2nd copy of car keys and fob?

Old July 23rd 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default 2nd copy of car keys and fob?

How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
in town?

When you go out of town?

Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.
Old July 23rd 17, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>in town?
>
>When you go out of town?
>

>Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
>stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
>yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
>thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
>are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

Never carry a dupe. If travelling with my wife, she has a second key.
Trusted neighboer has key to the house to get spare key if required.

Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
keys in, the code opens the door.
The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
a flashlight
Old July 23rd 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:03:13 -0400, Ralph Mowery
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 20:48:59 -0400, micky >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>> >in town?
>> >
>> >When you go out of town?

>> Don't need a fob - but the car has keyless entry so IF we lock the
>> keys in, the code opens the door.
>> The truck is a different story. No electric locks.
>> The only time I've locked the keys in the truck other than on my
>> driveway at home (second key redilly available) I luckily left the cab
>> back widow unlatched and was able to get in by unbolting the cap from
>> the box and reaching in through that back window. Luckily I had tools
>> in the back of the truck. Midnight, miles from nowhere - sell phone as
>> a flashlight

>I think it is impossiable to lock the keys in the car I have. To lock
>it (you have to have the FOB near the car) just touch a spot on the door
>handle. To open, just grab the handle. Trunk the same way to unlock
>it,just press a button o the trunk. The fob has a key in it,but it is
>sort of an electronic key so difficult to duplicate even if I wanted to.

Well, I've got a 2004 Chrysler car and even for my previous 2000, it was
expensive to make dupes. The price has gone down a lot and finding them
has gotten much easier.. It was $16 for 2 keys, and $6 apiece to cut
them. I asked about programming then and he said "It's expensive. $30
apiece" but with the directions it was free.

The fobs were $11 a piece, also free to program.

Only took me about 3 tries with each. If they want to test old codgers
for mental ability (before selling them long term care insurance) making
them program their key or their fob would be a great test.

The time to do this was now, because you have to have 2 keys and one
good fob to make these copies yourself and that's exactly what the car
came with**. If I lost anything, I'd have to use the locksmith. **Plus
one key w/o a chip.

I haven't lost my keys much, but anything is too much if I'm not
prepared. Once when I was changing clothes to go tubing, I left them in
my pants and locked them in the trunk. At the end of the day, I had to
get a ride home and back, 30 or 40 miles total.

Another time when I was 100 miles from home, I dropped a set in my trunk
and couldn't find them. I had spare car keys but had to call a friend
to leave my house key at my house (because I'd failed to replace the one
that is supposed to be buried) I don't get it but I never did find the
set I dropped in the trunk!

Old July 23rd 17, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:
> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
> in town?
>
> When you go out of town?
>
> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

My car has a keyed door lock and no ignition rfid or resistor so I had a
key made for $1 and wired it up under the car. Yah, I have gotten dirty
crawling under the car to find and unwire the key but it is in a safe place.

Old July 24th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:09:37 -0500, Paul in Houston
TX > wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> How many of you carry a 2nd copy of your car keys and fob, when you're
>> in town?
>>
>> When you go out of town?
>>
>> Before I had a fob, I carried a second car key for 10 or 20 years, but I
>> stopped a while ago. I have a spare housekey and carkey buried in my
>> yard somewhere, but I've never trusted magnetic keyholders for cars. I
>> thought either it would fall off or someone would find it, since there
>> are so few good places to put it. So I carried the dupe in my pocket.

>My car has a keyed door lock and no ignition rfid or resistor so I had a
>key made for $1 and wired it up under the car.

That's a good idea too.

> Yah, I have gotten dirty

I'm already dirty.

Old July 24th 17, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mike_Duffy

On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:09:37 -0500, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> [...] the key but it is in a safe place.

After my Dad first locked himself out of his '69 Pontiac, he always put a
spare set in the air breather outside of the air filter. (In those days,
one did not need to release the hood from inside the car.)

Things went okay until my brother locked himself out of the car one day,
and used the spare set, but by mistake put it back in the air breather
inside of the air filter.

A few weeks later, my Dad was driving the whole family on a sinuous gravel
road, and an impatient lead-foot in a pickup truck was tailing us way too
close because we were going too slow for him I guess. When we got to the
next fairly long strait stretch, my Dad slowed down and pulled to the right
to let him go by. But instead of just pulling to the left and advancing
ahead of us in a reasonable manner, the pickup gunned it, presumably to
make us eat more of his dust than necessary and shower our windshield with
a few pounds of road gravel.

I'm not sure of the exact displacement of our Pontiac, (389""" IIRC), but
it did have a 4-barrel V-8. And there was still enough room on the
straitaway for my Dad to go by the pickup truck and shower him with a few
pounds of road gravel.

