Consider buying American!

Old February 21st 08, 12:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Default Consider buying American!

still just me wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 01:22:00 GMT, dizzy > wrote:
>
>>still just me wrote:
>>
>>>RWD has a disadvantage in that the weight of the car is typically
>>>displaced about 60/40 towards the front of the car.

>>for a modern RWD car to be worse than 55/45. Most BMW's are 50/50 or
>>very close to it.
>>
>>(Contrast that with typical FWD car's 63/27 weight ratio - damn near
>>TWICE as much weight on the front as on the rears - a major
>>disadvantage for handling and performance.)

>That's not typical in my experience.

Then you aren't an experienced driver.

>I would concede to the 55/45.
>But, that weight is a traction advantage.

The front-heaviness of FWD is an advantage ONLY in VERY poor-traction
situations, like snow. Otherwise, it is a SEVERE disadvantage, both
in handling AND in traction.

FACT, not opinion.

Quit pulling ignorant bull**** out of your ass, please.

>A FWD car can be made to handle very well

FWD is inferior for handling. Period. For performance driving, it
*sucks*.

> - strict performance driving (again) excepted.

Everything but when there's snow on the streets excepted.

>Ad for the BMW's, congrats if they are now that close. I haven't
>worked on one since the 2002 (and I don't mean model year). But, most
>drivers don't drive cars designed on caliber with BMW engineering. For
>most drivers, less expensively designed FWD cars fit better.

In your opinion. At least you wrote "most drivers" this time, instead
of your 99.95% bull****.

>>>So, in slippery
>>>conditions, RWD will lose traction sooner. Many folks with RWD put
>>>sand bags in the rear of the car to add weight in the Winter just to
>>>get around in the snow.

>>Your notions are obsolete, in regards to modern cars with stability
>>control systems. I will concede that RWD owners in the snow-belt
>>should get real Winter tires, while most FWD cars can get-by with
>>all-seasons.

>They are not obsolete. Perhaps you don't live in snow country.

Yes, they are, and yes, I do.

> If you
>did, you could go to the hardware store and watch the bags of sand
>sell.

Maybe people with old pickups. Not modern RWD cars.

>RWD cars with traction control do better. Unfortunately, John Q.
>Public doesn't usually drive a car with traction control.

You're showing your ignorance. Traction control has been *common* on
better RWD cars for over a DECADE.

>The tire issue is also significant - FWD drivers can drive a high
>performance all season tire and enjoy very good handling year round.
>Even in snowy areas, roads are clear 80% of the time. The RWD owner
>has to put up with crappy handling, noisy, rough, snow tires for the
>entire Winter season if he wants to be able to move when there's snow
>on the ground.

You are showing your ignorance again. Modern Winter tires are not
"crappy handling", "noisy", or "rough". Do you really think people
driving RWD luxury cars would put up with that?

And, of course, you miss the other side of the coin. The Winter tires
allow clearly superior braking and handling in adverse conditions,
which means better safety. Also, the Summer months are driven on
dedicated Summer performance tires, which kick-ass on no-season
radials for handling and performance.

FWD is a cheaper "compromise" to get through life, for sure. But it's
drastically inferior to RWD. This is why all the bast cars are RWD.

Old February 21st 08, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Mike hunt

That's true, my '07 Mustang GT convertible, with winter tires and traction
lock axle, is better in unplowed snow than my FWD '08 Lincoln MKZ with all
season radials. Both have traction control, but that needs to be turned off
to climb a steep grade. The RWD Mustang easily pulls my uphill driveway,
while the MKZ will sit with the wheels spinning. The Mustang is far superior
on wet and ice roads as well.

. ..

Old February 21st 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

still just me wrote:

>>>That's not typical in my experience.

>>Then you aren't an experienced driver.

>My driving experience has nothing to do with my experience reading
>chassis specifications.

Maybe you should try driving, instead of "reading chassis
specifications" and coming up with your stupid, ignorant theories.

>>The front-heaviness of FWD is an advantage ONLY in VERY poor-traction
>>situations, like snow. Otherwise, it is a SEVERE disadvantage, both
>>in handling AND in traction.

>>FACT, not opinion.

>The "Severe disadvantage" you cite is OPINION.

What part do you claim is not a "fact"? That the disadvantage is not
"severe"?

That's some amazingly petty nitpicking, coming from an idiot who
litters his ignorant argument with precise claims like "99.95%".

>FWD cars can be well
>tuned and do just fine in both daily driving and mildly sporting
>conditions.

Sure it can do "just fine". But RWD is substantially superior, in
essentially all conditions excepting snow.

>As I've posted multiple times in this thread, RWD excels
>in serious performance.
>
>>>It is not a performance issue for 99.95% of drivers.

>>Quit pulling ignorant bull**** out of your ass, please.

>Ah, there's the Diz I know... just throw some insults when confronted
>by contradictory information.

Your "99.95%" is *obviously* bull**** pulled from your ass.

Do you *really* think you're fooling anyone with a claim that your
"99.95% statement" is some great "contradictory information" to which
I had no rebuttal, so that I had no recourse but to insult?

Don't you know that you're getting your ass kicked, here?

>Fact Diz: 99.5% of drivers don't know what throttle steer, understeer,
>or oversteer even are.

Another idiotic, obviously false claim, pulled from your ass. Unless
you'd like to provide proof?

Besides, it's an irrelevant point to even try to make. One need not
know the definitions of those terms to appreciate a better-handling
car. Duh.

>>>A FWD car can be made to handle very well

>>FWD is inferior for handling. Period. For performance driving, it
>>*sucks*.

>Opinion, not fact. FWD cars can be made to handle very well.

