BMW Alfina

Old October 14th 04, 01:21 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article outautos.com>,
DECjr > wrote:
> I also thought it was spelled “Alfina”, and I found your message through
> Google to Totally BMW by spelling it that way.

Think it's named after the Alpines - a mountain range in Europe.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Where are the Alpines, Dave?

DAS
---

[........]

Old October 14th 04, 07:21 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> Where are the Alpines, Dave?

Not Europe?

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Old October 14th 04, 09:51 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

That's the question. In Europe the only similar-sounding range I am aware
of is the Alps.

Were you referring to the foothills, maybe ... ;-)

DAS
---

Old October 14th 04, 11:03 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> That's the question. In Europe the only similar-sounding range I am aware
> of is the Alps.

> Were you referring to the foothills, maybe ... ;-)

Had a brain fart here. Alpine in the UK means 'of high mountains, of the
Alps' So an adjective that could refer to say a high altitude village,
pass etc. But not necessarily in the Alps themselves. I'd just assumed
that Alpina meant something similar. Not sure they could have used Alpine
itself, as Chrysler may now still 'own' that name after taking over
Sunbeam.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Old October 14th 04, 11:41 PM
Tom Korth

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message

> IIRC the hardtop is included with the car at no extra fee (which seems
> okay for a 250.000 Dollar car and the fact that the Mercedes SL does not
> need a separate hardtop). AFAIR the R129 Mercedes SL was also delivered
> with a free hardtop.

Did the Z-8 really sell for U.S. $250,000.00 in your neck of the woods? In
the U.S., both the regular Z-8 (thru 2002) and Alpina (2003 only, IIRC)
carried a MSRP of around $130,000.00. I believe low mileage examples are
now selling in the $110-115k range.

Tom

Old October 15th 04, 10:43 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Keep wriggling... :-)))

DAS
London W2 -- your mate from down the road (as viewed from across the
Atlantic)
---

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
[.........]

.. So an adjective that could refer to say a high altitude village,
> pass etc. But not necessarily in the Alps themselves. I'd just assumed
> that Alpina meant something similar.

[......]

Old October 15th 04, 12:22 PM
Frank Kemper

"Tom Korth" > haute in die Tasten:

> Did the Z-8 really sell for U.S. $250,000.00 in your neck of the woods?

Oops! Sorry, I think I was mislead by the Deutschmark-Euro-Conversion.
When the Z8 was introduced in 1999 or so, they announced a price of
around 220000 DM, which was about twice as much as for a contemporary M5
(with the same engine) and significantly more than for an average
Mercedes SL. I found that ourtrageously expensive. Converted to Euro
220000 DM are about 115000 Euro, which are about 140.000 US$ (all
calculated roughly in my head).

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance