1991 Corvette Audio System

Old May 15th 05, 05:56 PM
John via CarKB.com

Default 1991 Corvette Audio System

I've got a 1991 Corvette Convertible with the delco-bose audio system.
When it worked it sounded good. Now my front speakers need to be rebuilt.
The rear speakers probable would be next.

My question is: Should I repair the existing audio system - - - or replace
the system with a more advanced one? If replacement is better - - - with
what? I whant a clear system with great bass.
Old August 23rd 05, 02:36 AM
LRCR

I have the same Bose system. Your right, when it work, it sounds
great. Unfortunately, out of the 4 speakers, 1 is still working. I
am a electronic designer and judge this design great in audio, but bad
automotive audio electronic design. Whoever design the AMP for the
speaker cared only the audio circuit, but ignored the temp and voltage
environment of the system in an auto. The designer obviously has
every little production experience and Bose will not recall such
errors made by their designer. Shame on you, Bose. It seem they got
their act together in figure out their mistake, but you have to pay
for it. Just like Microsoft's WIN95 to WIN98. But I am not finish,
yet. My CDs kept poping out of the player until after a year, the
player would no longer accept any CD. I had to get the head unit
replaced for $350.00. You maybe looking for a new player in the
future. I am not the only one with these problems. On my research
over the Web, many had similar situation. From my research, it
seems that it better to trash the whole Bose, and buy a pioneer
replacement. Remember, '91 and possibily '92 are "dog years for any
car that has the BOSE audio system". Unfortunately, I am stuck with
this headache. I hope this helps.

Ceasar

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:56:58 GMT, "John via CarKB.com"

Old August 29th 05, 05:50 PM
The Reverend Natural Light

Every component of the original Bose system of my '91 has been rebuilt
by the previous owner at great expense. It may have been a good system
at the time, but the sound is awful by today's standards. If anything
breaks then it's all being replaced with aftermarket components.

Old August 29th 05, 05:59 PM
Charlie Funk

>If anything breaks then it's all being replaced with aftermarket components

If you find a radio/CD player that fits the '91 dash, please let me know how
I can get one. Unless one is prepared to tackle a SERIOUS rewiring job, it
will have to either plug into or adapt to the wiring harness in the car.

I agree with the comments about the system quality. That said, even after
replacing all the speakers and amps, my system never returned to the quality
level that I remembered.

Charlie

oups.com...

Old August 30th 05, 07:53 PM
The Reverend Natural Light

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the DIN sized aftermarket radio
physically fits the hole in the dashboard. There are mounting kits
around if I read correctly on corvetteforum.

As for the wiring, attempting to directly connect the new head unit to
the factory amplifiers sounds nearly impossible. I'd just remove all
the original components and run new wiring to support aftermarket
speakers and an amplifier. The only headache I can think of is the
antenna wire that ends somewhere under the passenger side dashboard.

Old August 30th 05, 09:16 PM
PJ

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
> It shouldn't be a problem as long as the DIN sized aftermarket radio
> physically fits the hole in the dashboard. There are mounting kits
> around if I read correctly on corvetteforum.
>
> As for the wiring, attempting to directly connect the new head unit to
> the factory amplifiers sounds nearly impossible. I'd just remove all
> the original components and run new wiring to support aftermarket
> speakers and an amplifier. The only headache I can think of is the
> antenna wire that ends somewhere under the passenger side dashboard.

Yes.

The shielded wiring between the Bose components wasn't designed to
handle the power (current) for any adequate speaker system. Starting
from "scratch" is a pretty good idea.
Old August 30th 05, 10:47 PM
CardsFan

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It shouldn't be a problem as long as the DIN sized aftermarket radio
> physically fits the hole in the dashboard. There are mounting kits
> around if I read correctly on corvetteforum.
>
> As for the wiring, attempting to directly connect the new head unit to
> the factory amplifiers sounds nearly impossible. I'd just remove all
> the original components and run new wiring to support aftermarket
> speakers and an amplifier. The only headache I can think of is the
> antenna wire that ends somewhere under the passenger side dashboard.

Yep. Rewire the whole thing.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp