So-called "revival" of simracing : blah!

Old October 11th 05, 12:57 PM
F1ST

"Dave" > wrote in message

> "Andre Warringa" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:29:24 -0400, "ymenard"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My pick : the last one.

>> How about the racing sims on consoles getting more and more serious?
>> GT4, RBR and Enthusia are a big step in the right direction.
>> For some reason I never liked GTR, too much bugs and after F1C (which
>> I loved) I really got tired of having to tweak numerous .ini files to
>> fix all the bugs. After that it's really a delight to put a dvd in the
>> ps2 and just race..
>>

> Maybe for you......I will never use the PS2 for anything, it's a toy for
> my kids.

Now theres logic, ... "I won't use it because it doesn't say 'built for
daddies too'............."

Old October 11th 05, 01:25 PM
Andre Warringa

>Maybe for you......I will never use the PS2 for anything, it's a toy for my kids.

I never thought much about consoles too, untill two years ago I bought
the PS2, mostly because of the Final Fantasy games, and because
pc-gaming was dying rapidly. After that I discovered the fun of not
having to tweak for hours to get a game running smoothly, and sitting
on the couch instead of behind a desk.
Also imho games on consoles have much more quality too, cleary much
more time and money goes into the making of console-games.

I think the sim-racing world would be in awe if something like
Enthusia or GT4 would be released for the PC, unfortunately consoles
still have the name of being for kids only, hence a lot if people are
missing out on some superb sims.

Have you ever tried Enthusia by the way? Rent it, hook up your Momo to
your PS2 and you'll experience what I'm talking about

Andre
Old October 11th 05, 02:21 PM
PlowBoy

It will never be like it was YM, your finally getting older and see what us
40 year olds been saying for 20 years, "Aint nuttin like what we
usedta-could"

It is a crying shame, when Papy-sierra servers go poof, that is going to be
the end of an era. Next gen consoles, will finnish off PC games, I'm bettin
you. Sickening as I get older to realize (more than I did) that my lower
end (cheaper) video-card cost about double what the goddam consoles sell
for...

ymenard enlightened us with:

Old October 11th 05, 02:34 PM
Michael Sisson

In article >, s_h_b_1970
@hotmail.com says...
> Jeff Reid wrote:
>

> > LFS - an unusually loyal fan base. Haven't played online in quite a while
> > so I can't state how many players are actively online.

> A bunch of ******s who run around slagging off other sims over on RSC.

The same could be said (the 'slagging' not the '******s' part) of the
rFactor section. Or the GPL section. Or the NR2003 section... etc.

RSC is an inbred (I'M NOT CALLING THEM INBRED REDNECKS) fed community.
Actual discussion of the merits and flaws of opposing sims seems to be
discouraged (by each sub-forums community - not the moderators as such.)

My hat is in with LFS. I *like* the totally closed-off-locked-up system.
I'm not comfortable with Joe Blow, that has driven his aunts Corsica
around Walmart parking lot at 4am on a Sunday, messing with ini
'values' because he 'knows how a car should handle' (slight exaggeration
). I like that the 3 programmers keep a tight rein on their 'baby'
and seem to be trying to produce the most accurate physics that they
can. Sure, it isn't there yet but it seem like it will get there sooner
than later.

LFS has some very nice tracks too. Aston and Westhill are a joy to
drive. A lot of very nice corners and corner combinations.

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
Old October 11th 05, 06:41 PM
FooAtari

"Dave" > Got on
his soap box and said:

> Maybe for you......I will never use the PS2 for anything, it's a toy
> for my kids.

You might want to take a look at yourself and ask who the kid is...

Although out of all my consoles the PS2 as at the bottom of the list in
terms of how much it is played and how much I like it. But it does have
RBR and GT4 with FFB.

--
My Games Collection: http://www.fooatari.plus.com/
Games Blog- http://foosgaming.blogspot.com
Old October 11th 05, 09:30 PM
Mitch_A

Never say never.

Today the consoles arent an option for me either. Someday that may not be
the case though. When a console can run high res with all the accessories I
can use now (wheels, sticks etc) I'd actually much prefer $3-400 for a
console vs $1000-2000 for a high end PC. Today isnt the day though

Mitch

Old October 11th 05, 09:46 PM
Gil

Gotta differ with you guys about N2003 - whether you race
superspeedways (as I do) or any other type of track, there are plenty
of regular, consistent race series going on all the time. Just gotta
hook up with the right people - and show them what you can do on the
track.

As far as superspeedways not requiring any driving skill, tell that to
the 8/10 and 9/10 racers out there. They will slice and dice you at
their leisure. People don't get the higher ratings without putting real
time in finding how to handle the car in the low and high lines. Maybe
it's not a skill you wish to acquire, but it is DEFINATELY a skill.

Old October 11th 05, 11:18 PM
Jeff Reid

> As far as superspeedways not requiring any driving skill,

Never having raced superspeedways before, I had my first win
on my second online session. I don't think this could happen
with any other racing sim, or with the road courses in NR2003.
It would take a lot longer than just two sessions to run
1:14's at Watkins Glen, the time that most fast players run at.

> As far as superspeedways not requiring any driving skill, tell that to
> the 8/10 and 9/10 racers out there.

The only driving skill I see is during qualification and pitting.
Just need to qualify near the front to be able to avoid wrecks and win.
Most of the 8/10 and 9/10 players work with a group or team, and
this is very difficult to beat as an individual. The team or group
work together in pitting and getting back into a draft after pitting,
which is the key factor for winning a race (and wreck avoidance).

In order to get a rating of 7 or 8, the main thing is to race in
a large field (30+ players), and finish in the top 7 or so. Getting
to a 6 on an open server isn't that difficult (takes me two nights).
Getting to a 7 or 8 is best done on an FLMS server with a minimum of 6
rating. FLMS also has a minimum 7 rating server, but it's not
very popular anymore since they added a 6 server also.

Regarding the inside versus outside line, the standard speedway
tracks favor the inside line. Only a cooperating group or team
can make the outside line work.