93 Ford Explorer Spark Plug Change

Old August 13th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 93 Ford Explorer Spark Plug Change

How difficult is a spark plug and wire change on a 93 Ford Explorer
4.0L, I have moderate mechanical skills, but have never talked a spark
plug change...

Thanks in advance.

Old August 14th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> How difficult is a spark plug and wire change on a 93 Ford Explorer
> 4.0L, I have moderate mechanical skills, but have never talked a spark
> plug change...
>
> Thanks in advance.

Somewhere between difficult and very difficult.

It's been a while since I've done it but the plug nearest the firewall on (I
think) the passenger side can only be accessed through the wheel well. I've
done it without removing the wheel but it might make it a bit easier if you
remove it. Make sure you have different size socket extensions, a universal
(may not need), and plenty of band-aids. The plug in the middle may also
try your patience but is not quite as bad. Keep trying different
combinations of extensions until you get one that fits on the plug and can
be turned.

I always change my plugs one at a time so only one wire is disconnected at a
time--no mixing up the wires. Same thing when changing wires--one at a
time. I like either the Bosch or Ford plug wires. I recommend that you do
not buy the cheap wires as they will cause you grief the next time you go to
change plugs. Also, I spray a little WD-40 on the plugs before installing,
both on the threads and the ceramic part. It makes it easier to thread them
in and get the wire off later without the wire getting stuck and coming
apart.

Old August 15th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

I do not find it extremely difficult but I do not thing the Ford
Explorer is a good car to start learning how to change plugs. You have
to go through the wheel well after jacking the front end up a little.

It is very easy to crack a plug when changing the plugs on the
explorer due to the fact that you need a universal socket and
extension. BE CAREFUL. Cracked insulators can look perfectly normal
and be very hard to detect when you crack them.
So be real careful on how you apply torque.

Good luck. You can do it but be CAREFUL !!!

Sam in Raleigh.

Old August 15th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
cmiles3

Ditto on the passenger side plugs. I'm able to crawl under my '93 4
door XLT, 4.0 liter v-6, without jacking it up; I use a foam rubber mat
on the ground to keep it comfortable, since I won't fit while laying on
my creeper.

Ditto on the various sizes of socket extensions and a universal socket
(or possibly wobble extensions).

Ditto on the bandaids. Wear gloves. You'll be working blind on at
least one, maybe more on the passenger side, and they will probably
require some force to break free. If you can't get it loose, try a
cheater on your ratchet, but be careful or you'll break off the plug.

After you do it once, you'll probably wonder why you didn't take it to
the shop, unless it goes well for you. Or you'll feel so good about
saving $100 that you won't mind the busted knuckles, and extra trips to
the tool store for the right combo of ratchet, sockets, extensions,
etc.

Old August 31st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jake B.

I have three early Explorers and so I go through this procedure several
times a year.

To make things even more comfortable, I usually remove the air-filter box
and duct. It's a good occasion to clean the MAF-sensor with a spray of
breakdust cleaner and pressurized air. A soiled MAF is sometimes responsible
for a bad performance.

To make sure you don't confuse any of the spark plug wires, you can change
one at a time. It might not be the most sophisticated way of doing it and
probably even take a few minutes longer, but you can be pretty sure that
everything's in place when you're done.