However, flooring the gas pedal had the effect of causing the spare keys to
fall into the open throttle, effectively blocking it wide open. My Dad had
the time to *try* to lift up the linkage rod under the pedal (to no avail),
but with the straightaway coming to an end had to start controlling the
engine power by turning the ignition off and on repeatedly. Of course, he
could have simply turned it off completely, but he did not want to 'lose
face' with the stranger driving the pickup truck.

Every time he turned the ignition 'on', there was a huge flaming explosion
as the unburned fuel-air mix was ignited, until we were far enough ahead of
the pickup and luckily had reached the place where the new road made a
sharp turn, but the old road leading nowhere was still passable.

In case little kids might be reading this, I won't repeat here what was
said to my brother when my Dad found the cause of the carburator
malfunction.
Old July 24th 17, 07:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 00:10:44 -0400, Mike_Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 23:09:37 -0500, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>
>> [...] the key but it is in a safe place.

>After my Dad first locked himself out of his '69 Pontiac, he always put a
>spare set in the air breather outside of the air filter. (In those days,
>one did not need to release the hood from inside the car.)

I remember.

>Things went okay until my brother locked himself out of the car one day,
>and used the spare set, but by mistake put it back in the air breather
>inside of the air filter.
>
>A few weeks later, my Dad was driving the whole family on a sinuous gravel
>road, and an impatient lead-foot in a pickup truck was tailing us way too
>close because we were going too slow for him I guess. When we got to the
>next fairly long strait stretch, my Dad slowed down and pulled to the right
>to let him go by. But instead of just pulling to the left and advancing
>ahead of us in a reasonable manner, the pickup gunned it, presumably to
>make us eat more of his dust than necessary and shower our windshield with
>a few pounds of road gravel.
>
>I'm not sure of the exact displacement of our Pontiac, (389""" IIRC), but
>it did have a 4-barrel V-8.

I only had one of those, a '58 Ford... well it was my mother's and the
salesman told her it was used by the state police.

> And there was still enough room on the
>straitaway for my Dad to go by the pickup truck and shower him with a few
>pounds of road gravel.
>
>However, flooring the gas pedal had the effect of causing the spare keys to
>fall into the open throttle, effectively blocking it wide open. My Dad had
>the time to *try* to lift up the linkage rod under the pedal (to no avail),
>but with the straightaway coming to an end had to start controlling the
>engine power by turning the ignition off and on repeatedly. Of course, he
>could have simply turned it off completely, but he did not want to 'lose
>face' with the stranger driving the pickup truck.

ROTFLWTIME

>Every time he turned the ignition 'on', there was a huge flaming explosion
>as the unburned fuel-air mix was ignited, until we were far enough ahead of
>the pickup and luckily had reached the place where the new road made a
>sharp turn, but the old road leading nowhere was still passable.
>
>In case little kids might be reading this, I won't repeat here what was
>said to my brother when my Dad found the cause of the carburator
>malfunction.

So after you stopped the car, I presume you could get the keys out and
it was normal again?
Old July 24th 17, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mike_Duffy

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:58:42 -0400, micky wrote:

> So after you stopped the car, I presume you could get the keys out and
> it was normal again?

Yes. Normal except my Mom didn't speak to my Dad the rest of the way home.
I suppose that for her, the safety of the kids was more important than a
masculine expression of roadway etiquette. Us kids were not worried,
because that was was the first car we had with seat belts, and we always
buckled-up, even on twisty low-speed gravel.

A week later, you could still see black patches where the explosions had
blown away the loose gravel from the hardpacked sections.
Old July 25th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:09:24 -0400, Mike_Duffy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 02:58:42 -0400, micky wrote:
>
>> So after you stopped the car, I presume you could get the keys out and
>> it was normal again?

>Yes. Normal except my Mom didn't speak to my Dad the rest of the way home.
>I suppose that for her, the safety of the kids was more important than a
>masculine expression of roadway etiquette. Us kids were not worried,
>because that was was the first car we had with seat belts, and we always
>buckled-up, even on twisty low-speed gravel.
>
>A week later, you could still see black patches where the explosions had
>blown away the loose gravel from the hardpacked sections.

Laughing again.

Where to get T Top Keys?? 84_mustang_5.0 Ford Mustang 0 April 27th 07 08:37 AM
keys Wagoneer Loyalist Jeep 18 April 14th 07 11:34 PM
Does anyone here actually prefer remote keys versus the old-fashioned keys? Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 67 November 3rd 06 03:06 PM
Keys Pete Audi 13 August 9th 05 11:05 AM
gtr hot keys Brendan Hoefs Simulators 0 July 24th 05 01:26 AM