98 Saturn SL2 Problems

Old August 5th 04, 02:37 PM
Bob Shuman

Default 98 Saturn SL2 Problems

Use an aerosol can of a good throttle body cleaner (as opposed to carburetor
cleaner) as this is what it is intended for and based on my first hand
experience does a much better job!

Bob

"RKHenry" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> > When I was researching my problem I also ran across a note about a

buildup
> of deposits in the throttle body causing some of those problems. Carbon
> deposits build up a little ridge behind the throttle valve and the
> disruption of airflow allegedly makes it act funny at low throttle

openings.

Old August 5th 04, 06:57 PM
richard hornsby

This is a long shot, and not to question your husband's ability to
change the spark plugs, but:

- Was the gap set properly with the proper tool?
- What about the resistance of the plug wires?

and wire resistance should be. Many people have mentioned that they
have found one of the wires in a new set to be bad. Granted, this
doesn't explain the racing, but it could explain the engine misfiring.

Like others have said, unless you have strong evidence that there is
another problem, I would work with the plugs and wires since those
appear to have precipitated these issues until you're sure you've
eliminated those two things as the culprits. Did you purchase some kind
of special plugs or wires? Did the mechanic(s) you took the car to
check the plugs and wires?

-rj
98SL2