Automatic vs. Manual transmission

Old April 12th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SBH

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

Old April 12th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

SBH wrote:
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

--
Steve W.
Old April 12th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/11/2011 05:45 PM, SBH wrote:
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

lots of people know the answer to this. you could too if you could be
bothered to look up the numbers on the manufacturer's website.

you'd be better off asking the question "why" - if you don't want a
"rtfm" answer.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 12th 11, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-12, Steve W. > wrote:
> SBH wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>>

> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.

Old April 12th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"SBH" > wrote in message
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
> than an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and
> wants a manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the
> new transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
> more fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

In many cases, the automatic is at least as economical as, or sometimes
better than, the manual. The difference is not worth the worry. And
dats the truff, babe ruff.

Old April 12th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 04/11/2011 06:23 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2011-04-12, Steve > wrote:
>> SBH wrote:
>>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?
>>>

>> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
>> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
>> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
>> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
>> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

> But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
> responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.

"probably"?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old April 12th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-12, jim beam > wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 06:23 PM, Brent wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yep, The computer know how to shift the trans for economy better than
>>> you do. The only reason that older autos were worse than a stick was due
>>> to the slippage of the converter and the lack of close gearing. New
>>> trans have lock up, better gearing, better overall gear ratios and the
>>> computer controls make them work much better than a stick.

>> But for small cars with small engines an MT will probably still be more
>> responsive than an AT programmed for fuel economy.

> "probably"?

What you don't have a smart ass response about some special drag racing
automatic?

Old April 12th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SBH

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> On 04/11/2011 05:45 PM, SBH wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
>> than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
>> more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

> lots of people know the answer to this. you could too if you could be
> bothered to look up the numbers on the manufacturer's website.
>
> you'd be better off asking the question "why" - if you don't want a "rtfm"
> answer.

Silly me, why didn't I think of that....? Oh wait, I did, but that doesn't
erase my skepticism about manufacture mileage posting. It's similar to the
little guy enhancing the size of his johnson because it really isn't.
Therefore, I thought I'd bother myself twice and ask in here as well. You
know what they say about assumptions.

Old April 12th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mr.E

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:33:09 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>"SBH" > wrote in message
.. .
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage
>> than an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and
>> wants a manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the
>> new transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and
>> more fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

>In many cases, the automatic is at least as economical as, or sometimes
>better than, the manual. The difference is not worth the worry. And
>dats the truff, babe ruff.

The new Ford 6 speed auto has no torque converter. It uses a computer
applied clutch to start and shifts between two clutch driven gear
trains that change the ratios- one for odd, one for even gears.
I wonder how the clutch life will be.
--
Mr.E
Old April 12th 11, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

According to www.fueleconomy.gov, the "regular" automatic Fiesta is rated 29
city / 38 highway. The "regular" manual Fiesta is rated 28 city, 37 highway.
The SFE Fiesta, which has the automatic, is rated 29 city, 40 highway.
Interestingly, both the regular Fiesta automatic and the SFE Fiesta
automatic have a combined rating of 33. The regular manual Fiesta has a
combined rating of 32.

So, at leat in the government mandated tests, the automatic does get better
fuel economy than the manual. The fueleconomy.gov website allows individuals
to post fuel economy estimates. The individual estimates for the manual
transmission model Fiestas are higher that for the regualr or SFE automatic
versions (36.7 for the manual, 34.7 for the regualr automatic, 32.5 for the
SFE automatic). These are "personal" estimates, so take them with a grain of
salt.

Consumer reports tested both manual and an automatic versions of the Fiesta.
In the CR testing the overall mileage for the manual was 32 vs 33 for the
automatic. The manual got 39 mpg on the CR 150 mile trip. The automatic got
41 on the 150 mile trip. For CR the manual averaged 23 city, 42 highway. The
automatic averaged 22 city and 45 highway.

Be aware that the Fiesta automatic is not a traditional automatic. It is a
sort of computer shifted manual transmission. It is a dual clutch
transmission and unlike traditional automatic transmissions, it does not
have a torque converter. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission.

I have a 2011 Fiesta with an automatic. So far in my normal sort of driving
I am averaging just short of 36 mpg. I don't get a lot better on a long trip
(maybe 38 or so) but then I don't get much worse around town. I bought a
regular automatic Fiesta (not the SFE). The SFE model costs about $600 more
and although it has a higher highway rating (40 vs 38), the in town and
combined ratings are the same as the regular Fiesta. According to the Ford
salesman (not exactly an expert in my opinion) the SFE has additional
areodynamic features that allow it to achieve the higher highway ratings. I
doubt this (I didn't see any dramatic differences). I think it had more to
do with the tires (the SFE has different tires) and possibly the
transmission shift programming. I drove both and didn't really see much
different in performance between the two.

Ed