A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Dodge
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

'96 Caravan blower issue



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 25th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned full
blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have something
to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
explanation. Any ideas?
  #5  
Old January 26th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,092
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

In article >,
"Larry Crites" > wrote:

> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>
> Larry


Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
Not what the OP described.
  #6  
Old January 26th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
daytripper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 292
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:44:42 -0600, aarcuda69062 >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Larry Crites" > wrote:
>
>> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>>
>> Larry

>
>Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
>Not what the OP described.


Think.

What Max is saying is the thing that can croak the resistor module is a
failing blower motor. For instance, if one of the armature windings is
shorted...
  #7  
Old January 26th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,092
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

In article >,
daytripper > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:44:42 -0600, aarcuda69062 >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Larry Crites" > wrote:
> >
> >> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
> >>
> >> Larry

> >
> >Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
> >Not what the OP described.

>
> Think.
>
> What Max is saying is the thing that can croak the resistor module is a
> failing blower motor. For instance, if one of the armature windings is
> shorted...


I don't think Max said that.

I do think the part number for that resistor has superseded
something like 6 times since it was introduced.

I think it's because they're **** to begin with.

I think that if there were a problem with shorted windings, the
switch would be the pattern failure (it's not)

I think I install about four of these a month.
  #8  
Old January 26th 08, 09:24 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Larry Crites
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 23
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

In my Intrepid, the blower worked on high only. Replaced the resistor and
got one day out of it. Blower worked on high only. Replaced blower motor
assembly and resistor and it's been working great ever since. Bearings were
going bad.

Larry

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
...
: In article >,
: "Larry Crites" > wrote:
:
: > And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
: >
: > Larry
:
: Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
: Not what the OP described.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #9  
Old January 27th 08, 01:53 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,092
Default '96 Caravan blower issue

In article >,
"Larry Crites" > wrote:

> In my Intrepid, the blower worked on high only. Replaced the resistor and
> got one day out of it. Blower worked on high only. Replaced blower motor
> assembly and resistor and it's been working great ever since. Bearings were
> going bad.
>
> Larry


I'll keep that in mind if a 96 Caravan ever morphs into an
Intrepid.
  #10  
Old January 25th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ripcord
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default '96 Caravan blower issue


> wrote in message
...
>I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned
> full
> blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have
> something
> to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> explanation. Any ideas?


It could be the damper door is not opening. When the blower is off the
damper will close. If you hear the blower and not getting any air it could
be the damper door electric motor.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'98 Gr Caravan Sport 3.3 // Blower Motor Resistor [email protected] Dodge 2 March 3rd 07 01:08 PM
Grand Caravan Blower replacement [email protected] Chrysler 1 February 2nd 07 11:58 AM
96 Caravan - Heater Blower only on high. Bill Chrysler 1 July 18th 05 07:08 PM
96 Caravan - Heater Blower only on high. Bill Chrysler 1 July 17th 05 11:47 PM
96 Caravan heater blower switch Morgan Perrry Chrysler 12 November 20th 04 11:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.