HELP with 1984 Ranger Stereo Instalation

Old March 6th 05, 03:07 AM

Default HELP with 1984 Ranger Stereo Instalation

I Have an 1984 Ford Ranger with the original radio in it. I want to put
a Kenwood stereo in. I have put in stereos that are straight forward
and in newer vehicles without problems.
I wired the new harness connector 8 wire plug and a 4 wire plug to the
kenwood harness. All are soldered and heat shrink tubing around them.

The 4 wire harness on the ranger only has 2 wires.
BLUE and YELLOW.
The new connector harness has 4 wires
YELLOW = 12 volt battery constant
RED = 12 volt ignition/switch
DARK BLUE = power antenna (dont need but still connected to the harness
on the kenwood)
ORANGE = illumination/dimmer

The new connector harness has 8 wires.
VIOLET (RR-)
VIOLET/BLACK (RR+)
GREY (RF+)
GREY/BLACK (RF-)
GREEN (LR+)
GREEN/BLACK (LR-)
WHITE (LF+)
WHITE/BLACK (LF-)
The connector from the ranger has 3 wires
PINK/GREEN
BLACK
WHITE
The speaker wires on the passenger side are BLACK and WHITE
The speaker wires on the driver side are PINK/GREEN and BLACK

Can someone out there help me get this stereo installed correctly?
I would like to have a 4 speaker system rather than just the two up
front.
Thanks in advance for your trouble and time.
Val

Old March 6th 05, 04:22 AM

I have looked in my Haynes repair manual for a wiring diagram. It
doesn't show a diagram for a radio. Bummer.
I think I probably need to find out which of the blue or yellow wire
is the power and the dimmer.
Then on the 4 wire harness hook up
RED = 12 volts Ignition/swithched to that BLUE or YELLOW which ever one
is the power and probably splice the ORANGE = ilumination/dimmer with
that wire.
Then with the BLUE or the YELLOW which ever is left probably hook that
to the battery or to the fuse box.
Will this approach give me the power to turn the radio on?
Am I on the right track with this thought? or is there an easier way to
do this?

For hooking up the two back speakers is it possible to cut the wires
VIOLET (RR+) VIOLET/BLACK (RR-) & GREEN (LR+) GREEN/BLACK (LR-) at the
new connector harness and wire the speaker wires directly from there?
Thanks agian,
Val

Old March 6th 05, 06:49 AM
« Paul »

Maybe something here will help:
http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html
Old March 6th 05, 01:16 PM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I Have an 1984 Ford Ranger with the original radio in it. I want to put
> a Kenwood stereo in. I have put in stereos that are straight forward
> and in newer vehicles without problems.
> I wired the new harness connector 8 wire plug and a 4 wire plug to the
> kenwood harness. All are soldered and heat shrink tubing around them.
>
> The 4 wire harness on the ranger only has 2 wires.
> BLUE and YELLOW.
> The new connector harness has 4 wires
> YELLOW = 12 volt battery constant
> RED = 12 volt ignition/switch
> DARK BLUE = power antenna (dont need but still connected to the harness
> on the kenwood)
> ORANGE = illumination/dimmer
>
> The new connector harness has 8 wires.
> VIOLET (RR-)
> VIOLET/BLACK (RR+)
> GREY (RF+)
> GREY/BLACK (RF-)
> GREEN (LR+)
> GREEN/BLACK (LR-)
> WHITE (LF+)
> WHITE/BLACK (LF-)
> The connector from the ranger has 3 wires
> PINK/GREEN
> BLACK
> WHITE
> The speaker wires on the passenger side are BLACK and WHITE
> The speaker wires on the driver side are PINK/GREEN and BLACK
>
> Can someone out there help me get this stereo installed correctly?
> I would like to have a 4 speaker system rather than just the two up
> front.
> Thanks in advance for your trouble and time.
> Val

On the front 2 speakers: LEFT: white>orig. pink/green &
wht/blk>orig.blk. RIGHT: grey>orig.white & grey/blk>orig.blk.
Now, on rear speakers: LEFT: green>lr spkr & green/black goes to lr
speaker. RIGHT: violet goes to rr speaker & viol/blk goes to rr speaker.
Shouldn't matter which of the 2 prongs on a given spkr. either of a pair
goes to.
You should be able to find where to splice in your new wires-- red to
power( on only with ignition ), yellow clock-wire to( an always-on) wire,
orange dimmer wire going to a( dash-lights ) wire. Tape up the end of the
dark blue ( power antenna ) wire.
FYI: The original yellow Ranger wire was PROBABLY the dash-light wire.
And the original blue Ranger wire was PROBABLY the power wire which was on
only when ignition was on.
HTH & good luck. Reply done during a 'couldn't sleep anyhow'-night.
Consider these circumstances when following direx!!! s