97 528i for 11K

Old February 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
Michael

Default 97 528i for 11K

Folks,

I have had six Bimmers and currently own a 83 633CSi.
And why did I sell the 73 2002 tii?

My 16 yod daughter is the poster child for a Stepford child and I am
looking at a 97 528i w/ 137K mls for her (God I wish my father had been so
good or I had been such a good kid). Anything in particular I should be
aware of?

The transmission seems to have some problems...chunky crap at start off on
occasion. Needs pads and rotors, fluid changout and a timing belt. They
want an asking price of $11,800.

My thoughts are for offering $8500.

Ideas?

Old February 2nd 05, 07:06 PM
Grunff

Michael wrote:

> The transmission seems to have some problems...chunky crap at start off on
> occasion. Needs pads and rotors, fluid changout and a timing belt. They
> want an asking price of $11,800.

Timing belt? I thought all the I6 e39s had chains?

--
Grunff
Old February 2nd 05, 07:07 PM
bfd

<The transmission seems to have some problems...chunky crap a=ADt start
off on
occasion. >

BMW states that the transmission fluid in these cars is "lifetime".
Bet the tranny fluid in this car has never been changed. Since the car
has 137K on it, expect the tranny will need replacing soon. Price one
and lower your offer accordingly....

Old February 2nd 05, 07:13 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> The transmission seems to have some problems...chunky crap at start off
> on occasion. Needs pads and rotors, fluid changout and a timing belt.
> They want an asking price of $11,800.

Tat's a worry. No E39 uses a timing belt - they're all chains.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 2nd 05, 10:42 PM
Michael

"Grunff" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > The transmission seems to have some problems...chunky crap at start off

on
> > occasion. Needs pads and rotors, fluid changout and a timing belt.

They
> > want an asking price of $11,800.

> Timing belt? I thought all the I6 e39s had chains?
>

> --
> Grunff

Thanks for the info on the chain vs. the belt.

Anything else about the 97 528i that might jump up and bite me?

Old February 3rd 05, 12:01 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> Anything else about the 97 528i that might jump up and bite me?

Worn front suspension bushes. Check for wheel wobble at about 60.
Rear anti-roll bar links.
Heater motor speed resistor - check fan works properly.
Aux cooling fan- should run when AC switched on.

But non of these will break the bank.

Generally, a pretty reliable car.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Old February 3rd 05, 01:01 AM
Michael Low

The E39 528 would make a great used buy - for you. However, it's not
quite the same as used cars from "our early days". Repairs and
maintenance can consume a lot more than the concept of "student's cars"
of yore. Unless you or your daughter is good with a wrench and OBD II
diagnostics you may end up paying for a lot of worn parts and fixes
that the current owner may be hoping to pass on to the next buyer.

Don't buy a used car for your kid that already has problems. If the
problem were simple to fix the previous owner would have fixed it
already.

The 528 is really part of the current maintenance model for BMWs - lots
of electronics and exacting tolerances. It's not like an old clunker
that won't bother you if you detect a few imperfections with it. They
will bother your daughter.

The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of wear
and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the 528
is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:20 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
Michael Low > wrote:
> The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of wear
> and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
> least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
> maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the 528
> is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a young
driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things are
obviously different in the US?

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:55 PM
The Malt Hound

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> Michael Low > wrote:
>> The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of
>> wear
>> and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
>> least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
>> maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the
>> 528
>> is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

> In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a young
> driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things
> are
> obviously different in the US?

They are not. I would suggest that Dad do some insurance pricing
before he buys daughter the bimmer. Between that and the likely
maintenance costs, I'm pretty sure there would be a better car for his
little girl.

BTW - I have been pretty lucky with SAABs for my 2 girls. Safe cars.
Low insurance costs. They depreciate fast so PO has paid the huge
depreciation already and they are relatively cheap. But I do all of
the maintenance (even relatively major stuff) myself.

YMMV
-Fred W

Old February 3rd 05, 03:02 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
The Malt Hound <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:
> > In the UK it would be ruled out by the cost of insurance for a young
> > driver - very likely as much as the car itself. Wonder why things
> > are
> > obviously different in the US?
> >

> They are not. I would suggest that Dad do some insurance pricing
> before he buys daughter the bimmer. Between that and the likely
> maintenance costs, I'm pretty sure there would be a better car for his
> little girl.

> BTW - I have been pretty lucky with SAABs for my 2 girls. Safe cars.
> Low insurance costs. They depreciate fast so PO has paid the huge
> depreciation already and they are relatively cheap. But I do all of
> the maintenance (even relatively major stuff) myself.

In the UK, even a 'safe' car like a SAAB or Volvo would still be
prohibitive to insure for a young person. Unless wealthy, they've be
looking at the smallest cars of around 1 litre.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 01:18 PM
97 528i Runs hot then cool WHWHITE BMW 3 January 2nd 05 04:33 AM
528i Steering issue/questions Jeff BMW 1 October 6th 04 11:37 PM