Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Old April 19th 09, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Canuck57[_2_]

Default Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

>> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>>
>>> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
>>> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
> condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.
>
> Reasons it is NOT mint:
> Wear on the brake pedal
> Wear on tires, wiper blades
> Pitting on the windshield
> Seat cover wear
> Weather-stripping wear or compression
> Dust in the engine compartment
> Oil anyplace at all
> Brake pad and rotor wear
> Dirty mats
>
> And hundreds more.

I think you missed Sharx35's point.

For the price of one car payment or much less you can fix all of the above.
And brakes don't need to be replaced every month. Most people spend far too
much on autos and I too have been guilty of this, just not as bad as most.

And if you take care of them, buy a well made one like many Honda or Toyota,
semi-heated garage, keep the maintenance up etc., 200,000 miles should be
easy to get. And if you do take good care of them and buy a good quality
model right off, you will likely spend 1/2 of what others pay for auto. In
a lifetime that adds up to a nice chunk of change.

Old April 19th 09, 01:09 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Canuck57[_2_]

"Björn" > wrote in message
On 19 Apr, 08:35, "Sharx35" > wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
>
> > In article <XbwGl.24206$PH1.12979@edtnps82>,
> > "Sharx35" > wrote:

> >> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
> >> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> > Some good reasons:

> > * to get newer safety features, so that you get more safety

> I have enough safety, thank you.
>

> > * your needs have changed--maybe you need a van or truck

> Nope.
>

> > Some bad reasons:

> > * "because I want to"

> > * "because I deserve it"

> > * "Well, Mr. Sharx, that's only $430/month. Just sign right here."

> Those last 3 reasons are put of the big credit problem in North America.
> Clue: one can NOT buy happiness.

But you can buy a lot of assholes and friends.
--------
Hey, if you have hard cash money, you can buy whatever you want. It
represents freedom, liberty and low worries. Assholes are a dime a dozen,
like you because you do not see it. Or maybe you do see it and screwed up
your own misserable life.

And like GM, you now want others to pay for it. LOL.

Old April 19th 09, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Marlow[_2_]

"Canuck57" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> news

>> There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
>> condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.
>>
>> Reasons it is NOT mint:
>> Wear on the brake pedal
>> Wear on tires, wiper blades
>> Pitting on the windshield
>> Seat cover wear
>> Weather-stripping wear or compression
>> Dust in the engine compartment
>> Oil anyplace at all
>> Brake pad and rotor wear
>> Dirty mats
>>
>> And hundreds more.

> I think you missed Sharx35's point.
>
> For the price of one car payment or much less you can fix all of the
> above. And brakes don't need to be replaced every month. Most people
> spend far too much on autos and I too have been guilty of this, just not
> as bad as most.
>
> And if you take care of them, buy a well made one like many Honda or
> Toyota, semi-heated garage, keep the maintenance up etc., 200,000 miles
> should be easy to get. And if you do take good care of them and buy a
> good quality model right off, you will likely spend 1/2 of what others pay
> for auto. In a lifetime that adds up to a nice chunk of change.

You missed the point of Edwin's post. As you are probably aware from
hanging around here - most of us are quite familiar with the concept of
maintaining and driving a car for 200,000 miles. We're also very familiar
with the claims of a car being "Mint".

--

-Mike-

Old April 19th 09, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Canuck57[_2_]

"Mike Marlow" > wrote in message

> "Canuck57" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
>>> condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.
>>>
>>> Reasons it is NOT mint:
>>> Wear on the brake pedal
>>> Wear on tires, wiper blades
>>> Pitting on the windshield
>>> Seat cover wear
>>> Weather-stripping wear or compression
>>> Dust in the engine compartment
>>> Oil anyplace at all
>>> Brake pad and rotor wear
>>> Dirty mats
>>>
>>> And hundreds more.

>> I think you missed Sharx35's point.
>>
>> For the price of one car payment or much less you can fix all of the
>> above. And brakes don't need to be replaced every month. Most people
>> spend far too much on autos and I too have been guilty of this, just not
>> as bad as most.
>>
>> And if you take care of them, buy a well made one like many Honda or
>> Toyota, semi-heated garage, keep the maintenance up etc., 200,000 miles
>> should be easy to get. And if you do take good care of them and buy a
>> good quality model right off, you will likely spend 1/2 of what others
>> pay for auto. In a lifetime that adds up to a nice chunk of change.
>>

> You missed the point of Edwin's post. As you are probably aware from
> hanging around here - most of us are quite familiar with the concept of
> maintaining and driving a car for 200,000 miles. We're also very familiar
> with the claims of a car being "Mint".

