Ford Explorer Sport 2001

Old December 13th 05, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Ford Explorer Sport 2001

It has been a year since I bought my 2001 Explorer Sport SUV, I like
it. Yet,... winter has arrived again and my fear of driving it on snow
is back! I am supposed to feel safe in this vehicle but I don't, It
slides side-ways so easily when barely touching the gas pedal on wet
snowy roads. Swiching it on 4X4 helps but does not make me feel safe as
I am told how SUV's should be.
"It is the tires" as a friend of mine suggested. The tyres on it are
Good Year Wrangler RT/S P255/70 R16. Has 100,000km (59,000MI) the
treads are not in bad shape.
I started experiencing terrifying moments when on 2 wheel drive, it
would not hesitate to spin both rear tyres when I start accelerating,
sliding the rear end to one side or the other. Thank God for his mercy
that I escaped accidents on occations when this happen, but that sure
made me lose all trust in Ford Explorers. These incidents started
happening when I had just bought it (second hand) it had 70,000km ==>
41,000 miles on it.
Any one can tell me if all Explorers are like that or something has to
be looked after in my car?
I live in Toronto, travel alot for buisness across Ontario, been in
many winter snow storms. I am a safe driver with a clean record, had a
Chevy Lumina (Front Wheel drive) before this Explorer, It was very
stable. I used to laugh at other drivers getting in trouble during
storms while I was smooth sailing on Icey roads.
If the stability issues I am having are related to tires, any
recommendations on type of Tyres? I was told to seek narrower tyres,
would that be a good advise?
I had this posted on Ford Explorer group, got some good feed back but
no one with similar problem, and reposting it here trying to see if I
find someone with similar model/experience and suggestions from people
with experience.
Thanks in Advance

Pete

Old December 15th 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It has been a year since I bought my 2001 Explorer Sport SUV, I like
> it. Yet,... winter has arrived again and my fear of driving it on snow
> is back! I am supposed to feel safe in this vehicle but I don't, It
> slides side-ways so easily when barely touching the gas pedal on wet
> snowy roads. Swiching it on 4X4 helps but does not make me feel safe as
> I am told how SUV's should be.
> "It is the tires" as a friend of mine suggested. The tyres on it are
> Good Year Wrangler RT/S P255/70 R16. Has 100,000km (59,000MI) the
> treads are not in bad shape.
> I started experiencing terrifying moments when on 2 wheel drive, it
> would not hesitate to spin both rear tyres when I start accelerating,
> sliding the rear end to one side or the other. Thank God for his mercy
> that I escaped accidents on occations when this happen, but that sure
> made me lose all trust in Ford Explorers. These incidents started
> happening when I had just bought it (second hand) it had 70,000km ==>
> 41,000 miles on it.
> Any one can tell me if all Explorers are like that or something has to
> be looked after in my car?
> I live in Toronto, travel alot for buisness across Ontario, been in
> many winter snow storms. I am a safe driver with a clean record, had a
> Chevy Lumina (Front Wheel drive) before this Explorer, It was very
> stable. I used to laugh at other drivers getting in trouble during
> storms while I was smooth sailing on Icey roads.
> If the stability issues I am having are related to tires, any
> recommendations on type of Tyres? I was told to seek narrower tyres,
> would that be a good advise?
> I had this posted on Ford Explorer group, got some good feed back but
> no one with similar problem, and reposting it here trying to see if I
> find someone with similar model/experience and suggestions from people
> with experience.
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Pete

I have Michelin LTX M/S on four trucks. My next tires will be the same.

I'm not sure about the Wranglers but are they an "agressive" tread? I have
had poor performance with gnarly-looking tires on ice and snow. And they
are a real PITA to put chains on.

If you are slipping and sliding when starting out try putting it in second
gear instead of D.

Old December 20th 05, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I'm sure new tires will help. I would also suggest taking your
Explorer out to an empty parking lot after it has snowed and tear it
up. Practice starting, stopping and slidding. Driving rear wheel drive
in the show is very different the front wheel drive. You need to get
comfortable with the way the car will react in the snow. I grew up in
upstate NY and learned to drive in the snow. I now live in VA where we
get very little snow. Every year it amazes me the number of 4x4's I
see stuck in the ditch. People seem to think that just because they
have 4 wheel drive, they won't slip and slide.

Old December 21st 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I think that 255 option might be too wide for snow ... maybe back off to the
stock 235 or even a 225 and a ice/snow tire. For what it's worth, I'm happy
with my new toyo ice/snow tires on my jeep.

Old December 24th 05, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

bent -frame/suspention-alienment/wheel-alienment/steel-studded snow
tires//

2oo5 deccer jm3 //no.CAL.