California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

Old September 7th 07, 12:21 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
Timberwoof

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & Written Tests

In article
Timberwoof > wrote:

> Hah. They forbid you practicing the test on their course.

Hah. They don't, after all, based on what others have written.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com>
faq: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml
Old September 7th 07, 01:26 AM posted to ba.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.photo.digital,rec.autos.tech
sqidbait

On Sep 6, 4:19 pm, Timberwoof > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> sqidbait > wrote:
> > On Sep 6, 1:57 pm, pinbob > wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test, you'll need to
> > > draw this keyhole diagram on your driveway and then go around the lollipop
> > > with a car on each side which is a realistic rendition of what it's like on
> > > the DMV course.

> > > If anyone has a PHOTOGRAPH of the California course, please POST it!!!!!!

> > It's easy to practice the test. Just go to your local
> > DMV on the weekend and try. Some sample photos I took
> > a couple years ago for a similar thread in reeky:

> >http://home.earthlink.net/~sqidbait/offAxis.jpg
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~sqidbait/start.jpg
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~sqidbait/loop1.jpg
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~sqidbait/loop2.jpg
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~sqidbait/back.jpg

> > It's not hard. I can do it on my CBR without
> > any problems.

> > BTW, I do NOT grant permission to host these photos
> > on other websites. Actually, not true - if Timberwoof
> > wants to include them on his FAQ page, that's cool
> > with me.

> Oh! Thank you. I'll link to them and credit you. But I snagged 'em in
> case your site goes down.

You should probably just display them directly. I've been thinking
about turfing that particular account.

-- Michael

Old September 7th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

P. Roehling wrote:
> "pinbob" > wrote
>
>> I would like to collect in one place for a friend and all new friends out
>> there the very hidden California DMV motorcycle and driving tests,
>> completely and fairly.

> "Very hidden"? They didn't hide anything from me. Just asked me to answer
> the questions on the written exam and then demonstrate some basic riding
> skills. I answered the questions correctly, demonstrated the skills, and
> that was all there was to it.
>
>> As you all know, the California Motorcycle Riding Test is nearly
>> impossible
>> to pass when done on your own

> Uh, no, I passed it on my first try, no problems.
>
>> (everyone passes when they are the sole judge
>> but almost everyone on a big bike fails because the test is well known to
>> be ridiculous and only for the purpose of funneling money to the MSF
>> "BasicRider" class which is a scam in and of itself).

> Bull****. The test isn't particularly difficult, and if you can't pass it
> you shouldn't be out there riding on the streets. That's why they want you
> to take the MSF: because you need lessons if you can't pass the test. (And
> if you think the civilian test is tough, I'd hate to hear your opinion about
> the CHP's motor-officer riding tests, which make the tests *we* take look
> like a walk in the park.)
>
>> Worse than being impossible, the California DMV absolutely REFUSES to tell
>> you what the test is, even if you fail one of the four parts, they won't
>> tell you what the next part is - and you only get three tries overall.
>>
>> So, the ONLY way to know what the text actually consists of is to get it
>> HERE!
>> http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/dmv_moto_test.pdf
>>
>> Since the California DMV forbids you practicing the test, (snip)

> Where did you ever get that idea? I simply went down to the DMV parking lot
> after they closed one day and spent a few minutes riding around inside the
> lines of the painted circle to see how hard it would be.
> It wasn't very difficult, and there's nobody there to stop you.
>
>> Good luck to all you new riders -- you're gonna need it!

> Or, alternatively, they *could* learn to ride *before* they try to take the
> test rather than whining about how "impossible" or "ridiculous" it is.

From looking at the CA tests and the written examples they post it
looks easier than the NY test I took.

Ours is a 25 question written test, then a riding test where you provide
a vehicle for the brownie who then follows you around on the course
(usually just normal streets, traffic and all). You listen for the chase
vehicles horn to tell you to turn left/right/stop. Then you do a
maneuvering test, One left loop one right loop, one figure 8. If you
touch your feet or the curb during any of them you fail. The usual area
you do these on is a narrow side street, about 16 feet wide or so. Took
mine on a Gold Wing and passed the entire thing in one shot.

