
frequent calls to police and rundown homes were other reasons Dyches cited
for closing the trailer park.

The two dozen old mobile homes left behind at Dyches' place -- many date
back to the early 1970s -- will be taken to junkyards and crushed after he
obtains titles to all the properties. Dyches bought a lot of titles for $100
each when people moved out. Everything else, from vacuum cleaners to home
appliances and mattresses hurriedly left behind, will go to the landfill.

http://www.charleston.net/stories/10...1trailer.shtml

Old November 19th 04, 10:32 PM
Diode

the guvnor spoke thusly:

<snip BS>

OK, now you have mastered "Copy" and "Paste"...what are you going to
thrill us with next?

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville

Old November 20th 04, 01:52 AM
Patrick

"Diode" > wrote in message
. net...
> the guvnor spoke thusly:
>
> <snip BS>
>>

> OK, now you have mastered "Copy" and "Paste"...what are you going to
> thrill us with next?
>
> --
>
> Shut up, Dave.
>
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville

Why do these idiots do that? Subconsciously they are trying to make us
believe these articles they cut and paste are their own original thoughts???
Do they not know how to provide a link??? If you don't have anything to say
yourself, say it with someone else's words?? It seems to be pattern with
individuals of "certain ideological persuasions". Wouldn't you agree??

Old November 20th 04, 01:52 AM
Patrick

. net...

Old November 20th 04, 03:04 AM
America the Beautiful

Diode wrote:

> the guvnor spoke thusly:
>
> <snip BS>
>

> OK, now you have mastered "Copy" and "Paste"...what are you going to
> thrill us with next?

Please don't ask, you might not like what he shows you!

--
Chris F.
Long Island.

"America has spoken. The rest of the world should listen," - Tony Blair.
Old November 20th 04, 03:04 AM
America the Beautiful

Old November 20th 04, 08:00 PM
RicSeyler

LOLOLOL
I'd have to agree with that........ ;-)

Old November 20th 04, 08:00 PM
RicSeyler

LOLOLOL
I'd have to agree with that........ ;-)

How to make torque? tech27 BMW 8 November 14th 04 01:24 PM
Don't Sell Your Car!! Make More by DONATING!! wm BMW 1 October 17th 04 05:08 PM