Speed Cameras + Red Light Cameras = Safer Roads

Old May 4th 11, 12:48 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
gpsman

Default Speed Cameras + Red Light Cameras = Safer Roads

On May 3, 12:56*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *gpsman > wrote:
>
> > Straw man. *It's because they violated the law. *Had they not, they
> > would not be there, then.

> Then another car could as easily been there.

That remains appeal to probability fallacy, Nostradamus, and no change
is expected in the foreseeable future.

> > > And that is a ridiculous argument.

> > So sayeth the speeder. *There can be no rational arguments for
> > complying with speed limits, can there...?

> This one is not a rational argument.

Usenet rule:

You make a claim: you provide the support.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

> > > A speeder doesn't lose the basic
> > > right of way because he happens to be over the posted limited.

> > Straw man. *Speeding is abuse of the ROW. *Greater speed occupies
> > greater headway. *That greater headway often delays other motorists
> > from entering the roadway.

> > There is no rational argument to refute that.

> People have no problems entering the road due to speeding.

Usenet rule:

You make a claim: you provide the support.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...n&dmode=source
-----

- gpsman
Old May 4th 11, 01:55 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On May 4, 7:48*am, gpsman > wrote:
> On May 3, 12:56*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,

> > *gpsman > wrote:

> > > Straw man. *It's because they violated the law. *Had they not, they
> > > would not be there, then.

> > Then another car could as easily been there.

> That remains appeal to probability fallacy, Nostradamus, and no change
> is expected in the foreseeable future.

> > > So sayeth the speeder. *There can be no rational arguments for
> > > complying with speed limits, can there...?

> > This one is not a rational argument.

> Usenet rule:
>
> You make a claim: you provide the support.
>
> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbiahttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.driving/msg/f1a57c971f489570...

> > > Straw man. *Speeding is abuse of the ROW. *Greater speed occupies
> > > greater headway. *That greater headway often delays other motorists
> > > from entering the roadway.

> > > There is no rational argument to refute that.

> > People have no problems entering the road due to speeding.

> Usenet rule:
>
> You make a claim: you provide the support.

In America and Canada we don't have a clue how to drive. Go to Germany
for inspiration:

Traffic Laws

Don't let the high speeds on German roads fool you into believing that
there are no reduced speed zones. There are, in fact, many sections of
the German Autobahns that have speed limits. The speed limits are
prominently posted in heavily traveled sections of Autobahns around
cities. You'll also see speed limit signs on other seemingly open
parts of the Autobahns in the countryside. So, keep an eye open for
them. Usually, speeders will not be stopped at the time of the offense
but will get a speeding ticket through the mail. This may be as long
as two or three months after the incident. The German police use
special cameras to catch speeders. Persons exceeding the limits by
more than 30 kilometers an hour can count on losing licenses for a
period of up to three months, plus a stiff fine.

http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/driving.html

***

To begin with we drive dumb oversized vehicles and don't give a damn
about lane discipline. I'm OK with high speeds on freeways --special
cars and drivers license required-- but not in urban areas. Get it?
Old May 18th 11, 04:31 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

On May 12, 11:14 am, moronsbegone > wrote:
> Just Communist crap, thank goodness I live in Tennessee,
> especially the middle area, by the drones voters have voted
> the redlightcameras OUT of existance, their pesky, inacurate
> and convict the wrong ones almost everytime.

Well, we disagree he

Regarding the accident on Krome Ave, where a British lady lost her
life...

(posted comment)

Are we drawing lessons for the future? None of course! Every analysis
concentrates on the merits of the victim or the recklessness of some
predatory driver. In another recent accident a guy doing 80mph on city
streets hit a pedestrian who was partially dismembered. No thought
whatsoever into placing SPEED CAMERAS, commonplace in the UK.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/05/08...#comment-43286

When we are able to issue a BAZOOKA to pedestrians and cyclists we may
not need speed cameras.

Old May 19th 11, 06:16 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
Miles Bader

"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
> writes:
> When we are able to issue a BAZOOKA to pedestrians and cyclists we may
> not need speed cameras.

Now that's a position I could support.

-miles

--
Twice, adv. Once too often.
Old May 19th 11, 01:44 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation

On May 19, 1:16*am, Miles Bader > wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
>
> > writes:
> > When we are able to issue a BAZOOKA to pedestrians and cyclists we may
> > not need speed cameras.

> Now that's a position I could support.

Either that or...

(another accident, another comment of mine)

'Put the label “TERRORIST” on hit and runs and unleash the drone.'

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/05/18...#comment-43794