Saw an interesting Thing Today

Old May 26th 11, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Orval Fairbairn

Default Saw an interesting Thing Today

We were coming home on I-4 today and saw a black pickup truck with gov't
plates and flashing blue lights. They ahd a car pulled over to the side
of the road. We thought that some enterprising bandit had outfitted his
pickup and was robbing motorists, so my wife called 911.

911 relayed her to the Florida Highway patrol, who said that they had no
such vehicles on the road. Got a call back in a few minutes that one of
theirs (I'm not sure whose) had a 90 mph speeder pulled over at the same
location and that it was a legitimate stop.

Bottom line: Somebody in Law Enforcement is out there in unmarked
vehicles -- even pickup trucks!
Old May 26th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:20:38 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

> We were coming home on I-4 today and saw a black pickup truck with gov't
> plates and flashing blue lights. They ahd a car pulled over to the side
> of the road. We thought that some enterprising bandit had outfitted his
> pickup and was robbing motorists, so my wife called 911.
>
> 911 relayed her to the Florida Highway patrol, who said that they had no
> such vehicles on the road. Got a call back in a few minutes that one of
> theirs (I'm not sure whose) had a 90 mph speeder pulled over at the same
> location and that it was a legitimate stop.
>
> Bottom line: Somebody in Law Enforcement is out there in unmarked
> vehicles -- even pickup trucks!

Tennessee uses fairly good size SUV's.

Personally, I'd never pull over for an unmarked car regardless of his
actions.
It is only too easy for some idiot to buy the lights and even the uniforms.
I figure, if he's a real cop, he'll radio for a marked vehicle.

Maryland runs an ad that says, if you don't believe who they are, you have
the right to continue on to a safe place. Which is exactly what I'd do. If
he wants to be an asshole about it, I'll see to it he parks his car in the
ditch upside down.
Old May 27th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Scholnick[_2_]

On May 26, 1:40*pm, richard > wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:20:38 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
> > We were coming home on I-4 today and saw a black pickup truck with gov't
> > plates and flashing blue lights. They ahd a car pulled over to the side
> > of the road. We thought that some enterprising bandit had outfitted his
> > pickup and was robbing motorists, so my wife called 911.

> > 911 relayed her to the Florida Highway patrol, who said that they had no
> > such vehicles on the road. Got a call back in a few minutes that one of
> > theirs (I'm not sure whose) had a 90 mph speeder pulled over at the same
> > location and that it was a legitimate stop.

> > Bottom line: Somebody in Law Enforcement is out there in unmarked
> > vehicles -- even pickup trucks!

> Tennessee uses fairly good size SUV's.
>
> Personally, I'd never pull over for an unmarked car regardless of his
> actions.
> It is only too easy for some idiot to buy the lights and even the uniforms.
> I figure, if he's a real cop, he'll radio for a marked vehicle.
>
> Maryland runs an ad that says, if you don't believe who they are, you have
> the right to continue on to a safe place. Which is exactly what I'd do. If
> he wants to be an asshole about it, I'll see to it he parks his car in the
> ditch upside down.

The last time I found myself being followed, I pulled into the parking
lot of my local police station. The entrance was posted DO NOT ENTER
- POLICE VEHICLES ONLY.

The officer who was manning the entrance told me I couldn't go in. I
told him that I was being followed. He let me in and then detained
the car that had been following me. I turned around and left; I never
saw that vehicle again. He may have been cited or arrested, or else
he was simply detained long enough for me to leave the area..
Old May 27th 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:25:58 -0700 (PDT), Larry Scholnick wrote:

> On May 26, 1:40*pm, richard > wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:20:38 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
>>> We were coming home on I-4 today and saw a black pickup truck with gov't
>>> plates and flashing blue lights. They ahd a car pulled over to the side
>>> of the road. We thought that some enterprising bandit had outfitted his
>>> pickup and was robbing motorists, so my wife called 911.

>>> 911 relayed her to the Florida Highway patrol, who said that they had no
>>> such vehicles on the road. Got a call back in a few minutes that one of
>>> theirs (I'm not sure whose) had a 90 mph speeder pulled over at the same
>>> location and that it was a legitimate stop.

>>> Bottom line: Somebody in Law Enforcement is out there in unmarked
>>> vehicles -- even pickup trucks!

>> Tennessee uses fairly good size SUV's.
>>
>> Personally, I'd never pull over for an unmarked car regardless of his
>> actions.
>> It is only too easy for some idiot to buy the lights and even the uniforms.
>> I figure, if he's a real cop, he'll radio for a marked vehicle.
>>
>> Maryland runs an ad that says, if you don't believe who they are, you have
>> the right to continue on to a safe place. Which is exactly what I'd do. If
>> he wants to be an asshole about it, I'll see to it he parks his car in the
>> ditch upside down.

> The last time I found myself being followed, I pulled into the parking
> lot of my local police station. The entrance was posted DO NOT ENTER
> - POLICE VEHICLES ONLY.
>
> The officer who was manning the entrance told me I couldn't go in. I
> told him that I was being followed. He let me in and then detained
> the car that had been following me. I turned around and left; I never
> saw that vehicle again. He may have been cited or arrested, or else
> he was simply detained long enough for me to leave the area..

Now that, is being bold, brash, and stupid.
Of course, the other driver suddenly flips out his huge federal agent ID
and the cop at the gate says, "tough ****. Park in front like everyone
else".

When I got home from my extremely short military service, I kind of noticed
a certain car was following me. On the third day, I decided to take him on
a tour of the area. He made every turn I did until I turned down a dead end
street. Never saw the guy again. I figured it was the people from "ASA"
keeping tabs on me.

That's the now defunct "Army security agency", which is what I had enlisted
for.