Mint to me means well kept, not abused, low wear and tear and well
maintained. Often used in the lax form, as not too many people buy them,
then flat bed them to a warehouse for the strict use.

Sore people are being more efficient with auto? Government, banks and auto
are the most expensive items in peoples lives, good to see the public is
waking up, all it took is a good recession.

Old April 19th 09, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ed Pawlowski

"Canuck57" > wrote in message
> Mint to me means well kept, not abused, low wear and tear and well
> maintained. Often used in the lax form, as not too many people buy them,
> then flat bed them to a warehouse for the strict use.

That makes you wrong too. Talk to a collector and they will laugh at what
you call mint. By your definition, it may be Good or even Excellent, but
not Mint. Any visible wear takes it out of the Mint category.

You can call a lump of coal a diamond, but it won't shine any brighter.

Old April 19th 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ed Pawlowski

"Canuck57" > wrote in message
> I think you missed Sharx35's point.
>
> For the price of one car payment or much less you can fix all of the
> above. And brakes don't need to be replaced every month. Most people
> spend far too much on autos and I too have been guilty of this, just not
> as bad as most.

No, I missed no point. Yes, you can fix all of the above for a car payment,
but the car will still not be "mint". Black, white, not even a hint of
gray.

Old April 19th 09, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Mike Marlow wrote:
> "Sharx35" > wrote in message
> newsLuGl.22792$Db2.11621@edtnps83...
>
>> Hmmm. My Camry is only ten years old so I won't be in the market for at
>> least another SEVEN years. Hypothetically, though, instead of the 99CE 6
>> cyl. I have, I might go for a new, closer to the top of the line Camry. To
>> me, Honda is overpriced.

> Who would want to driver around in an 17 year old car? 10 years is past old
> enough.

Me, for one... actually I think cars got past the point of diminshing
returns with added technology before then. My personal car is an '88
944 and I don't know that there's anything newer than that that I'd want
that doesn't cost a silly amount of money. If/when it dies I will
probably replace it with something used and cheap.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 19th 09, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Sharx35 wrote:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "Sharx35" > wrote in
>> newsLuGl.22792$Db2.11621@edtnps83:

>>> Hmmm. My Camry is only ten years old so I won't be in the market for
>>> at least another SEVEN years. Hypothetically, though, instead of the
>>> 99CE 6 cyl. I have, I might go for a new, closer to the top of the
>>> line Camry. To me, Honda is overpriced.
>>>

>> You haven't answered the question.
>>
>> The question was: What "sports car" would you buy that is within the
>> Honda
>> price range, but is not a Honda?

> Simple. I'm long past the mid-life crazies so I would NOT buy a sports car.

Some people just buy sports cars because they're typically small and
therefore easier to handle in a city; they handle well; they're
generally fun to drive.

If I have to spend hours of my day trapped in a rolling box, I might as
well enjoy it, rather than making it feel like a chore...

nate

Old April 19th 09, 04:06 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>>
>>> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
>>> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
> condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.
>
> Reasons it is NOT mint:
> Wear on the brake pedal
> Wear on tires, wiper blades
> Pitting on the windshield
> Seat cover wear
> Weather-stripping wear or compression
> Dust in the engine compartment
> Oil anyplace at all
> Brake pad and rotor wear
> Dirty mats
>
> And hundreds more.

Actually 130K is only about 80K miles; that's hardly getting broken in
for a decent machine.

nate

Old April 19th 09, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Canuck57[_2_]

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Canuck57" > wrote in message
>> Mint to me means well kept, not abused, low wear and tear and well
>> maintained. Often used in the lax form, as not too many people buy them,
>> then flat bed them to a warehouse for the strict use.
>>

> That makes you wrong too. Talk to a collector and they will laugh at what
> you call mint. By your definition, it may be Good or even Excellent, but
> not Mint. Any visible wear takes it out of the Mint category.
>
> You can call a lump of coal a diamond, but it won't shine any brighter.

By your definition, right off the lot it looses mint status. Thus no mints
really exist. Tires for example rot where they sit.