Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Old April 22nd 09, 03:20 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
cavedweller

Default Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

On Apr 21, 7:26*pm, "Sharx35" > wrote:
> [...]

> Oh? That is open to debate and I quote:
>
> Q] From Marty Robinson: Last week you quoted Sir Christopher Wren as
> referring to 'The Ailes, from whence arise Bows or Flying Buttresses to the
> Walls of the Navis.' I'm sorry to learn that Sir Christopher used the
> redundancy from whence.
>
> [A] This is another of those grammatical shibboleths, like avoiding a plural
> verb with none or not splitting one's infinitives, that are open to
> linguistic debate, to put it mildly. The argument against this form is that
> whence already includes the idea of coming from some place, so that
> including from makes it tautological.
>
> The debate is complicated by the fact that whence is not that common a word
> these days, being rather literary; I had trouble finding a modern example
> that wasn't prefixed by from. This is from Newsday of 11 November 2004: "He
> is a legendary figure in his native England, whence I have just returned."
> That's a good example of the "proper" use.
>
> Objectors to from whence have support in logic, but logic doesn't feature
> much in English constructions, especially idioms, which is how one perhaps
> should regard the phrase these days. One newspaper archive I consulted,
> hardly comprehensive, contained more than 250 cases of from whence just in
> 2004. It succeeds because it is informal and colloquial compared with whence
> used alone, a construction that is unusual enough to force readers to stop
> and work out the meaning.
>
> And even a brief look at historical sources shows that from whence has been
> common since the thirteenth century. It has been used by Shakespeare, Defoe
> (in the opening of Robinson Crusoe: "He got a good estate by merchandise,
> and leaving off his trade, lived afterwards at York; from whence he had
> married my mother"), Smollett, Dickens (in A Christmas Carol: "He began to
> think that the source and secret of this ghostly light might be in the
> adjoining room, from whence, on further tracing it, it seemed to shine"),
> Dryden, Gibbon, Twain (in Innocents Abroad: "He traveled all around, till at
> last he came to the place from whence he started"), and Trollope, and it
> appears 27 times in the King James Bible (including Psalm 121: "I will lift
> up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help").
>
> Though Dr Johnson objected to it in his Dictionary of 1755, calling it "A
> vicious mode of speech" (he meant it was reprehensible, not depraved or
> savage), most objections to it are no earlier than the twentieth century.
> One reason may be that its critics are unaware of its long pedigree.
>
> World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996-2009. All rights
> reserved. Contact the author if you want to reproduce this piece, but first
> see my advice page, which also has notes about linking. Your comments and
> corrections are welcome
>
> ******
> BTW, "troglodyte" is a better alias than "cavedweller".

Perhaps, but what would YOU ever do without Google?
Old April 23rd 09, 05:40 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>

>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> You do realize that he's probably posting from r.a.m.honda, yes? Or
>>> are you really that refreshingly clue-free?
>>>
>>> nate

>> Heh heh... Clue free is rampant these day!
>>
>> BTW, Howz JP doing???
>>

> Still alive and kicking, and buying Avantis against his better judgement
>
> I on the other hand have been listening to his advice and passing on all
> of them...

Yep, good time to bury your money in the back yard and keep at least 90
days of supplies on hand...

JT
Old April 23rd 09, 05:42 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

80 Knight wrote:

> "Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message
>

>>SMS wrote:

>>>Still lots of late 1980's to early 1990's Accords and Camrys on the road,
>>>still fetching 2-4K on the used market. You have to chuckle when you see
>>>the ads from Ford and GM trying to compare initial purchase prices of new
>>>vehicles, i.e. the Malibu, since they are forced to leave longevity out
>>>of the equation. It's not just having to purchase 2x the number of
>>>vehicles for the same time period, it's the resale value if you do choose
>>>to sell after only 8-10 years.

>>My neighbor who likes to fiddle with old (pre 1963) cars occasionally has
>>to work on his mother's late 1980ish Oldsmobile with a Quad Four engine.
>>Car only has about 80K on the odometer yet it runs like **** and is next
>>to impossible to diagnose or repair. Freakin' thing has been laid up for
>>months!
>>
>>Everything is in the way of everything else. Industrial engineering at
>>GM??? Not as far as I can see...
>>
>><sigh>

> Do you realize how foolish you make yourself look when you compair 2009
> vehicles to 1980's vehicles?

Went right over your li'l haid, eh?

JT

Old April 23rd 09, 06:50 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

> [...]

