preheater troubles

Old November 26th 11, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default preheater troubles

basically a stock motor with an EMPI 3417 exhaust. preheater tubes are
connected, but does little work keeping the manifold warm. Most likely
from the less backpressure pushes little exhaust gases though now.

Is there such a thing as an electric heater blanket I can wrap the
manifold in or maybe an electric heated carb base gasket?

Old November 27th 11, 09:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Thermally insulating preheater tube to conserve the little heat you do have
wouldnt work?. Must be darn cold at your place!
John

Old November 27th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

They made a manifold heater.

Dont know if you can still get them though

http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/imdu.htm

Old November 27th 11, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Also, make sure the pre heat tubes a clean and not blocked.

some frayed steel wire (a bit of clutch cable ? ) in a drill, will help
clean them out.

Old November 28th 11, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> They made a manifold heater.
>
> Dont know if you can still get them though
>
> http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/imdu.htm

We had something like that in the frozen north of Minnesota, but it was
used in our underwear.

Back to earth - make sure your heat risers are clear. Sometimes it is
easier to buy new ones - the two piece models because you need not muck
with the alternator or generator interfering - and make sure your
muffler has the sucking tube by it. Some Mexican mufflers have it on the
wrong side!
Old November 29th 11, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 11/27/2011 09:48 AM, tricky wrote:
> They made a manifold heater.
>
> Dont know if you can still get them though
>
> http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/imdu.htm

Thanks for answering the question. Yeah, that's the blanket thing I
remember. It doesn't seem to be well accepted, nor available now
(anymore). Most folks seemed to have thought of it as a novelty 'cause
it didn't do much. I think I'll fab something with power resistors, JB
weld and a pulse-width driver with thermal feedback. I'm good with
electronics.

To everyone else, yes, the passage is clear. reread my first post where
I say I'm using an aftermarket exhaust.

https://www.mofoco.com/item_images/3417b.JPG

Old November 29th 11, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Ubiquitous 555, 3055???? Great project for a while!

Old November 29th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
davygrvy

On Nov 29, 12:25*am, "John" > wrote:
> Ubiquitous 555, 3055???? Great project for a while!
> * * * * * * * * * * John
>
> "David Gravereaux" > wrote in message

lol I know those numbers. ne555, 2n3055. Or more interestingly,
just use output transistor as the load, but delicate care required and
some funky adapter plate I have no idea how to fab. flat transistors
don't mount to a round pipe easy. I'm stuck pondering that. Shape it
in soft plastic as the mother for a mold to cast in aluminum? Or 3d
input the mother and have it CNC'd?
Old November 29th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I recently retired from medical electronics section in a hospital. I used to
have dozens of Heaters cables for Fisher and Paykel Humidfiers lying
around. These were essentially about 2 metres of heater cable that laid
inside in ventilator tubing to stop condensation. They were rated ~ 15 watts
and could run off 12 volts. ( I had a mate with a motorcycle who sewed a few
into his bike jacket and he ran that off bike= heated jacket!). I was
thinking wrap one or two of those around pipe below carby. Got any contacts
in the Biomedical section at your local hospitals? Generally the assemblies
failed at the plug end and heater itself was totally intact.

Old November 29th 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

PS- heater cable is insulated obviously, about 3-4 mm
diameter. Would just have to be wound on.

Alternator troubles... Psycho BMW 9 February 3rd 07 03:53 PM
94 S-10 troubles kyshorty_7 Technology 1 October 15th 06 08:12 AM
Engine troubles lanky Alfa Romeo 7 November 21st 05 03:31 PM
trans troubles kpt 4x4 1 September 25th 05 11:44 PM
Preheater box (pipe) azazel scratch VW air cooled 2 January 22nd 05 01:54 AM