CJ Body lift question / Rear Disc Brake question / Bill H. ??????

Old January 31st 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Charles Ervin

Default CJ Body lift question / Rear Disc Brake question / Bill H. ??????

Hey Group,
I have a 84 CJ 7 (4.2, T-5, 31/10.50/15) that is very easy to highway @
70 mph. I'm wanting to do a 2 inch body lift ( as opposed to frame lift).
Other than Steering Column and Clutch linkage issues, is there anything else
I should be considering before doing this? Are there any stability /
suspension / steering / drivetrain issues I need to think about?
And while I have your attention... I'd like to put disc brakes on the
rear. Has anyone out there cobbled together a home version of rear disc
brakes with any success? I feel sure I can fabricate the Caliper brackets
and (since I run an auto Parts Store) believe that I can procure calipers
and rotors at a reasonable cost. If anyone has done this I'd like to find
out what the applications are for the calipers and rotors that you used.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Charles E.

Old February 1st 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rich

Charles,
Your going to have clearance issues with your fan and the shroud. Don't dump
the shroud, move it down the same amount you lift the body. Body lifts are
usually easy but depending on your particular Jeep, you may or may not have
wiring harness trouble. My 1" body lift was minimal enough to be very little
trouble. As far as stability goes, you lift it, you also raise your center
of balance. Everytime you corner or avoid something in the road, or brake
hard your Jeep will behave different than before. Is it dangerous? That
depends on the driver. I've been driving lifted CJ's for 20 years, I have
alot of experience with them and you have to drive with Center of Balance in
mind. You can't take the exit ramps off interstate whatever at 20mph over
the limit anymore. But offroad you've improved your capability. If that is
your goal, good. If not, I suggest you don't lift it. My opinion FWIW.

As far as the brakes, I recommend you go with a kit that is designed for it.
Think about this. When you shift from drum to disk brakes, you'll need to
change the master cylinder (rear claipers need bigger reservoirs than
drums), the proportioning valve, E-brake actuation will have to be modified,
and brackets need to be fab'd. I've heard of guys using lincoln rear
calipers on CJ's. if you insist on doing it be careful, it's your life
depending on those brakes. An easier way to decrease stopping distance and
power would be to add power brakes, much easier to do.

Rich Harris
1986 CJ7 4.0l head w/MOPAR MPFI, Tom Woods driveshaft, 4:10 w/Detroits F/R,
33" BFG MT's, Rubicon Express springs, ProComp MX6 shocks, revolver
shackles, and a couple more fun tricks.

Old February 1st 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Charles Ervin

Rich,
Thanks for the input.
I think I'm going to opt for the 1" lift. I have no fan shroud so that
shouldn't be an issue.
The center of gravity thing I will consider. Think I'll lift one side and
see what it looks like before I commit to do doing it.
Brakes.. I have power brakes now but you raise some excellent points. I
think you may be right and I should probably buy a kit that addresses all
those issues.
Thanks again
Charles

Old February 1st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Hi Charles,
Might peruse the bone yards for a Javelin that may have disks on the
back, that would give you brackets and parking brake for legality, but you
probably have to drill a new lug pattern in their rotors. I second the kit:
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/det...CJ-7&year=1984
I prefer eleven inch drums.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 1st 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rich

Hi Bill,
Good to see you're still about.

Old February 1st 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Charles,

One inch won't change your center of gravity enough to be substantial.
Once you do one side, you'll be committed because most of the bolts will
have been broken off, unless you are lucky enough to live in the southwest
US where rust isn't an issue. A body lift is no huge project untill bolts
start breaking, then it becomes a PITA. Hit 'em with PB blaster every day
for a week or so and that will help.

At 1" , the hoses, wiring, steering, and shifting linkage isn't an issue.
You will see a gap between the grille and bumper/frame in the front, and the
tub/tailgate in the back, but again, at 1" this isn't too bad. At 2 or 3",
it nearly makes me cry it is so damn ugly.

Carl

Old February 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Hi Rich,
Yup, most have kill filed me, though.
You take care, sounds like you be going back pretty soon.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 1st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rich

Nope, Retire in October, I'm going fishing, on top of a mountain somewhere!

Old February 1st 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Good luck, Richard.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 1st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Just be aware that a body lift on a CJ can be a 'big' job depending on
how close to the rust belt your Jeep has been. On my Canadian driven
CJ7, not one body mount bolt came out. They all either spun the hidden
weld nut or snapped off. Only one fender bolt came out in one piece
when I stripped the tub.

You also will have issues with the gas filler hoses. You can cut these
and put a copper pipe in the middle as an extension. One big one for
fill and one small for fill vent. If you just bend and stretch the
hose, it will likely crack at the bend...

I don't know that I would 'want' disk brakes on the back of such a short
vehicle. As it is, the rear drum brakes have to use a
combination/proportioning valve so they don't lock up when you hit the
brakes hard. When rear brakes lock up on something so short, you do
360's faster than you can blink.

I think dialing in the proper combination/proportioning valve for the
new type of brakes would be a major undertaking.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's