Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jacqueline Passey

Default Automatic vs. manual transmission in a used Honda Civic

I am trying to find a good used Honda Civic hatchback with a manual
transmission in the Seattle area and so far haven't been having any
luck. I have found a few with automatic transmissions. The reason I
was looking for a manual is that it's a cheaper repair if/when it
breaks than an automatic (this is a car that I want to be able to drive
for a long long time) but since it may not be possible to find one I
was thinking maybe I should compromise and go for the automatic
instead.

Can anyone tell me more about how likely the automatic transmission is
to break down, at what approximate mileage range, and how much that
repair costs when it happens? Vs. breakdowns and repairs with the
manual transmission?

Thanks!