Engines

Old March 2nd 10, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Default Engines

DAS wrote:

>FWIW, many (25 - 30?) years ago I heard a story that if Mercedes engineers
>could get their way they would only show a speedometer and fuel gauge. (For
>oil level there was the dipstick; I am talking of the then available dials
>on the dashboard.)
>
>The rest of the dials were unnecessary.

Ha! That's some *German engineers* thinking, there... 8)

Old March 2nd 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

dizzy > wrote:
>DAS wrote:
>
>>FWIW, many (25 - 30?) years ago I heard a story that if Mercedes engineers
>>could get their way they would only show a speedometer and fuel gauge. (For
>>oil level there was the dipstick; I am talking of the then available dials
>>on the dashboard.)
>>
>>The rest of the dials were unnecessary.

>Ha! That's some *German engineers* thinking, there... 8)

You just have one light that says "REPLACE CAR SOON."
--scott

Old March 2nd 10, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>Hence things like the BMW temperature gauge which stays exactly in the
>middle over a wide range of actual coolant temperature.

That it does... 8)

My motorcycle (a Suzuki SV650) has a digital coolant gauge that is
quite fast-responding. On cool days, it will slowly rise to about
200F, and then plummet to 185F in a couple seconds, when the
thermostat opens. Then it slowly makes its way back again...

I'm sure a car motor several times as massive does not change so
rapidly...

Old March 2nd 10, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Tom K. wrote:

>"David Skelton" wrote:
>>
>> On the E46, it is possible to access the water temperature through holding
>> the odometer button in (with ignition on) for ages, until "test 1" appears
>> in the display, then....................

>Thanks for the info, David. Somehow, I find it to be already difficult
>enough to dodge our cell phone pre-occupied drivers so I think I'll forego
>the above button press dance in traffic!

My E46 has a regular temp gauge. The perfect car. 8)

Old March 2nd 10, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
floyd rogers

"dizzy" > wrote
> Tom K. wrote:
>>"David Skelton" wrote:
>>>
>>> On the E46, it is possible to access the water temperature through
>>> holding
>>> the odometer button in (with ignition on) for ages, until "test 1"
>>> appears
>>> in the display, then....................

>>Thanks for the info, David. Somehow, I find it to be already difficult
>>enough to dodge our cell phone pre-occupied drivers so I think I'll forego
>>the above button press dance in traffic!

> My E46 has a regular temp gauge. The perfect car. 8)

It's not a "real" gauge. It's a computer-moderated display that essentially
has three positions: Cold, Operating Temperature, Hot. It does not
reflect any true temperature. The reason for that is that the
electronically-
controlled thermostat (also controlled by the computer) closes down
and runs the engine hotter when running at relatively constant speed
for greater efficiency. The gauge would wobble too much if it reflected
"true" temperature.

FloydR