Chevy will have a new RWD Police Car in 2011

Old November 12th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

Default Chevy will have a new RWD Police Car in 2011

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:38:16 -0700
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> Chevy is going to produce a 4 door RWD police car to compete with the
> Crown Vic in 2011. Guess what chassis it's going to be based on.

Something from Australia, I'd bet. -Dave
Old November 13th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Old November 13th 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> Chevy is going to produce a 4 door RWD police car to compete with the
> Crown Vic in 2011. Guess what chassis it's going to be based on.

Gotta be an Aussie chassis, they don't have anything here!

Does this mean the next gen Impala is actually going to be RWD? I hope so.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 13th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave C.[_4_]

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:11:36 -0700
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> 2011 RWD Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) - Full article from
> printed FLEET Magazine:
>

> The 2011 Caprice PPV will be available in two configurations: a
> 355-hp V-8 that generates an estimated 384 lb.-ft. of torque and a
> tamer V-6 model. An unmarked version will also be available.
>
> Unlike other police cars on the market, the Caprice PPV is not based
> on an existing "civilian" passenger-car model sold in North America,
> according to GM.

Awesome!!! We'll see those ****ers from many miles away, whether they
are marked or unmarked. Might as well light them up with pink and
green neon. -Dave
Old November 13th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:24:51 +0800, "Dave C." >
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:38:16 -0700
>Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>> Chevy is going to produce a 4 door RWD police car to compete with the
>> Crown Vic in 2011. Guess what chassis it's going to be based on.

>Something from Australia, I'd bet. -Dave

That was my first thought. I was wrong.
Old November 13th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Nov 13, 3:12*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:24:51 +0800, "Dave C." >
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:38:16 -0700
> >Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> >> Chevy is going to produce a 4 door RWD police car to compete with the
> >> Crown Vic in 2011. *Guess what chassis it's going to be based on.

> >Something from Australia, I'd bet. *-Dave

> That was my first thought. *I was wrong.

Where are you getting your info? All info that Google coughs up says
that it will be Holden-based, which makes sense - the only other
option would be Opel, but the Aussie platforms tend to be larger and
more robust.

nate
Old November 13th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

2011 RWD Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) - Full article from
printed FLEET Magazine:

The 2011 Caprice PPV will be available in two configurations: a
355-hp V-8 that generates an estimated 384 lb.-ft. of torque and a
tamer V-6 model. An unmarked version will also be available.

Unlike other police cars on the market, the Caprice PPV is not based
on an existing "civilian" passenger-car model sold in North America,
according to GM. The vehicle has been developed in key areas
specifically for police duty, containing modern equipment and
features.

One of the most notable features is a 6.0L V-8 engine with GM's
Active Fuel Management technology. Capable of running on E-85, the
vehicle also delivers 0-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. This
technology improves gas mileage during "cruising" by dropping out four
of the engine's eight cylinders, making the car essentially a V-4, but
functions as an eight-cylinder when needed, said Brian Goebel,
Chevrolet communications manager. By 2012, a V-6 model will also be
available.

Safety is a major emphasis of the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice patrol
vehicle. It will offer law enforcement officials optional front-seat
only side-curtain air bags. This will allow a full-width rear-seat
barrier for greater officer safety. Two trunk-mounted batteries will
offer the availability to power various police equipment within the
vehicle.

The Caprice is designed for five-passenger seating, meaning the
upper-center section of the instrument panel can be used for equipment
mounting without the concern of air bag deployment interference.

DESIGNED FOR A BETTER 'FIT’

"Along with Impala and Tahoe, the Caprice PPV gives agencies a
greater range of choices for police and special service vehicles
available from Chevrolet," said GM's Vice President of Global
Chevrolet Brand Brent Dewar. "We recognize the unique needs of law
enforcement agencies and feel we have developed a car that offers
[those clients] the features they need."

The V-8-equipped model will offer this "segment-leading top speed"
and sports car-like performance, according to Chevrolet designers,
because it is built on the same platform as the new Camaro. It uses
the longest wheelbase of the architecture - 118.5 inches - in addition
to a four-wheel independent suspension delivering responsive
high-performance driving characteristics crucial in law enforcement
scenarios.

While fuel economy has always been a concern of such high-performance
law enforcement sedans in the past, GM believes the Caprice PPV will
offer excellent fuel economy.

