Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ?

Old September 9th 05, 02:17 AM
Dave Henrie

"jason moyer" > wrote in news:1126222550.952108.240690
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> jason moyer wrote:
>
>> The only real competition is the same company that was his main
>> competitor from what...1998 to 2003?

> Actually, from 98-2001 he also had MGI to contend with, and they're
> gone now. As is Warthog, whom he'll never really have to worry about.

Lets see Jason, just a few things off the top of my head, And I
say this as a Papy user from ICR1 thru Nr2k3. I love the stuff they have
done and I appreciate the brillance of most of their efforts. But they
have not been a step ahead in all areas.
After GPL they backed away from multi-chassis physics. i.e. each car
behaves differently. Since then..7 or so years, we have had 1 basic
physics package with very little difference between makes even when they
did have more than one physics package.
Most of the F1 sims have had dynamic weather for years. Storms rolling
in and back out. Other than a breeze and a temperature change between
sessions, Papyrus has been very limited in it's weather presentation.

I will say though, that Papy/Kaemmer have done many things extremely
well, the best controller code, the best multiplayer code, the best FF
until RBR or GTR.

I am the middle of the road kinda guy. I race Papy more with leagues
and race ISI stuff more offline. Go figure.

dave henrie
Old September 9th 05, 02:53 AM
jason moyer

Dave Henrie wrote:

> I will say though, that Papy/Kaemmer have done many things extremely
> well, the best controller code, the best multiplayer code, the best FF
> until RBR or GTR.
>
> I am the middle of the road kinda guy. I race Papy more with leagues
> and race ISI stuff more offline. Go figure.

The only acceptable offline experience I've ever found is GP4 (not
counting RBR, which involves a fairly simple and modifiable quasi-AI),
and I've finally gotten so sick of the physics I can even use the AI as
an excuse for driving it anymore.

Even rFactor, which I think has improved the base set by previous ISI
sims somewhat in terms of the main things that bothered me (the "feel"
of the car and the net code) still lacks something in terms of the raw
driving experience for me. The ultimate test of any sim for me is
whether I can load up a test session and spend an hour driving alone
and actually feel like I accomplished something. I don't know why, but
I've never felt that way about any ISI sim, rFactor included.

Jason

Old September 9th 05, 03:21 AM
Dave Henrie

"jason moyer" > wrote in news:1126230796.501053.57530
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> The only acceptable offline experience I've ever found is GP4 (not
> counting RBR, which involves a fairly simple and modifiable quasi-AI),
> and I've finally gotten so sick of the physics I can even use the AI as
> an excuse for driving it anymore.
>
> Even rFactor, which I think has improved the base set by previous ISI
> sims somewhat in terms of the main things that bothered me (the "feel"
> of the car and the net code) still lacks something in terms of the raw
> driving experience for me. The ultimate test of any sim for me is
> whether I can load up a test session and spend an hour driving alone
> and actually feel like I accomplished something. I don't know why, but
> I've never felt that way about any ISI sim, rFactor included.
>
> Jason

And nothng wrong with that.
dh
Old September 9th 05, 07:32 AM

DB wrote:

> It doesn't say for the PC though

I got 100 bucks that say's Laemmer's next game is a console racer.

Old September 9th 05, 07:59 AM
Whooo

jason moyer wrote:
> Dave Henrie wrote:
>

>> I will say though, that Papy/Kaemmer have done many things extremely
>>well, the best controller code, the best multiplayer code, the best FF
>>until RBR or GTR.
>>
>> I am the middle of the road kinda guy. I race Papy more with leagues
>>and race ISI stuff more offline. Go figure.

> The only acceptable offline experience I've ever found is GP4 (not
> counting RBR, which involves a fairly simple and modifiable quasi-AI),
> and I've finally gotten so sick of the physics I can even use the AI as
> an excuse for driving it anymore.
>
> Even rFactor, which I think has improved the base set by previous ISI
> sims somewhat in terms of the main things that bothered me (the "feel"
> of the car and the net code) still lacks something in terms of the raw
> driving experience for me. The ultimate test of any sim for me is
> whether I can load up a test session and spend an hour driving alone
> and actually feel like I accomplished something. I don't know why, but
> I've never felt that way about any ISI sim, rFactor included.
>
> Jason

Try it with a big screen, act-labs shifter, 3D glasses and Trackir. Do
you still drive with a keyboard?
Old September 9th 05, 09:25 AM
Whooo

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2005 16:20:36 -0700, jason moyer wrote:
>
>>David G Fisher wrote:
>>

>>>Why is that?

>>DK has been one step of the competition with everything he's released
>>in the past 15 years. Why would that end now?
>>

> Everything has to end. Anybody remember this guy called Geoff Crammond?
> ;-)

The man was passing off old code as new. From GP1 through to 4, the only
thing what was new were the textures. Even the fanboys were the same.

Revs = fantastic, Revs+ = brill, GP1, amazing - everything else = crap.
Old September 9th 05, 09:31 AM
Steve Simpson

> Even rFactor, which I think has improved the base set by previous ISI
> sims somewhat in terms of the main things that bothered me (the "feel"
> of the car and the net code) still lacks something in terms of the raw
> driving experience for me.

Sounds exactly like what Jonathan Davis said (but pretty much nobody
else.) Been spending too much time in #gpl eh?
Old September 9th 05, 02:19 PM
jason moyer

Steve Simpson wrote:

> Sounds exactly like what Jonathan Davis said (but pretty much nobody
> else.) Been spending too much time in #gpl eh?

I haven't been in #GPL in like 3 years. Not much interest in the sim
since Nascar 2002 came out.

Old September 9th 05, 02:23 PM
jason moyer

Whooo wrote:

> Try it with a big screen, act-labs shifter, 3D glasses and Trackir. Do
> you still drive with a keyboard?

Actually, I drive without force feedback. Somehow Papy sims and even
RBR with its incredibly basic cockpit view manage to convey the
information I need to feel in control of the car without having some
over-exaggerated motorized wheel in my hands. I've never felt truly in
control of the car in ISI sims. *shrug* I think the "feel" being
conveyed by the cockpit is much better in rFactor than anything they've
done previously, but the sound is totally useless.

Old September 9th 05, 02:40 PM
jason moyer

Uwe Sch=FCrkamp wrote:

> Everything has to end. Anybody remember this guy called Geoff Crammond?

You mean the guy who owns the distinction of making the only modern F1
sim with artificial intelligence and real tracks?