Alfa 156 SW Changing stereo

Old August 31st 05, 08:57 PM
Mike Johnson

Default Alfa 156 SW Changing stereo

Hi,

After changing the standard auto stereo to a SONY CDX-F7750S stereo I
have a problem connecting all the cables to it.

The unit doesn't have connection to all (3) cables from the car. The
problem with that is that when the the car key is removed all power is
cut to the unit. That means that I have to change all the setting each
time I start the car...

Does anyone know it I have to change some wires in one or more
connections to get power to the unit (eventhough the carkey is
removed) ?

TIA

MJ
TIA

MJ
Old August 31st 05, 09:42 PM
Catman

Mike Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After changing the standard auto stereo to a SONY CDX-F7750S stereo I
> have a problem connecting all the cables to it.
>
> The unit doesn't have connection to all (3) cables from the car. The
> problem with that is that when the the car key is removed all power is
> cut to the unit. That means that I have to change all the setting each
> time I start the car...
>
> Does anyone know it I have to change some wires in one or more
> connections to get power to the unit (eventhough the carkey is
> removed) ?

I had the same problem with mine. The 156 uses a Fiat variant of the DIN
wiring, with the permanent 12v going to the 'wrong' pin.
You may be able to get an adapter from Halfrauds or you can just put a meter
on the cables, find the permanent 12v and connect it to the correct pin,
which is what I did

Sadly I can't remember which cable it was but there are only 3 or 4 to check
on the power plug.

HTH
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 31st 05, 09:54 PM
Mike Johnson

Thankz

I'll give it a go or try to find something on the net (if possible)

MJ

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:42:22 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Halfrauds

TIA

MJ
Old August 31st 05, 10:08 PM
Catman

Mike Johnson wrote:

> Thankz

NP. I've messed around with enough car electrics that splicing the cables
didn't worry me, but each to their own.

Old September 1st 05, 12:35 PM
MatC

"Catman" > wrote in message
. ..
> Mike Johnson wrote:
>
>> Thankz

> NP. I've messed around with enough car electrics that splicing the
> cables
> didn't worry me, but each to their own.
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
> Triumph Speed Triple: Black with extra black bits
> www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Generally swapping over the yellow and red wires will solve this problem.
Most radios have a connector on the red and yellows to allow easy swapping.

Mat

Old September 5th 05, 11:12 AM
GT

Can you let us know which wire to move when you get it working - I have the
same problem with my new head unit!

Old September 6th 05, 01:19 PM
Mike Johnson

Hi

Yup. Will do.. But if anyone else have some input regarding this,
you'll be more than welcome to share your knowledge with us lost
souls.

MJ

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:12:27 +0100, "GT"
> wrote:

>Can you let us know which wire to move when you get it working - I have the
>same problem with my new head unit!
>
>"Mike Johnson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thankz
>>
>> I'll give it a go or try to find something on the net (if possible)
>>
>> MJ
>>
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:42:22 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Halfrauds

>> TIA
>>
>> MJ

TIA

MJ
Old September 7th 05, 08:50 PM
Mike Johnson

I found out that it's correct that if you connect the yellow and the
red one it seems that it keeps the power to the head unit. Exept that
you can't turn on the radio if the key is removed. But it keeps all
the settings.

If one wants to hear the stereo while the key is removed, you have to
switch the red and yellow cable in the adapter. That should do the
trick. But then the stereo will allways be on (until manually turned
off).

MJ

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:19:15 +0200, Mike Johnson
> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Yup. Will do.. But if anyone else have some input regarding this,
>you'll be more than welcome to share your knowledge with us lost
>souls.
>
>MJ
>
>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:12:27 +0100, "GT"
> wrote:
>
>>Can you let us know which wire to move when you get it working - I have the
>>same problem with my new head unit!
>>
>>"Mike Johnson" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Thankz
>>>
>>> I'll give it a go or try to find something on the net (if possible)
>>>
>>> MJ
>>>
>>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:42:22 GMT, Catman

>>> TIA
>>>
>>> MJ

>TIA
>
>MJ

TIA

MJ
Old September 7th 05, 09:06 PM
Catman

Mike Johnson wrote:

> I found out that it's correct that if you connect the yellow and the
> red one it seems that it keeps the power to the head unit. Exept that
> you can't turn on the radio if the key is removed. But it keeps all
> the settings.

Yes, I noticed that too. Bit of a PITA but I can live with it

> If one wants to hear the stereo while the key is removed, you have to
> switch the red and yellow cable in the adapter. That should do the
> trick. But then the stereo will allways be on (until manually turned
> off).

I'd rather not live with this, since I'm always forgetting to turn stuff
off

Old September 8th 05, 07:23 PM
Mike Johnson

Yep. I think I'll live with the fact that I can't hear music when the
car is turned off.

:-)

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:06:44 GMT, Catman
> wrote:

>Mike Johnson wrote:
>
>> I found out that it's correct that if you connect the yellow and the
>> red one it seems that it keeps the power to the head unit. Exept that
>> you can't turn on the radio if the key is removed. But it keeps all
>> the settings.

>Yes, I noticed that too. Bit of a PITA but I can live with it
>
>> If one wants to hear the stereo while the key is removed, you have to
>> switch the red and yellow cable in the adapter. That should do the
>> trick. But then the stereo will allways be on (until manually turned
>> off).

>I'd rather not live with this, since I'm always forgetting to turn stuff
>off

TIA

MJ