AOD problems....

Old January 2nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Aphel Aura

Default AOD problems....

Hi, I thought I'd throw it out here before committing to any costly
repairs (i.e. tranny rebuild, ouch).... I also did a search in this
group but don't really know if what I found really applies to me.

Lately, the AOD on my 89' Mustang LX has been slipping into neutral at
low-speeds, especially when entering or starting out from a complete
stop. I called a reputable tranny shop, and they said that a complete
rebuild was necessary, and would cost between $1200-1400 CDN. Is there
a less costly solution out there?

Thanks,
-Phil

Old January 3rd 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Aphel Aura" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I thought I'd throw it out here before committing to any costly
> repairs (i.e. tranny rebuild, ouch).... I also did a search in this
> group but don't really know if what I found really applies to me.
>
> Lately, the AOD on my 89' Mustang LX has been slipping into neutral at
> low-speeds, especially when entering or starting out from a complete
> stop. I called a reputable tranny shop, and they said that a complete
> rebuild was necessary, and would cost between $1200-1400 CDN. Is there
> a less costly solution out there?
>
> Thanks,
> -Phil

Here's a US$1500 solution.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=43

dwight

Old January 4th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimmy[_1_]

First...don't drive it until you check this!

My fix when this happened to me was real cheap. The TV cable from Ford
Cost 54 bucks. Still haven't installed it (I did buy it though), But it
was the clip that failed.

The TV cable is connected to the throttle body. There is a cheap clip
there that fails. If the clip fails, the TV cable breaks loose from the
throttle body. Gravity naturally pulls it away and it just hangs there.
Look underneath the throttle body and see if there's a loose cable
first. Mine has been tied with tie wraps for over a year..works fine
but I do intend to replace the whole setup. The clip is notorious for
failing there on AOD transmissions.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Jimmy

Old January 7th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gary Vitagliano

These trannies suck stock. I have had mide doe every 50,000 or so. The
first time the shop added more clutch plates but 10,000 miles later I
blew the planetary. Spend extra for improved parts. Also add cooler and
shift kit.

Old January 7th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jimmy[_1_]

Mine has been running fine, abused by me all its life on the same
tranny fluid and filter no less since March of 1991. (83541.8 miles
now...just checked)

I've had mine since day one, drove it today (as I mentioned above WITH
my fix on the TV cable to the throttle body) and had a fantastic day.
I've added NOTHING to it in 16 years and it runs fine.

To the OP...check what I told you to check FIRST. Save your bucks for
some other mods or a 5 speed swap perhaps.