Alternator will not produce current

Old December 6th 09, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George[_17_]

Default Alternator will not produce current

Hi there,

I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is one of
several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access to a
breakers yard. I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. I have a
manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to energise
and produce a charge for the battery.

There are several things that spring to mind. The engine is only
running at about 1000 rpm which according to the size of the belt
pullies, should be producing at least 2000 at the alternator. I have
connected the battery + directly to the main output and a link goes to
the no. 2 terminal on the regulator. The no. 1 terminal goes to the
+12v through a bulb and switch. The bulb does not go off at all.

Trying to short the earthy side of the slip ring to frame as suggested
by the book, by poking a screwdriver into the hole at the back of the
frame does not change the battery voltage at all. It is about 12.7
volts after starting the engine. This would seem to put the blame on
the rotor, the stator, the diode trio or the rectifier block, or some
thing else. As I have a lot of spare alternators of this type I have
been substituting varoius bits to try and find out why it will not
energise.

I have tested all the rectifier blocks, diodes, stators and rotors
with various meters and they all seem OK. I am sure the insultators
on the fixing screws are in the correct positions, all connections
vare clean, the resistance between two fixing screws on the brush
holder/regulator is about 40 ohms. But it will not go! The earth
cable goes to all the right places.

There must be something simple wrong that I am missing. I have had
this arrangement on many other US cars of that era and they all seemed
to charge OK on a fast tickover. Being on my own I must not be able
to see something. Has anyone got any ideas. Please.

Regards George.
Old December 7th 09, 01:53 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html

Old December 7th 09, 07:31 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George[_17_]

On Dec 7, 12:53*am, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> > Hi there,

> > I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is one
> > of
> > several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access to
> > breakers yard. *I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
> > etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. *I have
> > manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to
> > energise
> > and produce a charge for the battery.

> http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html

Hi there Dad.

It tells me " You don't have permission to access / on this server."

Do you know any way to test the regulators with an ohm-meter. Even
though I do not think this is the problem in this case, I have lots of
un - proven regulator blocks, what readings can be expected at the
various terminals? My next step today will be to leave out the
regulator and try and feed in external excitation control to the rotor
slip ring, - even an unregulated preset current would be OK in this
case. However the symptoms point to a power problem, or is it simply
not going round fast enough?

Regards George.

Old December 7th 09, 04:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"George" > wrote in message
On Dec 7, 12:53 am, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> > Hi there,

> > I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is
> > one
> > of
> > several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access
> > breakers yard. I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
> > etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. I
> > have
> > manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to
> > energise
> > and produce a charge for the battery.

> http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html

>Hi there Dad.

>It tells me " You don't have permission to access / on this server."

>Do you know any way to test the regulators with an ohm-meter. Even
>though I do not think this is the problem in this case, I have lots
>of
>un - proven regulator blocks, what readings can be expected at the
>various terminals? My next step today will be to leave out the
>regulator and try and feed in external excitation control to the
>rotor
>slip ring, - even an unregulated preset current would be OK in this
>case. However the symptoms point to a power problem, or is it simply
>not going round fast enough?

>Regards George.

Not sure how I can help you, that site has wiring diagrams for setting
up home generators. Plus it gives you a smaller "A" style commercial
pulley to use. What country are you posting from?

Old December 7th 09, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George[_17_]

On Dec 7, 3:20*pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> On Dec 7, 12:53 am, "Dad" > wrote:
>

> > "George" > wrote in message

> > > Hi there,

> > > I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is
> > > one
> > > of
> > > several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access
> > > breakers yard. I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
> > > etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. I
> > > have
> > > manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to
> > > energise
> > > and produce a charge for the battery.

> >http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html
> >Hi there Dad.
> >It tells me " You don't have permission to access / on this server."
> >Do you know any way to test the regulators with an ohm-meter. Even
> >though I do not think this is the problem in this case, I have lots
> >of
> >un - proven regulator blocks, *what readings can be expected at the
> >various terminals? * My next step today will be to leave out the
> >regulator and try and feed in external excitation control to the
> >rotor
> >slip ring, - even an unregulated preset current would be OK in this
> >case. However the symptoms point to a power problem, or is it simply
> >not going round fast enough?
> >Regards George.

> Not sure how I can help you, that site has wiring diagrams for setting
> up home generators. Plus it gives you a smaller "A" style commercial
> pulley to use. What country are you posting from?- Hide quoted text -

Today I got diverted by less interesting chores, but I am in UK. Not
a particularly risky location, I would have thought.

I just tried again and got the same error 403 message. You must be
thinking it is not reaching excitation speed though, from your
comments. Perhaps I shall bolt it down and wind it up a bit more. It
is not bolted down at present and this is why I don't want to rev it
over fast tickover. It starts to walk about.

Regards George.
Old December 7th 09, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"George" > wrote in message
On Dec 7, 3:20 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

Snip

Today I got diverted by less interesting chores, but I am in UK.
Not
a particularly risky location, I would have thought.

I just tried again and got the same error 403 message. You must
be
thinking it is not reaching excitation speed though, from your
comments. Perhaps I shall bolt it down and wind it up a bit more.
It
is not bolted down at present and this is why I don't want to rev
it
over fast tickover. It starts to walk about.

Regards George.

We're still just a bit leery of the English, they came over here and
taught us to kill indians once. Worked around Chorley and Wigan for a
few months, people seemed almost civilized. ;-))

Not thinking speed is the problem/issue but saw that it had been by
the presence of the smaller pulley on the site. Yes, it's a sort of a
survival site so it may have drawn so censure.

Sent you a diagram by email, may help.

Old December 7th 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"George" > wrote in message
On Dec 7, 3:20 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> On Dec 7, 12:53 am, "Dad" > wrote:
>

> > "George" > wrote in message

> > > Hi there,

> > > I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is
> > > one
> > > of
> > > several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access
> > > breakers yard. I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
> > > etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. I
> > > have
> > > manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to
> > > energise
> > > and produce a charge for the battery.

> >http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html
> >Hi there Dad.
> >It tells me " You don't have permission to access / on this server."
> >Do you know any way to test the regulators with an ohm-meter. Even
> >though I do not think this is the problem in this case, I have lots
> >of
> >un - proven regulator blocks, what readings can be expected at the
> >various terminals? My next step today will be to leave out the
> >regulator and try and feed in external excitation control to the
> >rotor
> >slip ring, - even an unregulated preset current would be OK in this
> >case. However the symptoms point to a power problem, or is it simply
> >not going round fast enough?
> >Regards George.

> Not sure how I can help you, that site has wiring diagrams for setting
> up home generators. Plus it gives you a smaller "A" style commercial
> pulley to use. What country are you posting from?- Hide quoted text -

Today I got diverted by less interesting chores, but I am in UK. Not
a particularly risky location, I would have thought.

I just tried again and got the same error 403 message. You must be
thinking it is not reaching excitation speed though, from your
comments. Perhaps I shall bolt it down and wind it up a bit more. It
is not bolted down at present and this is why I don't want to rev it
over fast tickover. It starts to walk about.

Regards George.

Sometime to excite a alt you have to rev them high briefly.

Old December 8th 09, 04:03 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Clams Canino

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Not thinking speed is the problem/issue but saw that it had been by
> the presence of the smaller pulley on the site. Yes, it's a sort of a
> survival site so it may have drawn so censure.

Site just worked fine here in the states.
Are the brownshirts starting to ban reading material in Europe again?

-W