>> lift
>> up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help").
>>
>> Though Dr Johnson objected to it in his Dictionary of 1755, calling it "A
>> vicious mode of speech" (he meant it was reprehensible, not depraved or
>> savage), most objections to it are no earlier than the twentieth century.
>> One reason may be that its critics are unaware of its long pedigree.
>>
>> World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion, 1996-2009. All rights
>> reserved. Contact the author if you want to reproduce this piece, but
>> first
>> see my advice page, which also has notes about linking. Your comments and
>> corrections are welcome
>>
>> ******
>> BTW, "troglodyte" is a better alias than "cavedweller".

> Perhaps, but what would YOU ever do without Google?

Heh, heh. Spend even MORE time on the net, using a lower level of abuse?

Old April 23rd 09, 07:39 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_3_]

Sharx35 wrote:

> "Canuck57" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sharx35" > wrote in message

>>> I'd call it something else, like a complete lack of values...no
>>> wonder the world is in a recession.

>> That is why recession/depressions occur, too much fat and leach on the
>> hind, causes the economic animal to get sick. Once enough leaches are
>> off the hind, the recovery can begin. The more leaches shaken off,
>> the better the recovery. Far too many in sociaty BS their way with
>> their corrupt values.
>>
>> Sort of like GMers, it is everyone elses fault but GMs. Delusional
>> sickness for sure.
>>
>> Amazing how many in this recession do not have respect for debt.
>>

> Mike seems to wear it as a badge of honour. Frankly, anyone saddled
> with years and years of car payments because they INSIST on always
> trading in their vehicles is, IMHO, a loser.

Or someone who decides how to spend their own money instead of leaving
it up to you?
Old April 23rd 09, 07:41 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_3_]

Canuck57 wrote:

<snip>

> I tried retirement at 51 for 3 months, it sucked, I was bored. Decided to
> could do the 4 day work week every week.... maybe my next job. But taking
> every Friday off in the summer. I made sure of that before I started. And
> maybe do Costa Rica in December.

Now you're talking!
Old April 23rd 09, 09:24 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

"Tony Harding" > wrote in message
> Sharx35 wrote:
>>
>> "Canuck57" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Sharx35" > wrote in message

>>> That is why recession/depressions occur, too much fat and leach on the
>>> hind, causes the economic animal to get sick. Once enough leaches are
>>> off the hind, the recovery can begin. The more leaches shaken off, the
>>> better the recovery. Far too many in sociaty BS their way with their
>>> corrupt values.
>>>
>>> Sort of like GMers, it is everyone elses fault but GMs. Delusional
>>> sickness for sure.
>>>
>>> Amazing how many in this recession do not have respect for debt.
>>>

>> Mike seems to wear it as a badge of honour. Frankly, anyone saddled with
>> years and years of car payments because they INSIST on always trading in
>> their vehicles is, IMHO, a loser.

> Or someone who decides how to spend their own money instead of leaving it
> up to you?

ANYone is free to be a complete fool and waste their money--look at all the
idiots in the U.S. who ****ed themselves financially by not practicing sane
financial practices. Betcha you were one of them.

Old April 23rd 09, 09:25 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

"Tony Harding" > wrote in message
> Canuck57 wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I tried retirement at 51 for 3 months, it sucked, I was bored. Decided
>> to go back to work, new job has low hours, lots of time off. Just wish
>> we could do the 4 day work week every week.... maybe my next job. But
>> taking every Friday off in the summer. I made sure of that before I
>> started. And maybe do Costa Rica in December.

> Now you're talking!

People constantly trading in their vehicle will end up never been able to
retire.

Old April 23rd 09, 03:21 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_3_]

Sharx35 wrote:

> "Tony Harding" > wrote in message
>> Canuck57 wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I tried retirement at 51 for 3 months, it sucked, I was bored.
>>> Decided to go back to work, new job has low hours, lots of time off.
>>> Just wish we could do the 4 day work week every week.... maybe my
>>> next job. But taking every Friday off in the summer. I made sure of
>>> that before I started. And maybe do Costa Rica in December.

>> Now you're talking!

> People constantly trading in their vehicle will end up never been able
> to retire.

Agreed!

I've been retired 7 years now (lived in NYC 12 years while I was working
and didn't even own a car then - it was the first time I ever felt as
though I was making a lot of money) and highly recommend it. I was
cheering the Costa Rica part of your post - definitely on my short list
of places to visit before I join the choir invisible.
Old April 23rd 09, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding[_3_]

Sharx35 wrote:

<snip>

> GM should have been fed to the sharks.

It's not too late, or maybe the sharks don't want it?