Beetle/bug Pickup project

Old April 20th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Default Beetle/bug Pickup project

Nice pickup build here
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26539
interesting how the 'cab' is full floorpan length, so keep the body
strength.

Old April 26th 13, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:00:25 UTC+12, tricky wrote:
> Hi all
>

> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>
> pickup for me to use for work.
>

> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>
> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>

> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>

> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>

> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>

> Thanks
>
> Rich
>

> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

Arrrgh! I can't find a picture of my "Fonzie" Beetle wagon. It was an awesome NZ designed and built fibreglass kit to go on the back of a beetle which had been choppedbehind the b pillar down to the bottom of the window, and cut straight out the back. It was awesome retro 80's with a spoiler on the back and a beetle engine in the rear. I could sit inside the and repair the engine. Awesome, as it stopped pretty often! There was louunge suit built innto the back to sit on, at the height of the dogbox in the rear of a beetle... HEAPS of legroom!

Go on, do it!

Allan.
Old April 27th 13, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 26/04/13 05:35, AllanW wrote:
> On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:00:25 UTC+12, tricky wrote:
>> Hi all
>>

>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>>
>> pickup for me to use for work.
>>

>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>>
>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>

>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>

>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>>
>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>

>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

> Arrrgh! I can't find a picture of my "Fonzie" Beetle wagon. It was an awesome NZ designed and built fibreglass kit to go on the back of a beetle which had been choppedbehind the b pillar down to the bottom of the window, and cut straight out the back. It was awesome retro 80's with a spoiler on the back and a beetle engine in the rear. I could sit inside the and repair the engine. Awesome, as it stopped pretty often! There was louunge suit built innto the back to sit on, at the height of the dogbox in the rear of a beetle... HEAPS of legroom!
>
> Go on, do it!
>
> Allan.

I can see I'm going to have to do two. A pickup, and a woody van

Old April 27th 13, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"tricky" wrote in message
o.uk...
> On 26/04/13 05:35, AllanW wrote:
>> On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:00:25 UTC+12, tricky wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>>> pickup for me to use for work.
>>>
>>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>>
>>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>>
>>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>>>
>>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>>
>>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>>>
>>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more
>>> useful

>> Arrrgh! I can't find a picture of my "Fonzie" Beetle wagon. It was an
>> awesome
>> NZ designed and built fibreglass kit to go on the back of a beetle which
>> had
>> been chopped behind the b pillar down to the bottom of the window, and
>> cut
>> straight out the back. It was awesome retro 80's with a spoiler on the
>> back
>> and a beetle engine in the rear. I could sit inside the and repair the
>> engine.
>> Awesome, as it stopped pretty often! There was louunge suit built innto
>> the
>> back to sit on, at the height of the dogbox in the rear of a beetle...
>> HEAPS
>> of legroom!
>>
>> Go on, do it!

> I can see I'm going to have to do two. A pickup, and a woody van

That's what you make the cap for the pick up bed look like.

- Bill

Old April 27th 13, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 27/04/13 12:08, Bill Leary wrote:
> "tricky" wrote in message
> o.uk...

>>> Arrrgh! I can't find a picture of my "Fonzie" Beetle wagon. It was an
>>> awesome
>>> NZ designed and built fibreglass kit to go on the back of a beetle
>>> which had
>>> been chopped behind the b pillar down to the bottom of the window,
>>> and cut
>>> straight out the back. It was awesome retro 80's with a spoiler on
>>> the back
>>> and a beetle engine in the rear. I could sit inside the and repair
>>> the engine.
>>> Awesome, as it stopped pretty often! There was louunge suit built
>>> innto the
>>> back to sit on, at the height of the dogbox in the rear of a
>>> beetle... HEAPS
>>> of legroom!
>>>
>>> Go on, do it!

>> I can see I'm going to have to do two. A pickup, and a woody van

> That's what you make the cap for the pick up bed look like.
>
> - Bill

Now that's a good idea
Old April 28th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

On 4/14/2013 9:00 AM, tricky wrote:
> Hi all
>
> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
> pickup for me to use for work.
>
> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>
> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>
> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>
> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Rich
>
> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

This was made in Finland a few years ago...

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/lav...?sort=3&page=5
Old April 29th 13, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 28/04/13 13:58, Jan Andersson wrote:
> On 4/14/2013 9:00 AM, tricky wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>> pickup for me to use for work.
>>
>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>
>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>
>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>
>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rich
>>
>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

> This was made in Finland a few years ago...
>
> http://s117.photobucket.com/user/lav...?sort=3&page=5

Hi Jan

Yes, I have that one in my bookmarks too, maybe even from you years ago !

Thanks
Old May 1st 13, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:00:25 UTC+12, tricky wrote:
> Hi all
>

> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>
> pickup for me to use for work.
>

> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>
> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>

> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>

> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>
> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>

> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>

> Thanks
>
> Rich
>

> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

HAHA! Found a piccie:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52223891@N03/6048951916/

It was actually proper bright yellow though, not washed out like in the pics 8-)

Allan.
Old May 1st 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 01/05/13 09:16, AllanW wrote:
> On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:00:25 UTC+12, tricky wrote:
>> Hi all
>>

>> for a while now, I have been toying with the idea of making a beetle
>>
>> pickup for me to use for work.
>>

>> It would be more or less a 'standard' pickup design, but with a roof
>>
>> rack capable of carrying full 8x4 sheets .
>>

>> It will probably take me a year (or more) to complete.
>>

>> Also thinking of using a type 3 engine/motor for more load space.
>>
>> Are these becoming too rare/hard to find for this to be a good idea ?
>>

>> Any links or ideas would be muchly appreciated
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> hmmm.... just thinking now, that a beetle/bug "van" might be more useful

> HAHA! Found a piccie:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/52223891@N03/6048951916/
>
> It was actually proper bright yellow though, not washed out like in the pics 8-)
>
> Allan.

Thanks Alan
I enjoyed looking through your photostream
A good reminder too, that you drive on the 'correct' side of the road ! LOL.
The Beetle Van is something completely different to anything I have seen
so far !

Richard
Old May 3rd 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Berckman

Wow! One post with 19 replies. Nice to see Ramva rockin again. I remember back in the late 70's seeing a Beetle pick-up conversion abandoned with no engine that would have been mine for the taking. Should have grabbed it then, but was driving a 73 Beetle at the time and still living at my parents house. A VW pickup in front of the house with no motor would not have gone over very well. I should have just taken it home and asked for forgivness later.