Auto Wipers

Old June 11th 10, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Zathras

Default Auto Wipers

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:28:52 -0400, Dean Dark
> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:00:10 +0100, Zathras
> wrote:
>>
>>>Still have not been full throttle yet...

>>..ahh..you don't believe these then..
>>
>>http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

>That's one of the most ghastly web sites I've ever seen. I couldn't
>bear to read very much of it, it made my eyes hurt.

Well done..shot the messenger! Sites look completely legible on my
monitors. Perhaps style over substance is your thing?

>>http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/runin.htm

>David Baker's still around then?

Recently retired AFAIK.

>He has to be one of the most
>self-important and opinionated people out there.
>
>I am not disagreeing with you,

What did *I* say?!

> I'm just suggesting that you need some
>sources with better presentation and credibility.

Eh? Two hugely experienced, professional, independent race engine
builders from two different countries. What expertise do you possess
to even question their credibility?

Old June 11th 10, 09:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Zathras

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:33:57 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:

>If you hold the stop/start switch for >2 seconds,
>the engine will shut down,

Fantastic..a car just like my PC..ok, it needs 4 seconds!

Old June 11th 10, 11:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:03:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Dean Dark > wrote:
>> >http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/runin.htm

>> David Baker's still around then? He has to be one of the most
>> self-important and opinionated people out there.

>But absolutely spot on most of the time.

But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his
"personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle
it, and all his toys go out of the pram.
Old June 11th 10, 11:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:09:17 +0100, Zathras
> wrote:

>Eh? Two hugely experienced, professional, independent race engine
>builders from two different countries. What expertise do you possess
>to even question their credibility?

*Now* who's shooting the messenger?

If you read carefully, I was just pointing out that a) someone who
learned a few HTML tags and thinks he can put together a "web site"
and b) an egomaniac, are not the best showcases for engineering
knowledge, no matter how sound most of it may be.

Do you see?
Old June 11th 10, 11:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Skelton[_2_]

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
ition...

> "David Skelton" > wrote
>> I also found that it is not possible to turn off the ignition whislt moving, which
>> might worry some drivers that think that if the electronic 'throttle' control 'sticks'
>> open, then the engine cannot be turned off. Hence, I will be fitting a (hidden) fuel
>> pump kill switch to this car too.

> You must not have done it correctly. If you hold the stop/start switch for 2 seconds,
> the engine will shut down, no matter whether you are moving or whether you are
> still in gear.
>
> I just tried this on my 335d.
>
> FloydR

Thanks, that is good to know.

best wishes

David Skelton

Old June 11th 10, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Skelton[_2_]

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:36:01 +0100, "David Skelton"
> > wrote:
>
>>Still have not been full throttle yet...

> ..ahh..you don't believe these then..
>
> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
> http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/runin.htm
>
> <pedant on> Where's the "throttle" on a 335d?<pedant off> ;-)

The first is a builder of high revving race engines, not the same as a diesel road
engine.

The second, well I followed most of that advice, but going full throttle for 10 seconds
in fourth or fifth gear will put you into licence losing territory within ten seconds if
you are already moving.
Even in manual mode, the gear box will still shift down at approaching full throttle,
therefore not keeping the revs below the *manufacturers* guidance ( whom has a lot more
experience of their engines than any 'builder', BTY).

So we did, from 200 miles, do several short 1/2 throttle bursts in a high gear every time
we went out in it.

I think you will find most mechanics will change the oil in their own car (if it was new)
after about the first 1500 miles.

We collected the car with 8 miles registered on the odometer, no idea how it was driven
during that time.

The engine is test run at the engine factory before shipping it to the car assembly
plant, which is hundreds of miles away from the engine factory.

I agree that the first oil, or engine fill at the factory should not be fully synthetic,
but that would ruin the DPF as it needs to be a low SAPS oil, not available as a non
fully synthetic.

best regards

David Skelton

Old June 11th 10, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dean Dark > wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:03:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> > wrote:

> >> David Baker's still around then? He has to be one of the most
> >> self-important and opinionated people out there.

> >But absolutely spot on most of the time.

> But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his
> "personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle
> it, and all his toys go out of the pram.

Not found that at all. Of course being 'wrong' can just be an opinion.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 11th 10, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:06:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

>> >But absolutely spot on most of the time.

>> But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his
>> "personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle
>> it, and all his toys go out of the pram.

>Not found that at all. Of course being 'wrong' can just be an opinion.

I can stick to my *opinion* that the earth is flat if I want to. The
*fact* is that it isn't. That's the difference. Sometimes you've
just got to admit that you were wrong and, without all the drama and
tantrums, move on.
Old June 11th 10, 02:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dean Dark > wrote:

> >> But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his
> >> "personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle
> >> it, and all his toys go out of the pram.

> >Not found that at all. Of course being 'wrong' can just be an opinion.

> I can stick to my *opinion* that the earth is flat if I want to. The
> *fact* is that it isn't. That's the difference. Sometimes you've
> just got to admit that you were wrong and, without all the drama and
> tantrums, move on.

All I can say is your experience of Mr Baker is very different to mine.
I've never met him personally, but have received (free) advice from him on
a number of occasions. His web site is a wealth of information (based
mainly on his own practical experience) full of things not that readily
available elsewhere. I agree he can be blunt - but nowt wrong with that.
;-)

When it comes to modifying engines for performance, there are lots of
ways to skin a cat, as they say.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Wipers always on DougW[_2_] Jeep 4 September 30th 07 01:59 PM
Odd Wipers [email protected] Audi 0 December 5th 06 01:28 AM
e34 Wipers Steve Parry BMW 4 February 25th 06 10:42 AM
Wipers? Glenn VW water cooled 8 February 18th 05 04:50 AM
Auto windscreen wipers Lapchien BMW 2 October 20th 04 08:56 PM