Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Old December 19th 05, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life,
I'm finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a
new "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal
(ie - bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.

I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.

I have a few general questions about BMW's:

1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates,
etc? Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?

2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas? If so, what are the
practical consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage
or just less-than-optimal performance? (By less-than optimal, I mean
just normal tooling ariound town - no redlining).

3. I don't have a garage, but parking is off-street, so how well do BMW
bodies hold up? (I live in Central Virginia).

Can't think of anything else to ask right now. Any help with these
questions would be appreciated.
Old December 19th 05, 07:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life, I'm
> finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a new
> "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal (ie -
> bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.
>
> I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
> Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.
>
> I have a few general questions about BMW's:
>
> 1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates, etc?
> Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?

For a 3 series, you should be able negotiate at least $500~$1,500 off MSRP.

> 2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas? If so, what are the practical
> consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage or just
> less-than-optimal performance? (By less-than optimal, I mean just normal
> tooling ariound town - no redlining).

Yes, Bmw's require premium although lower octane may be used - but with
lower performance and economy due to the retarded timimg. So it's probably
penny-wise & pound foolish to use less than 91 octane. My 328i and Z4 3.0
both get 22 in town and 30 on the road with 92-93 octane, and I suspect that
most of the cars you are considering also require premium.

> 3. I don't have a garage, but parking is off-street, so how well do BMW
> bodies hold up? (I live in Central Virginia).

I'm in the DC suburbs and my non-garaged 1999 328i still looks great (Zymol
wax at least three times per year).

Tom K.

Old December 19th 05, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BRH wrote:
> After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life,
> I'm finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a
> new "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal
> (ie - bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.
>
> I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
> Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.

I'd go with the Lexus. I'll never buy another BMW, but that's
just me. Do what you like.

> I have a few general questions about BMW's:
>
> 1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates,
> etc? Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?

No, most dealers will give the poor mouth, claiming they can't
afford to lower their prices.

> 2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas? If so, what are the
> practical consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage
> or just less-than-optimal performance? (By less-than optimal, I mean
> just normal tooling ariound town - no redlining).

My owner's manual recommends the mid-range octane as a minimum.
Another source recommends the highest octane, so flip a coin.
I can tell you that while running mid-range, I still get pings, say,
when going up fairly steep hills.

> 3. I don't have a garage, but parking is off-street, so how well do BMW
> bodies hold up? (I live in Central Virginia).

A bad seam under the edge of my hood started a bad (really bad) rust
problem
which spread to the top of the hood, lifting paint as it spread. This
car
has always resided in snowless (very very little anyway), sea-less
central Georgia.
And it has always been very well maintained (with regular washes and
at least two waxes per year). Had to have hood refinished at my own
expense.

> Can't think of anything else to ask right now. Any help with these
> questions would be appreciated.

I'd X out BMW as an option.

--
Cliff

Old December 19th 05, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life, I'm
> finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a new
> "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal (ie -
> bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.
>
> I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
> Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.
>
> I have a few general questions about BMW's:
>
> 1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates, etc?
> Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?

Generally, no. BMW doesn't have a holdback, so there's no hidden profit for
the dealer. They occasionally offer an incentive to buy a model that is
being replaced ($4K on an E39 as it was being phased out for the E60).
Large dealerships in large markets can typically offer a better price break
than small ones. Best I've heard of was $1500 over invoice.

> 2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas? If so, what are the practical
> consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage or just
> less-than-optimal performance? (By less-than optimal, I mean just normal
> tooling ariound town - no redlining).

BMW's are tuned for 91 octane. You can run regular or mid grade then the
EMU will modify the engine's performance. You'll probably noticed poorer
gas mileage as well. If you're trying to pinch pennies in operating costs,
I'd recommend a Honda or Toyota. Any savings you realize in running cheaper
gas will be far outweighed by the preventive maintenance program when you
exceed you 50K/4 years of "free" maintenance.

> 3. I don't have a garage, but parking is off-street, so how well do BMW
> bodies hold up? (I live in Central Virginia).

OK, but paint tends to be somewhat brittle and chip prone. If you share the
road with lots of gravel trucks and folks that go offroad and then back on,
clear paint protection would be a wise investment.