Designed specifically as a patrol car, the vehicle design includes
substantial interior room. According to the manufacturer, the Caprice
offers 112 cubic feet of interior volume.

The front seats are sculpted to "pocket" the equipment belt, which
greatly increases comfort for a greater range of police officer sizes.
The foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces are
designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt's various items,
allowing the officer's back to rest properly on the seat-back surface.

Police vehicles often serve as a remote office for many officials.
Increased comfort has long been one of the most primary needs of
officers based on customer feedback, Dewar said. "The shape also
enhances entry and egress, making it easier for officers to exit the
vehicle quickly. The seatback bolsters, for example, have been
purposefully contoured to pocket equipment on an officer's belt,
including a gun, Taser, and handcuffs, which rest comfortably in the
sculpted lower bolsters," said Bob Demick, lead seat design manager.
"That also increases the longevity of the trim cover surface." In
addition to comfort considerations, seat construction materials were
carefully selected by GM engineers, Derrick said. The high-wear
materials stand up to long hours of everyday use and provide long-term
durability and ease of cleaning.

Engineers worked on several iterations of the seat, testing versions
in the field for real-world feedback from police officers who used
prototype seats in their cruisers for a month. Their input helped
determine the final design, Demick said.

POLICE-SPECIFIC OPTIONS & ADVANTAGES AVAILABLE

The Caprice PPV's long wheelbase also contributes to spaciousness.
Features include:
* 112 cubic feet interior volume.
* Repositioned barrier between the front and rear seat allowing for
full front-seat travel and greater recline for officer comfort.
* 18 cubic feet trunk volume.
* 6.0L V-8 rated at an estimated 355 hp with an estimated 384 lb.-ft.
of torque.
* Backed by a 6-speed automatic transmission, performance-calibrated
for police duty.
*
A host of complementary features are also offered, including special
equipment packages such as spotlights, lockouts for power windows and
locks, and an unmarked street-appearance package, Dewar said. To
enable more room for interior equipment, the standard radio can be
relocated to the trunk, allowing for an in-dash, touch-screen
computer.

Chevrolet has provided law enforcement fleet vehicles since the late
1950s. In 1986, the Caprice name replaced the Impala. That first
Caprice included a 5.7L small-block V-8. Eight years later, a 260-hp
V-8 engine was offered in a new Caprice 9C1 model, making it one of
the fastest full-size police cars ever offered.

Government Fleet November/December 2009

Link to abbreviated article (with one photo) on FLEET magazine
website:
http://www.automotive-fleet.com/News...interstitial=1
Old November 13th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:38:45 -0800 (PST), N8N >
wrote:

>On Nov 13, 3:12*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:24:51 +0800, "Dave C." >
>> wrote:

>> >Something from Australia, I'd bet. *-Dave

>> That was my first thought. *I was wrong.

>Where are you getting your info? All info that Google coughs up says
>that it will be Holden-based, which makes sense - the only other
>option would be Opel, but the Aussie platforms tend to be larger and
>more robust.
>
>nate

See my reply to myself at the beginning of this thread.
Old November 13th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-11-13, Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> The V-8-equipped model will offer this "segment-leading top speed"
> and sports car-like performance, according to Chevrolet designers,
> because it is built on the same platform as the new Camaro. It uses
> the longest wheelbase of the architecture - 118.5 inches - in addition
> to a four-wheel independent suspension delivering responsive
> high-performance driving characteristics crucial in law enforcement
> scenarios.

Camaro's platform is Holden last I heard.

Old November 13th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2009-11-13, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>> The V-8-equipped model will offer this "segment-leading top speed"
>> and sports car-like performance, according to Chevrolet designers,
>> because it is built on the same platform as the new Camaro. It uses
>> the longest wheelbase of the architecture - 118.5 inches - in addition
>> to a four-wheel independent suspension delivering responsive
>> high-performance driving characteristics crucial in law enforcement
>> scenarios.

> Camaro's platform is Holden last I heard.

DAGS for "Chevrolet 2011 police" yields lots of results pointing to the
Holden Commodore/Statesman platform

Sadly, there just aren't any good RWD passenger car platforms in GM's US
stable, save for the Corvette and Caddy (if they are in fact using their
own.) All other US-designed platforms are FWD.

nate