TOP GEAR REVIEWS THE BMW 1 SERIES M COUPE

Old July 10th 11, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

Default TOP GEAR REVIEWS THE BMW 1 SERIES M COUPE

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:10:31 -0500, dizzy >
wrote:

>>I miss the old days, when cars were judged by how well they drove and
>>handled, instead of high horsepower, and wide tyres to tame it.

>Well then, I'll ask who could possibly make use of the superior
>balance and handling characteristics of rear-wheel drive?

It depends on the car. For example, I owned several Minis, ranging
from stock bangers to a 1091 that was tuned up the wazoo and made
close to 100 bhp. What did it weigh? How quick was it? That is an
exercise for the math student, if you don't happen to already know.

>I could go on. It was a cheap little car. Fun to drive under the
>right circumstances? Maybe so, but still left in the dust by many
>others. IMO, of course.

FWD can work very, very well in small, light cars. Do you remember
how Minis whipped and stomped all over Jaguar's arse in saloon car
racing in the early 60s? How do you explain that?

Free Clue: Look at the power to weight ratio.

Second Free Clue: Compare the weight of a Mk. I Golf GTI to the
current iteration of the same.
Old July 11th 11, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Dean Dark wrote:

>FWD can work very, very well in small, light cars. Do you remember
>how Minis whipped and stomped all over Jaguar's arse in saloon car
>racing in the early 60s? How do you explain that?

No, I'm not that old to remenber that.

I did own a second-generation Honda CRX Si, and it was a fun car. It
could go 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds, while, as I recall, the MK I GTI
was a couple seconds slower. Not sure why, considering the CRX was
just 105 HP.

Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the "Rabbit" I once
owned. I think it was a Mk I Golf.

>Free Clue: Look at the power to weight ratio.
>
>Second Free Clue: Compare the weight of a Mk. I Golf GTI to the
>current iteration of the same.

Well, power has almost doubled, but weight has certainly not...

As an aside, WTF is it with VW/Audi and that awful inline-5? Talk
about a red-headed stepchild of an engine...

Old July 11th 11, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

DAS wrote:

>Dizzy's wish is granted:
>
>116 - 204 HP
>
>http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...%3D%3D,00.html
>
>Scroll down to 1M.
>
>Which traffic lights Grand Prix does dizzy wish to win?

I thought that we were comparing the Golf to *this* "1 series M
coupe".

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx

335 HP.