"Anti-Rattle" Springs

Old January 4th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default "Anti-Rattle" Springs

Just installed new calipers, pads, rotors on my 90 Jetta GL. The pads
came with "anti-rattle" springs (little strips of brass with bent tabs
on them). I'm fairly new to VW's, and I've never seen this things
before. Seems simple enough, but where the heck to they go?!?

I'd like to intall them, since my pads do rattle when going over RR
tracks, etc. without my foot on brake. Can anyone explain to me where
they go - or better yet, email a diagram or photo? Thanks!!

Old January 5th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hi,
Good timing for your question. I inspected my brakes tonight as they
are running hot. I took the opportunity to take some pictures.I'll
email them to you privately.

For a textual description: The ends of each brake pad have slots. These
slots straddle the brake pad carrier on the brake caliper body. As the
pads and rotor wear, the brake pads can slide inwards. The brass strips
sit on the carriers and put a bit of pressure on the brake pads so they
can't rattle. The pads also slide along the brass strips as the pads
and rotor wear.

The brass strips go on the front of the carrier (facing forward).
You'll notice the brasss strips are not identical. The one that goes on
the top brake pad carrier will have the tab inboard of centre and
facing downwards. The one that goes on the bottom has the tab also
inboard of centre with the tab facing upwards. The ends of the
anti-rattle springs wrap/fit around the ends of the brake pad carrier.
When the caliper body is put back on, the little tabs rest against the
caliper body. For clarity, the long dimension of the brass strips is
horizontal when installed and the flat surface is vertical. The way the
ends of the springs are bent, and if you remember the tab on the top
faces downwards and the tab on the bottom faces upwards, the brass
strips can only go on one way. Ah, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old January 5th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Scooter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just installed new calipers, pads, rotors on my 90 Jetta GL. The pads
> came with "anti-rattle" springs (little strips of brass with bent tabs
> on them). I'm fairly new to VW's, and I've never seen this things
> before. Seems simple enough, but where the heck to they go?!?
>
> I'd like to intall them, since my pads do rattle when going over RR
> tracks, etc. without my foot on brake. Can anyone explain to me where
> they go - or better yet, email a diagram or photo? Thanks!!

I've seen these on many cars before. And yes they'll solve your problem.
Shoulda had them all along but they either weren't installed at some point
or were installed wrong and fell off.

Old January 6th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Doesn't look like my pictures made it to you. I'm getting this error
message:

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

(I used your full email address, just disguised
it here)

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failu
TEMP_FAILU SMTP Error (state 9): 450 sorry, mailbox currently
unavailable (#4.2.1)

Old January 6th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Could be that the file size for your pictures are just too large for
emailing. Generally, as email attachments, they should total less than 1 MB.
If that is the problem, do a "RESIZE PICTURES" of each photo to get each of
the photos down into the 30 to 80 KB range. The pictures will look just as
good, and you will be able to send a bunch of them in a single email without
reaching the 1 MB limit..

The "RESIZE PICTURES" function is available under Windows XP. Just go to the
folder where the picture is stored, right click on a picture, then click the
"RESIZE PICTURES" and choose "medium" or "small". Your old {large file)
picture will not be altered, but a new copy of the picture will be created
and will contain the word "medium" or "small" in the file name. Those
pictures will be a heck of a lot smaller in file size, appropriate for
emailing as attachments.

If this is not the problem, maybe my post will help someone else -
hopefully.

Regards.

Old January 6th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Thanks for the tip. Checked the image file sizes, they're 61 and 74 kb
in size. Seems the original poster's mail box doesn't exist. Oh well.
-Tony