"FWD is inferior for handling" is a fact beyond dispute, and most with
a clue would agree that it "sucks" for performance driving.

> In high
>performance applications, RWD or AWD is better. Very few drivers drive
>their cars at the limits, where it matters.

It matters more than just "at the limits", which you would know, if
not for your ignorance of the situation.

>>> - strict performance driving (again) excepted.

>>Everything but when there's snow on the streets excepted.

>Riiiiiight.

Nice rebuttal.

>>>Ad for the BMW's, congrats if they are now that close. I haven't
>>>worked on one since the 2002 (and I don't mean model year). But, most
>>>drivers don't drive cars designed on caliber with BMW engineering. For
>>>most drivers, less expensively designed FWD cars fit better.

>>In your opinion. At least you wrote "most drivers" this time, instead
>>of your 99.95% bull****.

>Here you go then: 99.5%

Idiot.

>>>They are not obsolete. Perhaps you don't live in snow country.

>>Yes, they are, and yes, I do.

>Now who's BSing, Diz?

You are. How about disputing my claims with facts and logic for a
change?

Your notions ARE obsolete. Essentially, NO ONE with a modern RWD car
puts weight in the back to aid traction. The weight balance is very
close to 50/50 already, and modern traction/stability-control systems
WORK.

>>> If you
>>>did, you could go to the hardware store and watch the bags of sand
>>>sell.

>>Maybe people with old pickups. Not modern RWD cars.

>Maybe not BMW's or upscale cars with traction control. Other folks
>slide all over the road.

Funny, I haven't seen that happening. Just who are these "other
folks" driving modern RWD cars that do not have traction control?

Hint: With just a few exceptions in the last decade, RWD cars HAVE
been "high end" cars.

>>>RWD cars with traction control do better. Unfortunately, John Q.
>>>Public doesn't usually drive a car with traction control.

>>You're showing your ignorance. Traction control has been *common* on
>>better RWD cars for over a DECADE.

>Yeah, right. Upscale RWD cars. Read what I wrote.

See above. Most RWD cars on the road are "upscale" cars, and the vast
majority sold in the last decade have traction control. The only
exceptions might be Mustangs or something, and I'd be very surprised
if even they haven't had it for years.

>>>The tire issue is also significant - FWD drivers can drive a high
>>>performance all season tire and enjoy very good handling year round.
>>>Even in snowy areas, roads are clear 80% of the time. The RWD owner
>>>has to put up with crappy handling, noisy, rough, snow tires for the
>>>entire Winter season if he wants to be able to move when there's snow
>>>on the ground.

>>You are showing your ignorance again. Modern Winter tires are not
>>"crappy handling", "noisy", or "rough". Do you really think people
>>driving RWD luxury cars would put up with that?

>They have for a long time - why would they complain now?

Look. You are ignorant. You prove it with almost every one of your
statements, like this:

"The RWD owner has to put up with crappy handling, noisy, rough, snow
tires"

You are wrong. You are ignorant. Your statements make it quite clear
that your perceptions of RWD cars, tires, and how they perform are
completely obsolete and utterly mistaken.

>>And, of course, you miss the other side of the coin. The Winter tires
>>allow clearly superior braking and handling in adverse conditions,
>>which means better safety. Also, the Summer months are driven on
>>dedicated Summer performance tires, which kick-ass on no-season
>>radials for handling and performance.

>Yawn.

Nice rebuttal, again. Nice job of displaying your ignorance to the
world, then "yawning" when you get your ass handed to you.

>>FWD is a cheaper "compromise" to get through life, for sure. But it's
>>drastically inferior to RWD. This is why all the bast cars are RWD.

>Define "best"? Best for what? Best as an everyday driver? Best cost
>to manufacture? Best maintenance cost? Best at the track in a
>specified event?

Suffering from reading comprehension problems? Have we not been
discussing handling and performance?

>For most drivers, FWD is a winner.

For m most drivers, handling and performance don't really matter. For
them, FWD is fine.

But RWD is better. That's why all the best cars are RWD.

Old February 22nd 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:39:27 -0500, "Tom K."
> wrote:

>"still just me" > wrote in message
.. .

>> The RWD owner
>> has to put up with crappy handling, noisy, rough, snow tires for the
>> entire Winter season if he wants to be able to move when there's snow
>> on the ground.
>>

>Not true at all of the V rated Dunlop Winter Sport M3s mounted on my E46 BMW
>328i. For a tire that does very well in snow, both dry and wet handling are
>quite amazing with a better ride than the summer Conti Sport Contacts.
>
>You might want to investigate the current "performance" winter tires
>available from a number of tire makers.
>
>Tom K.

I will second that. I have been driving Nokians on my GS-R for two
winters now and hey are great. They really go on snow and ice and
give a reasonable ride and surprisingly good dry handling.

Old February 23rd 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

still just me wrote:

>Have fun Diz, go insult someone else now. Conversing with you is like
>teaching a pig to sing.

Nice attempt at saving face after getting your ass kicked.

Sorry, but I kicked your ass with facts and reason. The insults you
deserved also.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:03 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

dizzy wrote:
> still just me wrote:
>
>> Have fun Diz, go insult someone else now. Conversing with you is like
>> teaching a pig to sing.

> Nice attempt at saving face after getting your ass kicked.
>
> Sorry, but I kicked your ass with facts and reason. The insults you
> deserved also.

LOL - you're truly a legend in your own mind.
Old February 24th 08, 12:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

So - eventually everyone decided NOT to buy American.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old February 26th 08, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>So - eventually everyone decided NOT to buy American.

No, I am seriously looking at a Studebaker right now.
--scott