Old December 19th 05, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BRH wrote:
> After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life,
> I'm finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a
> new "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal
> (ie - bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.
>
> I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
> Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.
>
> I have a few general questions about BMW's:
>
> 1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates,
> etc? Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?

No. Just negotiate the best deal you can. No specials, rebates or such
stuff.

> 2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas?

Some, not all. Mostly the higher performance models.

> If so, what are the
> practical consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage
> or just less-than-optimal performance?

less than optimum. The ECU will retard the ignition if it senses and
pinging.

> (By less-than optimal, I mean
> just normal tooling ariound town - no redlining).

Why not redlining? It's there for a reason you know...

> 3. I don't have a garage, but parking is off-street, so how well do BMW
> bodies hold up? (I live in Central Virginia).

Fine. Virginia weather is mild.

> Can't think of anything else to ask right now. Any help with these
> questions would be appreciated.

I do not personally consider BMWs as "luxury" cars, though I suppose the
7 series is and the later 5 series qualify. They are more like European
performance sedans (and coupes). That is why I buy them, for the
performance and driving experience, not for any "luxury" features, and
especially not for and "prestige factor". If you are looking for luxury
and prestige, and do not really care so much about the driving
experience then I would recommend the Infinity or Lexus.

--
-Fred W
Old December 19th 05, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I think the key is to drive one. IF you can't tell the difference
between a BMW and Audi/Mercedes/Acura/Lexus/Infiniti, then get yourself
one of those.

BMW use to require a very stringent maintenance program. (i.e., flush
brake fluid and coolant every 2 years; change differential and
transmission fluids every 30,000 miles). But with the advent of "free"
maintenance and "lifetime" fluids, those intervals have been greatly
extended. If you're the type that gets a new car every couple of
years/100,000 or less miles, then it doesn't matter. If you like to
keep your car for a long time, then it does make a difference.

Bottom line - drive one and see if you like it. If not, get something
else!

Old December 19th 05, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Agreed. They (and similar Mercs and Audis) are as common as muck on German
roads, and almost so in Britain. Not luxury, just nice cars.

DAS

---

[...]

Old December 20th 05, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> After driving Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas and yes - a Chevy, all my life,
> I'm finally at the point that I can afford (and want) to step up to a
> new "luxury" car. However, I still want to find the best overall deal
> (ie - bang for the buck). That's just my nature, I guess.
>
> I'm just getting started looking at BMW's, Audis, Acuras, Infinitis,
> Lexuses (Lexi?) etc, so I'm far from finalizing a decision.
>
> I have a few general questions about BMW's:
>
> 1. Does BMW ever run "specials" on new car purchases - ie - rebates,
> etc? Is there any "better" time to buy? Any buying tips?
>
> 2. Do BMW's generally require Premium gas? If so, what are the
> practical consequences of running mid-grade or regular? Engine Damage
> or just less-than-optimal performance? (By less-than optimal, I mean
> just normal tooling ariound town - no redlining).

I ran my '94 3 Series on mid-grade for about 120,000 miles. No wories.

I'm on my second car now, and use mid-grade in it as well.

Old December 20th 05, 10:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> Agreed. They (and similar Mercs and Audis) are as common as muck on German
> roads, and almost so in Britain. Not luxury, just nice cars.
>
> DAS

In the UK at least, BMW supply some models with less than base model
specs - the "ES" (extra spartan?) I believe they take a base model
and take things off of it. These are certainly not luxury cars. These
days many manufacturers are providing equipment the same or better than
BMW provides. I think you have to be BMW die-hard to only consider
BMW these days. Dealers suck in general and paying a premium to get
crappy service leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

In the UK the 3-series outsells the Ford sector equivalent the Mondeo
so in a way the Ford is more exclusive.

I would have no problem however recommending a several year old 5 or 7
series as a "cheap" luxury car. You can get parts and servicing at
non-BMW locations and drive around in something that only cost you ford
money.

Old December 20th 05, 11:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> I'd X out BMW as an option.

Why bother reading this group, then? Or are you wistful about what you're
missing?

Lexus make fine cars. Pity they're just so boring to drive.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.