2003 grand caravan sport diagnostic trouble codes

Old May 29th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
craig34

Default 2003 grand caravan sport diagnostic trouble codes

113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove
it 5 minutes,
turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456
(friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a
P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery
has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

Old May 29th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht

On Tue, 29 May 2007 00:37:19 -0400, "craig34" <craig.cochrane@no
spam.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove
>it 5 minutes,
>turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456
>(friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a
>P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery
>has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

Ignore the P1684. Look for a small leak in the evap system.

Old May 29th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Clint[_4_]

Is that the code that could also mean the gas cap isn't tight?

Clint

Old May 29th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

inspect and clean the battery terminals and battery if they are blackish looking
and make sure the clamps get nice and tight

Old May 30th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

bllsht wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 00:37:19 -0400, "craig34" <craig.cochrane@no
> spam.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove
>>it 5 minutes,
>>turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456
>>(friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a
>>P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery
>>has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

> Ignore the P1684. Look for a small leak in the evap system.

I strongly suggest this instead: Assume it is a leaking gas cap. It may
be that it wasn't screwed on tight. Or possibly a new gas cap is needed
(or it was replaced with an aftermarket cap - and they don't always seal
properly, in which case an OEM cap should be purchased and used).

Technically - yes - according to the book, that code indicates an evap
system leak. HOWEVER - after hanging out on a couple of Chrysler forums
for a few years, I can say that 9 times out of ten, when someone has
posted with code P0456 (evap system leak), the problem has turned out to
be the gas cap. Most of the time, it was a one-time occurrence (i.e.,
possibly someone didn't tighten it adequately - in which case, after
resetting the code, it doesn't come back).

Before spending any money or other time on this, I suggest you make sure
your gas cap is tight, reset the codes, then see if it recurs. If no
recurrence, then fuggedaboutit. If it does recur, consider that you may
simply need a new gas cap. Exhaust that path before assuming other more
PITA problems - and chances are that's as far as you'll have to go.

No guarantees though - if you rule out the gas cap as the problem,
*then* look for other leaks in the evap system.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old May 30th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
craig34

Now can I reset the codes by just disconnecting the battery? I was thinking
about doing that but its one of those things where you are damned if you do
and damned if you don't. I do have an appointment with the garage tomorrw

Old May 30th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
master tech

On May 29, 7:13 pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> bllsht wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 May 2007 00:37:19 -0400, "craig34" <craig.cochrane@no
> > spam.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >>113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove
> >>it 5 minutes,
> >>turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456
> >>(friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a
> >>P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery
> >>has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

> > Ignore the P1684. Look for a small leak in the evap system.

> I strongly suggest this instead: Assume it is a leaking gas cap. It may
> be that it wasn't screwed on tight. Or possibly a new gas cap is needed
> (or it was replaced with an aftermarket cap - and they don't always seal
> properly, in which case an OEM cap should be purchased and used).
>
> Technically - yes - according to the book, that code indicates an evap
> system leak. HOWEVER - after hanging out on a couple of Chrysler forums
> for a few years, I can say that 9 times out of ten, when someone has
> posted with code P0456 (evap system leak), the problem has turned out to
> be the gas cap. Most of the time, it was a one-time occurrence (i.e.,
> possibly someone didn't tighten it adequately - in which case, after
> resetting the code, it doesn't come back).
>
> Before spending any money or other time on this, I suggest you make sure
> your gas cap is tight, reset the codes, then see if it recurs. If no
> recurrence, then fuggedaboutit. If it does recur, consider that you may
> simply need a new gas cap. Exhaust that path before assuming other more
> PITA problems - and chances are that's as far as you'll have to go.
>
> No guarantees though - if you rule out the gas cap as the problem,
> *then* look for other leaks in the evap system.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Check for a cracked vacuum hose at these 3 places. 1) check the hose
that connects to the canister
under the vehicle on the left side right behind the cradle 2) check
the hose just under the throttle body 3) check the hose from the purge
selonoid to the metal line (you should remove the air cleaner to
properly inspect) Most of the time these rubber hoses crack. If the
hoses look good go ahead and replace the gas cap.Erase codes. If after
that the light comes back on don't waste anymore time and take into
the garage. They will run a test that takes around 15 mins and you'll
know if its mechanical or electrical.

Claude

Old May 30th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

9 out of 10 times it is the hose coming from the front passenger side of the
engine compartment. right were the green cap is for the emission hose. You
cannot miss it, as it is about 4 inches from the drier for the A/C. there
are two sections of a "foam rubber" type hose on each side of the green cap
that will have several cracks in it. Go to an autoparts store and get
emissions hose from them "about one foot" replace it. That happened on my
2003, as well as my friends 03 T&C with the 3.8.

Old June 8th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On May 28, 10:37 pm, "craig34" <craig.cochrane@no spam.sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> 113,000 km v6 3.3l. While driving today the engine light came on, I drove
> it 5 minutes,
> turned it off and cycled the key 5 times and I received 2 codes. P 0456
> (friend told me it was an Evap leak monitor small leak detected) And a
> P1684 which he said was battery disconnected within 50 starts, the battery
> has never been disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

Do the display codes display somewhere or do you have to do this
through a garage? And do you erase codes by disconnecting the
battery??