Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Old December 21st 05, 03:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

It is subjective. It means different things to different people.

I was in your situation before. I drove all the contenders, but when I
finally drove the BMW I stopped test driving and bought it.

As a matter of fact I went from a Lexus dealer to a BMW dealer the same
afternoon. No comparison, to me, between the Lexus and the BMW.

Old December 21st 05, 08:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BMW engines rev freely and sound wonderfull right to the red line..
7000rpm on petrol engines and 4800 rpm for the Euro diesels (thats high
for a diesel). I drive a diesel and even this manages to sound good
(nothing like as good as a 6 cylinder though!), loves to be worked hard
and pulls like a 330i despite being a lowly(?) 163hp 320d. It's a
class leader.
I have owned my first BMW for 6-7 weeks now after Nissans and
Mitsubishi's over the last 10+ years. Well-engineered to me means the
quality feel of every component, the materials used and the tactile
sweet feel of every "click" of lever and switch. The gear shift is
smooth and precise, I have caught myself changing gear just to marvel
at the feel of it (OK I know, I know, I'm sad!) When you close the door
or trunk there is a wonderfull "chunk" sound, not a tinny clang. After
a couple of weeks of ownership it hit me that everyone who designed
this car put a hell of a lot of thought into every detail in making it
as refined as can be.
It feels "luxurious" and sporty without the need for a heap of silly
electronic gadgets which you won't care about when your are flying
round a corner at 10, 20 or 30mph faster than every other car you've
driven with your wife complaining that you are in a hurry and why are
you going so slow (yes, really! it's happen to me.)
Look around BMW news groups and chat boards long enough and you will
find people who after owning all sorts of other cars are now on their
3rd, 4th 5th, 6th BMW in a row.

Sorry to "wax lyrical"

Old December 21st 05, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> In the UK at least, BMW supply some models with less than base model
> specs - the "ES" (extra spartan?) I believe they take a base model
> and take things off of it. These are certainly not luxury cars. These
> days many manufacturers are providing equipment the same or better than
> BMW provides.

I don't think 'luxury' necessarily means equipment levels otherwise the
very worst Asian maker could be considered a luxury car maker when
compared to a base BMW.
To me it's to do with the tactile feel of driving the vehicle. And this
doesn't change with a BMW regardless of the level of trim and toys.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 21st 05, 10:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> I don't think 'luxury' necessarily means equipment levels otherwise the
> very worst Asian maker could be considered a luxury car maker when
> compared to a base BMW.
> To me it's to do with the tactile feel of driving the vehicle. And this
> doesn't change with a BMW regardless of the level of trim and toys.

Luxury:
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
3. Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.

Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as
standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of
large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or
lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

Old December 21st 05, 10:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> > I don't think 'luxury' necessarily means equipment levels otherwise the
> > very worst Asian maker could be considered a luxury car maker when
> > compared to a base BMW.
> > To me it's to do with the tactile feel of driving the vehicle. And this
> > doesn't change with a BMW regardless of the level of trim and toys.
> >

> Luxury:
> 1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
> 2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
> 3. Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.

I'd go for 'enjoyable but not essential thing' - Collins English
Dictionary.

> Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as
> standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of
> large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or
> lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

It's one of these phrases taken over by the ad man?

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Old December 21st 05, 12:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as
> standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of
> large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or
> lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

Utterly laughable to suggest asian cars can even begin to hold a candle
to the likes of a BMW, or a Honda or Toyota, for refinement, ride
comfort, handling, quality feel of any part of the vehicle you care to
mention, seat comfort, handling, durability ...... yada... yada...
yada.
Asian cars OK if you want a cheap reliable run-about, which lots of
people do.

Old December 21st 05, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

AGH! wrote:
>>Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as
>>standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of
>>large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or
>>lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

> Utterly laughable to suggest asian cars can even begin to hold a candle
> to the likes of a BMW, or a Honda or Toyota, for refinement, ride
> comfort, handling, quality feel of any part of the vehicle you care to
> mention, seat comfort, handling, durability ...... yada... yada...
> yada.
> Asian cars OK if you want a cheap reliable run-about, which lots of
> people do.

I want some of whatever you're smoking...

Hondas and Toyotas *ARE* Asian cars.

--
-Fred W
Old December 21st 05, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Malt_Hound <Malt_Hound\@*spam-me not*yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Asian cars OK if you want a cheap reliable run-about, which lots of
> > people do.
> >

> I want some of whatever you're smoking...

> Hondas and Toyotas *ARE* Asian cars.

They are, but more normally referred to as Japanese. By Asian I meant
things like Kia and Hyundia. Even Daewoo. Oops. Chevrolet?

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Old December 21st 05, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:59:06 -0500, Malt_Hound
<""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com"> waffled on about something:

>AGH! wrote:
>>>Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as
>>>standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of
>>>large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or
>>>lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

>> Utterly laughable to suggest asian cars can even begin to hold a candle
>> to the likes of a BMW, or a Honda or Toyota, for refinement, ride
>> comfort, handling, quality feel of any part of the vehicle you care to
>> mention, seat comfort, handling, durability ...... yada... yada...
>> yada.
>> Asian cars OK if you want a cheap reliable run-about, which lots of
>> people do.
>>

>I want some of whatever you're smoking...
>
>Hondas and Toyotas *ARE* Asian cars.

Damn, you beat me too it!

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old December 22nd 05, 01:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BRH wrote:

>One question -- I frequently hear about "performance", "well-engineered"
>etc, when it comes to BMW. Would anyone care to elaborate on exactly
>what that means to them?

Important to me, is the fact that they just do it right.

They don't make FWD cars. FWD is cheap and fills a market niche, but
BMW does not sink so low.

They don't make V6 engines. Most companies make the inferior V6
because it's cheaper - they can share tooling with a V8 and/or turn
it sideways and share it with a FWD car.

BMW makes the proper design decisions that result in the
best-performing car.