is250 vs. 325i

Old August 14th 06, 05:13 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Robert A. Cibiras

Default is250 vs. 325i

I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have
narrowed the most likely possible replacements to
the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
transmission.

I am interested in whatever input anyone might
have. I have owned a number of Toyotas over the
years, but no Lexus and no BMW.

I have heard that Lexus takes Toyota's quality and
attention to detail to the next level, and that in
the long run BMW is very expensive to maintain. I
have friends who own both - and swear they
wouldn't drive anything else.

Suggestions, pros, cons, all info would be
appreciated.

Many thanks.

Robert

Old August 14th 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Robert A. Cibiras" > wrote
>I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have narrowed the most likely
>possible replacements to the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
>transmission.
>
> I am interested in whatever input anyone might have. I have owned a number
> of Toyotas over the years, but no Lexus and no BMW.
>
> I have heard that Lexus takes Toyota's quality and attention to detail to
> the next level, and that in the long run BMW is very expensive to
> maintain. I have friends who own both - and swear they wouldn't drive
> anything else.

I don't know why people say that BMWs are expensive to maintain.
The Camry that I bought my mom has cost about the same as my 330xi.
Some parts for my T100 cost *MORE* than the same part for my 330xi -
for instance the starter solenoid went out and the entire starter had to be
replaced; the O2 sensor is TWICE as expensive as those on BMWs.
My wife's Highlander has more often maintenance intervals; in aggregate
they cost what it does for my 330xi. And the maintenance on the BMW
is free for 4yrs/50K.

YMMV.

FloydR

Old August 14th 06, 10:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.lexus
Mark Klebanoff

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 04:13:09 UTC, "Robert A. Cibiras"
> wrote:

> I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have
> narrowed the most likely possible replacements to
> the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
> transmission.
>
> I am interested in whatever input anyone might
> have. I have owned a number of Toyotas over the
> years, but no Lexus and no BMW.

I have an 02 manual transmission IS300. From what I understand about
the IS250-350, they are fast cars, but not particularly sporty (seems
to be a Lexus characteristic, unfortunately). the BMW is probably
going to be a bit more of a "driver's car" but from everything I've
read, the Lexus will be the more reliable of the two by far.
Old August 14th 06, 11:51 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
joe_tide

"Robert A. Cibiras" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have narrowed the most likely
>possible replacements to the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
>transmission.
>
> I am interested in whatever input anyone might have. I have owned a number
> of Toyotas over the years, but no Lexus and no BMW.
>
> I have heard that Lexus takes Toyota's quality and attention to detail to
> the next level, and that in the long run BMW is very expensive to
> maintain. I have friends who own both - and swear they wouldn't drive
> anything else.
>
> Suggestions, pros, cons, all info would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Robert

If you're looking at those two particular cars you are, evidently, intersted
in the driving dynamics. If that's the case, I'd choose the BMW.

If all you are interested in is reliability, pick the Lexus (or any other
driving appliance).

Old August 14th 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Robert A. Cibiras" > wrote
>
>>I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have narrowed the most likely
>>possible replacements to the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
>>transmission.
>>
>>I am interested in whatever input anyone might have. I have owned a number
>>of Toyotas over the years, but no Lexus and no BMW.
>>
>>I have heard that Lexus takes Toyota's quality and attention to detail to
>>the next level, and that in the long run BMW is very expensive to
>>maintain. I have friends who own both - and swear they wouldn't drive
>>anything else.

> I don't know why people say that BMWs are expensive to maintain.
> The Camry that I bought my mom has cost about the same as my 330xi.
> Some parts for my T100 cost *MORE* than the same part for my 330xi -
> for instance the starter solenoid went out and the entire starter had to be
> replaced; the O2 sensor is TWICE as expensive as those on BMWs.
> My wife's Highlander has more often maintenance intervals; in aggregate
> they cost what it does for my 330xi. And the maintenance on the BMW
> is free for 4yrs/50K.

....in the US.

--
-Fred W
Old August 14th 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

joe_tide wrote:
> "Robert A. Cibiras" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>I am interested in trading my Acura TL, and have narrowed the most likely
>>possible replacements to the Lexus is250 and the BMW 325i, both with manual
>>transmission.
>>
>>I am interested in whatever input anyone might have. I have owned a number
>>of Toyotas over the years, but no Lexus and no BMW.
>>
>>I have heard that Lexus takes Toyota's quality and attention to detail to
>>the next level, and that in the long run BMW is very expensive to
>>maintain. I have friends who own both - and swear they wouldn't drive
>>anything else.
>>
>>Suggestions, pros, cons, all info would be appreciated.
>>
>>Many thanks.
>>
>>Robert
>>

> If you're looking at those two particular cars you are, evidently, intersted
> in the driving dynamics. If that's the case, I'd choose the BMW.
>
> If all you are interested in is reliability, pick the Lexus (or any other
> driving appliance).

I would not go quite that far... I think that a prior poster got it
right. The BMW is a better driver's car. The Lexus will be a softer
ride (mushy) and marginally more reliable. If talking new cars, the
maintenance on the BMW will be covered under warranty. But even for
cars out-of-warranty I would not expect to save much with the reliable
Lexus.

--
-Fred W
Old August 14th 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article >,
Floyd Rogers > wrote:
>I don't know why people say that BMWs are expensive to maintain.

This is the way my father in law explained it to me 30 years ago: "the
Germans are quite up front about maintenance costs. The Japanese want you
to believe their cars are cheaspre cheap to maintain but in reality they cost
about the same".

Volvo parts seem the be THE most expensive.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 14th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Richard Sexton

In article >,
Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
>In article >,
> Fred W > wrote:
>
>> The BMW is a better driver's car. The Lexus will be a softer
>> ride (mushy) and marginally more reliable.

>The Lexus will be infinitely more reliable.

Yeah. Plus chicks really dig toyotas.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old August 14th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> Fred W > wrote:
>

>>The BMW is a better driver's car. The Lexus will be a softer
>>ride (mushy) and marginally more reliable.

> The Lexus will be infinitely more reliable.

define infinitely...

--
-Fred W
Old August 14th 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

Richard Sexton wrote:

> Yeah. Plus chicks really dig toyotas.

Good point.

--
-Fred W

325i vs 325xi SLD1969 BMW 14 October 17th 05 09:59 AM
Car & Driver tests new 325i - they like it GRL BMW 0 October 8th 05 08:34 PM
'95 325i is a little slow vs. '02 330 Tom Allen BMW 9 May 1st 05 12:42 PM
BMW 325i reliability and maintenance Dan BMW 3 April 16th 05 04:34 PM
93 325i Erik BMW 7 January 2nd 05 04:13 PM