e36 Knock and ping question

Old February 2nd 05, 08:23 PM
Erik

Default e36 Knock and ping question

1993 BMW 325i Automatic Transmission

I am using 91 Octane gas (Best I can find in Southern CA) and am getting
knocking and pinging when the car shifts into the next gear or under load.
It seems to go away with higher revs, but where I live higher revs are not
an option always. I have used fuel cleaner and good quality gas (to the best
of my knowledge - Chevron and Shell). I know the computer compensates for
gas octane rating, so I am puzzled. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

EJ

Old February 3rd 05, 02:48 AM
Raybender

Erik wrote:

> 1993 BMW 325i Automatic Transmission
>
> I am using 91 Octane gas (Best I can find in Southern CA) and am getting
> knocking and pinging when the car shifts into the next gear or under load.
> It seems to go away with higher revs, but where I live higher revs are not
> an option always. I have used fuel cleaner and good quality gas (to the best
> of my knowledge - Chevron and Shell). I know the computer compensates for
> gas octane rating, so I am puzzled. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> EJ

According to the instructions with my Peake Code reader, some '93 325's have
knock sensors and some don't. If the 5th digit of your VIN number is an 'F'
then your engine should have knock sensors. If it is a 'B' then you don't.

Assuming you're one of the lucky ones with knock sensors, then it appears that
the first thing to do is get them checked out - must have failed. If you don't
have knock sensors, then you need a thorough check to see if you might be
running lean, because of an air leak, poor O2 sensors, low fuel pressure, or if
your engine is carboned up. Compression test would tell you if you're carboned
up.

Best luck

Frank