--
Steve W.
Old September 7th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
P. Roehling

"Steve W." > wrote

> From looking at the CA tests and the written examples they post it looks
> easier than the NY test I took.
>
> Ours is a 25 question written test, then a riding test where you provide a
> vehicle for the brownie who then follows you around on the course (usually
> just normal streets, traffic and all). You listen for the chase vehicles
> horn to tell you to turn left/right/stop. Then you do a maneuvering test,
> One left loop one right loop, one figure 8. If you touch your feet or the
> curb during any of them you fail. The usual area you do these on is a
> narrow side street, about 16 feet wide or so. Took mine on a Gold Wing and
> passed the entire thing in one shot.

Thank you, Steve.

These "California's driving tests are unfair" threads pop up every so often;
and we'd all probably take them a lot more seriously if they weren't
invariably posted by somebody who couldn't hack the test and now wants to
cry about it in public.

The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards life:
"I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
anything!"

Old September 7th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
BrianNZ

P. Roehling wrote:

> The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
> pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards life:
> "I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
> anything!"

LOL......Thats not just an American attitude!

It's the motto for the 'Me' generation........
Old September 7th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Jim Benson

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:36:47 -0700, David White wrote:
=
> Thank you, Steve. Someone who passed an even harder test than the CA
> test. And, on a Goldwing no less.

Not likely.

I think he was referring to the WRITTEN test being harder ... 'cuz there's
no test in the entire USA that's harder than the idiotic California DMV
motorcycle rider lollipop test (as has been very well documented).

Basically, anyone who "says" they passed it on a GoldWing ... is lying.

Old September 7th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Jim Benson

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:42:28 -0700, P. Roehling wrote:
> The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
> pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards life:
> "I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
> anything!"

Even people who passed or didn't even take the test all agree, to a man,
the test is idiotic.

What do YOU think of the test? (Or do you have no clue what it is?)
Old September 7th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Jim Benson

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:48:54 +1200, BrianNZ wrote:

> P. Roehling wrote:
>

>> The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
>> pass them

I'd bet the statistics saved by the California DMV show, I'd guess, 98% or
more of the GoldWings FAILED this test. Believe me. I've seen it. It is
hard to pass on a bicycle. Try it before you say I'm crayzy!

BUt, rather than conjecture, is there ANYONE on this newsgroup who knows
someone in the California DMV who can tell us how to obtain the public
records of what bikes passed and which bikes failed?

They write down the bike before every test.

Is there ANYONE who can get us real California DATA or are we all left to
guess?
Old September 7th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
J. Clarke

Jim Benson wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 17:36:47 -0700, David White wrote:
> =
>> Thank you, Steve. Someone who passed an even harder test than the
>> CA
>> test. And, on a Goldwing no less.

> Not likely.
>
> I think he was referring to the WRITTEN test being harder ... 'cuz
> there's no test in the entire USA that's harder than the idiotic
> California DMV motorcycle rider lollipop test (as has been very well
> documented).
>
> Basically, anyone who "says" they passed it on a GoldWing ... is
> lying.

That include all the California cops who pass that and more?

The test described requires that the circle be significantly smaller
than CA, even if the degree of precision is less. That makes it
harder, unless you believe that precision of maneuver is impossible to
achieve.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 7th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
J. Clarke

Jim Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:48:54 +1200, BrianNZ wrote:
>
>> P. Roehling wrote:
>>

>>> The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster
>>> couldn't pass them

> I'd bet the statistics saved by the California DMV show, I'd guess,
> 98% or more of the GoldWings FAILED this test. Believe me. I've seen
> it. It is hard to pass on a bicycle. Try it before you say I'm
> crayzy!
>
> BUt, rather than conjecture, is there ANYONE on this newsgroup who
> knows someone in the California DMV who can tell us how to obtain
> the
> public records of what bikes passed and which bikes failed?
>
> They write down the bike before every test.
>
> Is there ANYONE who can get us real California DATA or are we all
> left to guess?

Why don't you just file a FOIA request for the data? But what
difference does it make?