Disk Imaging Software

Old April 17th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Disk Imaging Software

As I often install and uninstall games, apps, drivers, etc., my
computers gets a bit sloppy in performance. I am anticipating a full
format and reinstall of XP, plus all my racing sims, sometime in the
coming weeks.

My goal this time is to format, then reinstall everything to a "basic"
level (NR2003 plus 1.1 patch, plus BGN, CTS, PTA, IROC, plus the JJ
Johnston/Superspeedway.net updates, as an example) and then do a hard
drive image or clone which will allow me to more easily "fall back" to
the pristine condition that I have right after the format.

Is there a recommendation for the software to do this? Norton Ghost 10
and True Image 9.0 seem to the be most frequently mentioned titles. Any
upside/downside to these programs that anyone wants to comment on?

Thanks.

Old April 17th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus wrote:
> As I often install and uninstall games, apps, drivers, etc., my
> computers gets a bit sloppy in performance. I am anticipating a full
> format and reinstall of XP, plus all my racing sims, sometime in the
> coming weeks.
>
> My goal this time is to format, then reinstall everything to a "basic"
> level (NR2003 plus 1.1 patch, plus BGN, CTS, PTA, IROC, plus the JJ
> Johnston/Superspeedway.net updates, as an example) and then do a hard
> drive image or clone which will allow me to more easily "fall back" to
> the pristine condition that I have right after the format.
>
> Is there a recommendation for the software to do this? Norton Ghost 10
> and True Image 9.0 seem to the be most frequently mentioned titles.
> Any upside/downside to these programs that anyone wants to comment on?
>
> Thanks.

I have used Powerquest's Drive Image 7 for some time, with great success. I
image to an external usb2.0 hard drive.
PQ has since been bought out, by Norton I believe.

I have heard good things about both programs you mention, and you would
probably be satisfied with either one. Both will allow you to image, both
will also allow you to restore either individual files and folders or the
complete image.
I personally don't care for Norton's software anymore, for things such as
anti-virus or system cleaners, but I believe Ghost by itself is a good
program.

I have heard very good things about the True Image software. If I were
purchasing a disc imaging program today, I believe that is the one I would
go with.

--
Don Burnette

Old April 17th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Darus wrote:
> As I often install and uninstall games, apps, drivers, etc., my
> computers gets a bit sloppy in performance. I am anticipating a full
> format and reinstall of XP, plus all my racing sims, sometime in the
> coming weeks.
>
> My goal this time is to format, then reinstall everything to a "basic"
> level (NR2003 plus 1.1 patch, plus BGN, CTS, PTA, IROC, plus the JJ
> Johnston/Superspeedway.net updates, as an example) and then do a hard
> drive image or clone which will allow me to more easily "fall back" to
> the pristine condition that I have right after the format.
>
> Is there a recommendation for the software to do this? Norton Ghost 10
> and True Image 9.0 seem to the be most frequently mentioned titles. Any
> upside/downside to these programs that anyone wants to comment on?
>
> Thanks.

I use a combination of backup-up solutions. I use Genie Soft Backup-Up
Manager Pro to run regular backup routines, and I have Acronis True
Image 8.0 to make images and it works great.

Scott

--
Scott B. Husted
http://www.Husted.cc
Old April 17th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Hi,

I'm using Drive Backup (though it wasn't mentioned)
http://www.drive-backup.com/home/personal/
I was attracted by nice price and good functionality, and now it works
for me well I was very pleased with support, their nice guys helped
me a lot.

Ah, forgot to menton - I was very impressed by Drive Backup's bootable
CD. You can use it to restore your machine in case of Windows' death.
Contrary to my expectations, this CD has intuitive interface and is
easy to use.

Hope my information can help you.

Cheers,
Queen.

Old April 17th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thanks! Hadn't heard of the product beforee. Seems quite good.
Something more to consider.

Old April 17th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I used to use DriveImage, but it went into the crapper after version 2002.
Then symantec bought PowerQuest and as far as I know, it was a buy & Shelve
purchase because I've not seen any updates in a few years.

I now use Acronis TrueImage.

Not a big fan of Ghost.

-Larry

oups.com...

Old April 17th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

DriveImage 7 isn't true imaging software any more. The last version that
was pure, true imaging software was V2002, which was the last version prior
to version 7.

Version 7 is more backup management software. It images, but not in the
sense that V2002 did. Luckily V7 comes with V2002 in the box for this
purpose.

Also be aware, Version 7 has a heavy-handed Product Activation system built
into it.

-Larry

Old April 17th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article .com>,
says...
> As I often install and uninstall games, apps, drivers, etc., my
> computers gets a bit sloppy in performance. I am anticipating a full
> format and reinstall of XP, plus all my racing sims, sometime in the
> coming weeks.
>
> My goal this time is to format, then reinstall everything to a "basic"
> level (NR2003 plus 1.1 patch, plus BGN, CTS, PTA, IROC, plus the JJ
> Johnston/Superspeedway.net updates, as an example) and then do a hard
> drive image or clone which will allow me to more easily "fall back" to
> the pristine condition that I have right after the format.
>
> Is there a recommendation for the software to do this? Norton Ghost 10
> and True Image 9.0 seem to the be most frequently mentioned titles. Any
> upside/downside to these programs that anyone wants to comment on?
>
> Thanks.

I know people are mentioning good things about True Image, but I
wondered if anyone here had actually managed to re-install from an image
that was created of an O/S that was running at the time. What I mean
is, I have a copy of True Image 8.0 and have a dual boot system which
has meant that, prior to version 8 I had always created the image of one
O/S whilst running from the other one because the imaging software just
wouldn't let me do it any other way.

So V8 doesn't have this problem, and so I tried creating an image of XP
whilst running XP and everything went ok. However, when I came to
restore said image when I changed my HD it installed but failed to run,
stopping at the XP Welcome screen and, despite even trying a repair
install over the top, eventually I had to restore from one of my
previous backups that was created through the old method.

So, anyone actually managed to do this without issue using any Version
of True Image?

--
Pete Ives

AWA [OFFER] CUMMINS INSITE 6.3A DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE AND CODES [email protected] General 0 January 15th 06 10:51 PM
VAG-COM - CORRECT SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS RickT Audi 3 September 8th 05 08:02 PM
New Jetta rear disk backplate Gilles VW water cooled 3 September 5th 05 04:19 PM
OBD-II Software mick Alfa Romeo 11 November 13th 04 12:57 PM
BMW CARSOFT DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE BestAutoScientist BMW 0 November 8th 04 08:02 PM