OBC into E30 318is

Old July 13th 08, 07:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
James[_11_]

Default OBC into E30 318is

I've seen BMW 13 button On Board Computers sold on ebay that are said to fit
into an E30 318.
I have a 1990 318is and would like to fit one - but not if it involves
splicing wires or anything that could stop the car being extremely reliable.

Is there a socket for the OBC to plug into?
Is there anything else required, other than removing the analog clock (ie
special mounts)?
Can it be fitted without removing the dash?
As the OBC will be a model removed from a US vehicle, can it be changed from
gallons to litres, and miles to km?

Thanks

Old July 13th 08, 10:58 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"James" > wrote in message
> I've seen BMW 13 button On Board Computers sold on ebay that are said to
> fit into an E30 318.
> I have a 1990 318is and would like to fit one - but not if it involves
> splicing wires or anything that could stop the car being extremely
> reliable.
>
> Is there a socket for the OBC to plug into?
> Is there anything else required, other than removing the analog clock (ie
> special mounts)?
> Can it be fitted without removing the dash?

Dunno.

> As the OBC will be a model removed from a US vehicle, can it be changed
> from gallons to litres, and miles to km?

This is a simple setting on every OBC since 1982. Indeed you can usually
set some parameters in km (e.g. range, speed, temprature etc.) and
consumption in mpg, however be aware that since the USA left UK jurisdiction
in 1776 some of their units are not "Imperial", in particular the gallon,
which is 20% short.

Old July 13th 08, 12:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Burns

I took an easier path on mine :-)

I fitted the six button digital clock / outside temperature unit. I had
to run a wire to the back of the dashboard and another to the temp
sensor in the brake duct. Not a hard job at all. Much easier than
fitting the full OBC.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old July 13th 08, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Michael Yeager

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:37:58 +1000, "James"
> wrote:

>I've seen BMW 13 button On Board Computers sold on ebay that are said to fit
>into an E30 318.
>I have a 1990 318is and would like to fit one - but not if it involves
>splicing wires or anything that could stop the car being extremely reliable.

You will need thew harness that goes from the back of the instrument
cluster to the OBC. These usually come with the OBC on Ebay but check
to make sure. There is a second harness if you want the code feature
to work (as well as a relay box) and the turn signal stalk can be
changed if you want to be able to cycle through the OBC displays that
way. None of the extra stuff is critical. There is NO splicing
required and it's all plug and play.

>Is there a socket for the OBC to plug into?

Answered above.

>Is there anything else required, other than removing the analog clock (ie
>special mounts)?
>Can it be fitted without removing the dash?

You will have to remove the speedometer display and the heater / AC
control panel enough to swap the OBC into the clock place. Mounts are
the same.

>As the OBC will be a model removed from a US vehicle, can it be changed from
>gallons to litres, and miles to km?

Actually, it defaults to KPH and Litres (German car). If you need
Imperial gallons, there's an option for that as well.

>Thanks

No problem
Old July 13th 08, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Michael Yeager

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:58:37 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:

>This is a simple setting on every OBC since 1982. Indeed you can usually
>set some parameters in km (e.g. range, speed, temprature etc.) and
>consumption in mpg, however be aware that since the USA left UK jurisdiction
>in 1776 some of their units are not "Imperial", in particular the gallon,
>which is 20% short.
>

>> Thanks

Are you serious???
Old July 13th 08, 03:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jono[_2_]

Michael Yeager pretended :
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:58:37 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>
>> This is a simple setting on every OBC since 1982. Indeed you can usually
>> set some parameters in km (e.g. range, speed, temprature etc.) and
>> consumption in mpg, however be aware that since the USA left UK jurisdiction
>> in 1776 some of their units are not "Imperial", in particular the gallon,
>> which is 20% short.
>>

>>> Thanks

> Are you serious???

Serious about the smallness of the American gallon?

<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=1+uk+gallon+in+us+gallons&meta=>

Old July 13th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Michael Yeager > wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:58:37 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> wrote:
>
>>This is a simple setting on every OBC since 1982. Indeed you can usually
>>set some parameters in km (e.g. range, speed, temprature etc.) and
>>consumption in mpg, however be aware that since the USA left UK jurisdiction
>>in 1776 some of their units are not "Imperial", in particular the gallon,
>>which is 20% short.

> Are you serious???

Yes, sadly. American pints have considerably less beer in them.

That said, I am wondering why the original poster wants an OBC. I have
never found it very useful.... the temperature display and time are
occasionally handy, but the timer functions aren't sufficient for rallies
these days (and the passenger can't easily use the thing).
--scott
Old July 14th 08, 12:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
James[_11_]

"> That said, I am wondering why the original poster wants an OBC. I have
> never found it very useful.... the temperature display and time are
> occasionally handy, but the timer functions aren't sufficient for rallies
> these days (and the passenger can't easily use the thing).
> --scott

The practical reason is that it shows average fuel consumption. It would be
great if it showed instantaneous consumption, but I can't have everything.

The main reason is that it's a cool gadget that wasn't standard on my
model - and it's now cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.

James

Old July 14th 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

James > wrote:
>"> That said, I am wondering why the original poster wants an OBC. I have
>> never found it very useful.... the temperature display and time are
>> occasionally handy, but the timer functions aren't sufficient for rallies
>> these days (and the passenger can't easily use the thing).

>The practical reason is that it shows average fuel consumption. It would be
>great if it showed instantaneous consumption, but I can't have everything.

I'll buy that. I warn you that I have found the derived numbers on the
OBC to be less than accurate; I have run out of gas while the OBC indicated
I had 20 miles of gas left in the tank. So I don't know how much I trust it.

>The main reason is that it's a cool gadget that wasn't standard on my
>model - and it's now cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.

I am suspicious of cool gadgets, but the OBC should not be a difficult
retrofit because there are only a limited number of inputs. I suggest you
avoid connecting the horn and the ignition disabler.
--scott
Old July 14th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Michael Yeager

On 14 Jul 2008 10:38:17 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>James > wrote:
>>"> That said, I am wondering why the original poster wants an OBC. I have
>>> never found it very useful.... the temperature display and time are
>>> occasionally handy, but the timer functions aren't sufficient for rallies
>>> these days (and the passenger can't easily use the thing).

>>The practical reason is that it shows average fuel consumption. It would be
>>great if it showed instantaneous consumption, but I can't have everything.

>I'll buy that. I warn you that I have found the derived numbers on the
>OBC to be less than accurate; I have run out of gas while the OBC indicated
>I had 20 miles of gas left in the tank. So I don't know how much I trust it.
>
>>The main reason is that it's a cool gadget that wasn't standard on my
>>model - and it's now cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.

>I am suspicious of cool gadgets, but the OBC should not be a difficult
>retrofit because there are only a limited number of inputs. I suggest you
>avoid connecting the horn and the ignition disabler.
>--scott

I'll second the horn and ignition cutout unless you just want to
have it all working. I installed it all and disconnected the horn.
Have never used the code feature as I installed an alarm and it does
the ignition cutout for me (as well as remote start).

318is allpurpose BMW 0 March 1st 06 07:12 PM
96 BMW 318is [email protected] BMW 1 January 24th 06 02:28 AM
BMW E30 318Is what mean... SkF BMW 6 January 15th 06 03:09 PM
Q:BMW E30 318Is Asus BMW 3 September 24th 05 09:30 PM
Q:BMW E30 318Is VaNoS BMW 1 August 7th 05 10:09 PM